Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

My First Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:28 PM

My First Autocross

I went Autocrossing yesterday with the car club from my school and it was soooo much fun. I drove my dad's Crossfire and it was sweet. What are some of the best things I can do to help make my TA a better autocrossing car?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 PM

Re: My First Autocross

Probably the best immedeate thing is seat time. Nothing beats experience and getting to intuitively know how your car will handle at the limits. Looks aorund for other car cluibs holding auto-x or time trails.

After that decide how you want to spend your money. I've always felt tires were the biggest improvement you can make, whether an 'R' compound or an ultra-low tread rated DOT tire. Next would be shocks and sway bars. Somewhewre in there you'll want to get a harness to better hold you in your seat.

After that you can start thinking about engine and serious chassis mods. Pay attention to what you want to do because something that sounds cool on the street could put you in an uncompetative situation in a prepared class.

Have fun!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:17 PM

The bad news is you have a number of things on the car that don't help your classing. In short, there are things that bump you up classes, but don't really make the car any faster.

That said, there are many things you can do to make the car a much better autocrosser.

Good shocks (good for this use, not just a decent shock) are key. Bilstein HD's are example of a decent shock for a lot of uses, but that aren't up to the job needed here. Revalved Bilstein's (not SLP, not firm enough) and Koni's are really the only good options here.

Appropriate springs. Again, not all springs are good for this. Some are better than others, some just suck.

Appropriate swaybars. Yet again, there are variations on the theme. Some are too small in front, some are too large in the rear. Some just don't go together. Probably the thing I sell most are the bars I speced and had build for me by Addco. Hollow bars both ends, 35mm front and 22mm rear. I run them on my car, which is a pretty serious and potent autox car.

A limited slip differential designed for this use. Not all LSD's are right for the job. Some are, like Torsen's and Auburn's, but each of those brands have 3 versions *each*, and only one of each is right for autox use (and both are streetable).

The list goes on and on. Feel free to call me if you like. I'll be happy to help, it's what I do. And nothing is a secret around here.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
Pay attention to what you want to do because something that sounds cool on the street could put you in an uncompetative situation in a prepared class.

Have fun!
Yep, I am in that situation now, but I do it for fun, not competition so it doesn't bother me that I am always last in my class.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:14 AM

Sam Strano is the man when it comes to autocrossing for F-bodies. I'm getting ready to give him a call and pull the trigger on some autocross stuff.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 PM

1 Quick TA, clear your PM's
Old 09-04-2006, 08:00 AM

I was actually thinking bout AutoX myself. I shoot photos for them locally for the Philly Region SCCA. At first I kept on seeing a WS6 Formula do horrible so I figured the F-body wouldn't be good at it. Then there was a '01z28 from NYC that came down and he did great! Tore up the course in a stock z28 6speed. It was just the guy in the WS6 didnt drive fast at all.

Here's my latest gallery of Autox
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...rminsterAutoX/
Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 PM

Whatever you do, make sure your car is safe, and just go out there and do it! It'll then become somewhat clear on what you need to improve asa driver, and what the car can do better.

You may want to consider on saving some cash and enter an open track day at your local roadcourse too.. It costs more (like $100+) but you get more seat time and get to really open 'er up..

Experience over mods..