Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Looking to push my street car legally (Detroit)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM

Looking to push my street car legally (Detroit)

Not looking for competition events but rather to just drive my car somewhere local to get a feel for it....legally. Parking lot: cones: sounds great. Any advice in getting started? Is SCCA the way to go?

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM

Re: Looking to push my street car legally (Detroit)

SCCA Solo 2 (autocross) is an excellent way to get started. It's very safe and you don't NEED to do anything to your car to have fun. However this type of event does favor smaller sports cars and coupes. The only equipment you need is the latest SNELL approved helmet.
NASA(National Auto Sports Association) is also a lot of fun and I think it's a step up from Solo 2.
http://www.detroit-scca.org/
Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 PM

Also, the roadracing tracks around your area should have opentrack days.. Usually done by clubs and some schools.. Usually, they are called something along the lines of High Performance Driving Events. Basically, its an UNTIMED controlled event, usually with an instructor sitting shotgun.

You are split up into groups, and let you go out and run on the roadcourse.. passing is usually resticted to zones and pointby's.

A good place to start looking is on the events section of your local track. Get an idea of clubs, schools, and events that are happening.. and go from there..

You'll need a SNELL helmet, which one exactly depends, but getting the latest would be the safest.

make sure your car is in excellent condition. Its going to have to pass tech.. and you don't want to worry about the car itself your first time out.. Don't forget to clean out your car. You don't want anything in there.. including mats.

Tools and stuff... and then there's misc stuff people forget about, to support the actual driver itself.. Water, food, snacks, sunscreen, and a chair isn't a bad idea to bring along either. I like to stuff everything I need in a few clear big plastic bins with a sealed lid on top. It sucks to be stuck picking up cones in the middle of the summer heat, with nothing readily available to eat or drink, while being burnt!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:01 PM

Great info. Thank you.

-Scott.