Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

KYB AGX Adjustments

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM

KYB AGX Adjustments

Will be putting my KYB AGX adjustable shocks on my 94 Z28 this week. Anyone use them to Autocross? Was wondering where to start the adjustments? Full hard in front, medium in the back?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM

I used to use QA1's for autox, and I set them at 10 out of 12. They were super stiff, but since the course was flat, I didn't have to worry about skipping or anything.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM

I would start around there. A buddy of mine had those shocks and intrax springs. We played around with every adjustment, the car would either bounce or ride like ****. Ended up with just going real stiff and dealing with it. I would look into another shock, especially if your going to auto x it.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM

The rears are done and the front is started so I am going to at least try them before I decide to keep them or not. I have heard Koni's are better but I could not justify the price difference.

I have pretty much given up on ride and will be trading it all for handling. It's a track toy and not a daily driver and I am almost always in it alone.

I can reach the rears without jacking up the car, but can't see the ****. I think I will try and put a screw or something in the 1 mark on the **** so I can set it by feel.

The car looks funny with the back lowered and not the front. Like I have bricks in the trunk. Hope to get the front done tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by Techpriest; 08-09-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM

good luck with it.

Btw, once you ride in a car with koni's the price seems to get smaller and smaller.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Of course I was not able to get the car back together in time for the race. I did figure out how to mark the shocks though. I drilled a small hole on the edge of the **** at the 1. I put a small screw into the hole with a rounded head. They count counter-clockwise 1 to 8, 1 is weakest. So if I can feel the **** and find 1 I can turn it to 1 on top, then count clicks and turn it to the number I want. So I can adjust all 4 shocks without lifting the car or taking a wheel off.

It was over $500 more for the cheap Konis, about a grand more for the better ones. While I have no doubt they are better there is no way they would be $500 better on my car. It has 250k+ miles and lots of parts are worn out. For the same price as the cheap Konis I will get the KYBs, a front end rebuild kit, some new subframe bushings and pay for part of the subframe connectors. I figured the Knois on a worn out factory suspension could not possibly handle as well as KYBs on a fresh, upgraded, suspension.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:12 PM

I understand what your saying. But as i said before once you take them for a ride you wont want to let them go.

Glad you making progress with the Kyb's, much more than me and my buddy ever did.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Actually put some miles on the KYB AGXs today so thought I would report back to help out those that find this thread later.

Took a trip with them set to 3 front and back (1 is softest, 8 is firmest) and the ride was firm, but still much better than I had before with the worn out factory shocks.

I then set them all to 1 and rode home. Some town driving and about an hour on the highway. Wow, even better. Still stiff when hitting big bumps, but smooth enough on the highway to make you forget your in a sports car. I think I will leave them on 1 for street use. I can still take corners fast enough to attract the attention of law enforcement, so no reason to get any stiffer on the road.

For those that find this thread when searching for KYB AGX, here is a note. If using lowering springs make sure you order part SB103, shock boots, x2 for the front. The factory boots have larger bump stops and with lowered springs you won't have as much travel. They KYB ones not only protect the shock better, but have smaller bump stops. They do NOT come with the shocks, you need to order them separate. The rear does not need boots.

I can adjust all 4 without jacking up the car or using any tools. With the screw marking "1" I can lay on my back and reach the rears and adjust them by feel. For the fronts I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and do the drivers side, then all the way to the left and do the passenger side. Oddly, the rears are marked 1 to 8 going counter-clockwise and the fronts are 1 to 8 going clockwise. I will print that on a label and stick it on the driver's visor for when I forget.

Again, not comparing them to Konis. If you can afford the Konis everything I have read says they are better. Considering what I paid, less than $400 for the set of 4, I am very happy with the KYBs so far.

Will report back once I autocross with them.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Glad you like em. looks like your having better luck then me and my buddy.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Has anyone else had to order these?

For those that find this thread when searching for KYB AGX, here is a note. If using lowering springs make sure you order part SB103, shock boots, x2 for the front. The factory boots have larger bump stops and with lowered springs you won't have as much travel. They KYB ones not only protect the shock better, but have smaller bump stops. They do NOT come with the shocks, you need to order them separate. The rear does not need boots.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Techpriest
Will report back once I autocross with them.
On the way to the next autocross the flywheel broke. I ended up selling the car so I never got to try the new shocks and springs on the track. So sorry I can't report on how it felt to drive it.

Finished up the year with a 99 S-10 Xtreme. Not as sporty as the Z28 was, but a lot more practical. Took first place in HStock with it.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 PM

just put a set of agx's on at work the other day along with vogtland springs...im not a huge auto x person so i went with this setup to take place of my 140k orignals....set them to 5 on the drive home lol way to stiff...but set them to 1 all the way around and rode great...ive read tons of bad reviews.. but i disagree..but then again i do not auto x my car and my car doesnt feel that much different on everyday driving than my friends with konis...for the money..i think their great...def. rec. new strut mounts as well
Old 06-06-2009, 06:25 PM

Have had a set of KYB AGX on my '96 Z28 (way back when) I would highly recommend another shock. They didn't last 6 months of driving with 4-5 autocrosses. If you are seriously looking into an adjustable shock, I highly recommend Koni SA (single adjustable). They are the best shock I've ever had. I hear a few guys running the QA1, but a few friends have had to repeatedly replace at least one of them ever 6-9 months.