Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Got my first taste of Autocross!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:07 PM

Talking Got my first taste of Autocross!

I went out with the local Corvette club. They rent a huge parking lot and set up cones. What a blast . The guy scared the crap out of me the first run since it was in the rain!! I was surprised they still raced as it was raining, but it did clear up and actually get warm out. I was riding with my insurance agent no less in his 88 Vette and what a blast! They're having another event in a couple of weeks that I am planing on participating in.

Any suggestions on car prep other than the obvious? (97 Z28, 6 speed)

Thanks
Cool ZR
Old 09-26-2005, 06:55 AM

Re: Got my first taste of Autocross!

Allready looking forward to the next event? Consider yourself hooked.
I've been autocrossing for about 5 years, but I've only had my Z28 for about 2 months. So I'm still learning the car and getting things sorted out. But I can tell you some basics. First of all, don't worry about modding the car just yet. First rule of autocross is you have to make yourself faster before you can make the car faster. Give it a few more events to get the feel of things. Remember to look ahead. Compare yourself to another driver whose times are close to yours, but slightly faster. When you find yourself beating that guy consistantly, you'll know you've gotten better. Also, for a beginner, I would recommend staying in stock class as long as you can. It won't cost you as much money because you won't be forced to mod your car like crazy to be competitive. When you are ready for mods, start out with the mods that are legal for stock class. Better brake pads, bigger front sway bar, better shocks (preferably Konis), softer tires, and a nice cat back exaust for a few more ponies. I'm giving you very general information here. If you want the finest details on what parts work best for your Camaro, call or e-mail Sam Strano at stranoparts.com. He's an SCCA ESP national champion. His car of choice?.. A 2001 Z28. He is the f-body suspension guru He will set you straight.

Last edited by autoxr; 09-26-2005 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the info on that.

I was actually referring to checking the car over before competing with it. I have n oplans of modding it as like you say it won't do me any good till I get better at it. Slower is faster!

Thanks, any suggestions on checking the car?

Cool ZR
Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 AM

You mean just a general prep to make sure everything is safe and ready to go? If that's what you mean, then the stuff they look for in tech inspection is ... make sure the battery is secure, make sure the lug nuts are torqued(I think 100 ft/lbs is recommended), there should be no fluids leaking from the car that might get onto the course, tires can't have cords showing (they can be bald, just no visable cords), obviously the seatbelt needs to be there and in working condition, they may check the throttle return, an I've been to some places that made me accellerate in a straight line and brake hard with my hands in the air to show that it doesn't pull hard one way or the other. And last but certainly not least, a good wash and detail allways shaves time off the clock. Cleaner is faster.