Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Good sites to learn about autocross?

Old 09-14-2004, 07:53 PM

Good sites to learn about autocross?

Im going to be turning 18 soon, and have started driving my car around the backroads alot (since its not too fun in a straight line with a v6). I saw the article about autocross in motor trend a few weeks ago, and since then have been really excited about racing my car with little risk of damage. I was wandering how bad will this tear up my tires and such, and what are some good places to learn about solo2? I live in northern Kentucky if that helps. Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 03:29 AM

Re: Good sites to learn about autocross?

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/
Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 AM

http://www.scca.com/

You should have a local chapter in your area.

Try: http://www.scca.com/Inside/Index.asp...ndiv-east&%7E=
Old 09-15-2004, 10:42 AM
WOT

Originally Posted by raiderman119
Im going to be turning 18 soon, and have started driving my car around the backroads alot (since its not too fun in a straight line with a v6). I saw the article about autocross in motor trend a few weeks ago, and since then have been really excited about racing my car with little risk of damage. I was wandering how bad will this tear up my tires and such, and what are some good places to learn about solo2? I live in northern Kentucky if that helps. Thanks

I live in Louisville. Good bets for you are Kentucky Region (Louisville), Central KY Region (Lexington), and Cincy Region. Although Cincy Region events are poorly run.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:38 PM

Just go to one. Don't think twice. It's free to watch and cheap to run. There's almost always someone nice enough to show beginners around.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:25 PM

http://www.ner.org/soloII/teamchal.html

I am signing up for my first Autocross with a team for this October 30th (2004) at Fort Devens in MA. I have never been to an event like this so I was not sure what to expect. However this site has a detailed explanation of how the Autocross works and walks you through the details. See the link above for other good info.

I drive a 2000 – T-Top Z28 Camaro, 6 spd, 8 cycl, 16 inch wheels but the widest Dunlop tires I can buy without the rubber rubbing the front fenders. Anyone out there in F-Body land know what I can expect at this event? I am looking for pointers like “keep your anti-slip on” or “what are you nuts? Turn it off”. Also driving tips would be a perk as well.

For reference my car is classified as a grade F. My brothers 2004 Mitsubishi Spyder is a grade G and the one other team member is a grade D with his 2004 Subaru WRX STi.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by Acer; 09-29-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:13 AM

I have some info on my site too... hope this helps.

http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/autocross.htm
Old 10-01-2004, 10:16 AM

Some really basic pointers.
Get the best helmet you can afford. SNELL 2000 minimun.
Ware loose fitting cotton clothes. Blue jeans & T-shirt are fine.
Ware soft soled shoes.
Fill your tires to the max before leaving. 36, 38, 40psi. what ever it says on the sidewall. You can adjust them down at the track.
Go to the book store and buy a book on high performance driving.
Get and read the Rule book.
You can't have anything inside the car, including floor mats. So plan accordingly.
Make your first run slowly, and RELAX!!!!
And most important. Don't expect to much, just have fun.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:54 PM

Post Re: Good sites to learn about autocross?

When I was starting out. The first and probably the biggest lesson I learned was to walk the course at least twice. It is half the battle. I try to visualize myself driving through the course when I walk it. I even walk slower in the slow parts and faster on the straights.

I'm not sure what your driving level is, but i stunk when I first started. Try to ask people for advice and ride alongs. Try to copy the things that make them fast. When you work the course, I almost always choose coneworker. Use you eyes and your ears to see and hear where people gas and brake. You can actually hear the engine decelerate and accelerate. If you are a cone worker, you can see the angle of their front wheels. You'd be suprise at how much you can learn about your own driving by watching others.

Good luck, remember to have fun too. =)
Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 AM

This will help

Survival Guide

You can always go to the first event as a spectator to see how the event runs in general.

Most clubs have loaner helmets.

Have fun!
Old 10-05-2004, 01:50 PM

Acer,

I'll be at that event - black Trans Am, big silver "45" on the side. Kinda hard to miss.

The Team Challenge is a very informal event we stage at the end of every season. Teams are teams of 4, either formed ahead of time or at the event - either by finding 3 other people or assigned by "committee" Points for each team are awarded by finishing position in class. Team with the most points "wins".

There are also prizes awarded for best team name, best costumes, best decorated cars, and just about any reason someone wants to give a trophy for!

BTW, I think the STi is "grade" A, or A Stock.

Arrive early, get tech'd early, register early. There are plenty of people who'll answer questions. Instructors are available and free - use them, and listen to them! Bring something to make numbers with - big, legible, contrasting numbers.

Walk the course! You may only get two to three walks at it. Follow some experienced people, listen to what they say.

Pack a lunch and plenty of water. Dress warmly in the morning, Devens can be cold at 7am. Paper to draw a course map may help you - they do not hand out course maps so you need to draw your own.

If I can answer any questions for you, stop by.

Remember, have fun!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 03:46 PM

This is turning out to be the most informative board that I have ever posted on. Thanks to all who are contributing! Keep it coming, as I will just direct others to this board instead of sending out links.

Jeff – Nice to hear this is informal. I’ll see you there, my Camaro Z28 is silver and really does not stand out so I’ll keep an eye out for “45”. If any other readers are going to be at this event post it here, it will be nice to “know” the some other F-body Autocrossers.

I still have not figured out what to do about the anti-slip feature on the Camaro during the race. I only stress this question, because it seems to have such an overwhelming effect on the cars handling. For those that are not familiar with this “feature”, it can be summarized as a sensor that detects wheel spin or low traction and then the accelerator physically pushes back against the drivers foot to prevent further loss of traction acceleration. The reaction force from the pedal is significant. I find it useful on a single turn but I could imagine it to be crippling in a slalom if the sensor does not react fast enough. On the Camaro there is a button on the dash to turn this off. Ahh what I would give for a big empty parking lot near my house!

Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 AM

TURN IT OFF!!!!