Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Drag-race to Autocross conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Drag-race to Autocross conversion

Due to a military move to Germany, I am looking to completely redo my suspension. In the states I was setting up for drag racing, but now would like to get into autocrossing and be able to handle better during autobaun speeds of 120+mph for long periods.
My current setup consists of:

QA1 front and rear 12ways
Hal drag springs up front, Eibach 1.5" rear springs
BMR tubular upper and lower a-arms (adj. rod-end lowers)
BMR k-member
BMR tubular subframe connectors
BMR rear lower control arms
BMR adj. panhard rod
BMR strut brace
1LE front swaybar and a stock Z28 rear bar

What can you suggest/do to prevent sway and improve performance during high speed turns keeping as many of the items I am currently using now?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 AM

Re: Drag-race to Autocross conversion

you've actually got a really good setup. swap out the front springs and you'll be fine. Just get the car lowered to match in the front. stranoparts.com has good sway bars if you would want to upgrade there. by having tubular control arms (upper and lower) and by having a tubular k-member, you have a pretty solid front end. since those come with poly bushings, you're set there as well. you should be fine as you are, with the exception of the front springs. Oh, and buy the Baer Track kit for the front of the car. 800 bucks with the slotted,drilled and zincwashed rotors but its well worth it. stock rear brakes are fine. you can always add some eradi speed rotors on them to match the lookds for another 255 bucks. I'd imagine brakes are pretty valuable on the autobahn. lol
Old 06-08-2006, 05:49 AM

Thanks.

Good idea for the breaks. There are usually some hard stops because some people don't care how fast you are going and pull into your lane doing 75MPH.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 PM

you should be perfectly fine with that setup. I've comfortably driven the stock lt1 suspension setup at 130mph so imagine you can breeze through that with the mods you have.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
you've actually got a really good setup. swap out the front springs and you'll be fine.
I'd disagree about his setup being really good. As a matter of fact, I have e-mailed Brian back (he contacted me directly). The shocks are junk. The K-member is not up to any kind of lateral loads. The rear control arms could be a problem. The bars aren't big enough (mostly in front), etc.

He wants good stabilty, and that starts with proper dampers, which QA1's aren't.