Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Can I get good autocross performance from 16s ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:52 PM

Can I get good autocross performance from 16s ?

I just came back from a local auto-x event and i have serious understeer problems. It's only been my second auto-x so i'm sure my corner entry speed is too high but I'm also using terrible dunlop h rated tires up front and some old gscs on the rear. I'm very limited on funds so unless I find a wicked deal, 17" wheels are out of the question.

Here's my dilemna though- I need new rear tires soon so do I buy some cheap street tires for the back and get some v700s on salad shooters(which I already have two extra) for racing? Or should I buy 4 dual purpose street/race tires like a Yok AO320r (probably a compromise in both cases)? Or should I just wait for some bigger/wider wheels and to the street/race purpose tire on those and forget about 16s all together?

I ran about 7 seconds off the FTD cars and feel that I will improve with the tires I have now but only by a few seconds at best. With better tires i feel I can improve more quickly and the only limit will be me and not the "hardware" I'm using.

My setup is in my sig for those who need reference.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-16-2004, 07:08 PM
WOT

Tires will be the biggest drop in times-car mod wise. At local autocrosses it's more about driver skill than your car. You can probably be plenty fast on 16's.

For the first year you need to focus on making as many events as possible and doing a driving school if you can. If you can't afford or make a school get with an experienced driver in a similar car. Ask a lot of questions and maybe get them to walk the course with you. Right now you need to work on yourself more than the car.

It's so easy to spend money on your car (I did too my first year). If I had taken evolution school first and sacrificed a few mods I'm positive I'd be doing much better right now (my 2nd year just now took evolution).

What's more impressive getting little out of a great car or doing a lot with a mediocre one?

EDIT: I see you have hotchkis lca's. If they are poly/poly you need to get rid of them. They will bind up. You need either stock lca's or lca's with a spherical rod end or two.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:42 PM

the 255/50/16 Kumho Victorracer V700 would give you way more grip, and %traction a little less than 275/17s

or just get some decent street tires to learn on and drive on every day for the first year
Old 05-18-2004, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys you are right...I need more seat time. I'll probably get some better street tires and some race ones in a year or so.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:05 PM

i let a guy who is rebuilding the motor of his 951 share my car at the local PCA autocross last week. I have dry rotting 225/16 pirellis in the front, and the original GSCs that were on the front of the car when it left the factory in 93 on the rear.

The mods are in my sig. He was in the middle of a 55 car pack, right up there with his brother that was driving a modded 951 running a lot of boost. they usually run about 1 second apart when they share a car.

you can draw your own conclusions.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 PM

If your looking for good but cheap race tires;then I have the answer for you. I have 4 Hoosier 275/45/16 road race tires(non-radial) Brand new. I just tried out a set on my 99 T/A that puts down 400 rwhp at Pocono a couple of weeks ago and they worked extremely well. I'm selling each tire for $100 plus shipping.Oh yeh they do fit factory rims and don't rub.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:39 AM

thanks GONEB4U but i have a line on some 17s and 555R2s for a good price.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 AM

I'll second the recommendation that you get some good max-performance street tires and learn on them. After you've warn them down to the cords you'll be in a better position to gage that you want to do next.