Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:46 AM

Big Brakes

Ive always wanted to upgrade my brakes but since doing some road course it has become a necessity. I have seen ZO6 upgrades but I understand you need a bracket that isnt being made anymore. DOes anyone have any experience with the Wilwood 6 pistone setup? Its the biggest and cheapest I can find but it seems wilwood is more into looks than racing? I cant afford the Brembo setup. Baer/Alcon is the most reputable and in the mid range as far as I know but I just dont know anyone who races Fbodies. Anyone know what is best/most reliable? I suppose I should post this in the chassis section as well.
Thanks,
Pat
Now one more question-

Last edited by SSTAT; 04-13-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:13 AM

I'd recommend going to the 98-02 LS1 front brake setup first. I just did this, and with a good race pad it is an excellent system. I run Carbotech XPs and at my last track day it was amazing how hard I could brake the car. Braking was better than my Z06 with PFC Z rated pads (not really a full race pad, but a good compromise street/track pad). Plus, the brakes held up to a full 20 minute session on a track that is very hard on brakes.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 AM

Some people might disagree with me, but I have found that upgrading the LT1 single-piston calipers to the LS1 calipers is a good, cost-effective mod to the brakes. Then get good pads, good fluid and quality rotors (Brembo OE) and you should be "good to go". It's cheap, you can get reman calipers at any autoparts store and (with good pads and fluid), you shouldn't have any fade issues.

In my experience, anyway.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:51 PM

I run the Wilwood 6 pistons in front and after I installed them all I could say is WOW. The difference is night and day. Well worth the money but I wouldn't recommend the pads they send with the kit for street use as they are noisy at low speeds.

Oh let me put it this way.. without the ABS on they lock my front wheels at over 120km/h
Old 04-24-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by johnny o
I run the Wilwood 6 pistons in front and after I installed them all I could say is WOW. The difference is night and day. Well worth the money but I wouldn't recommend the pads they send with the kit for street use as they are noisy at low speeds.

Oh let me put it this way.. without the ABS on they lock my front wheels at over 120km/h

My ZO6 brakes will lock them up momentarily at speeds higher than that with the ABS still on. And that's with a factory GM pad
Old 04-24-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS
My ZO6 brakes will lock them up momentarily at speeds higher than that with the ABS still on. And that's with a factory GM pad
As will LS1 brakes with Carbotech Panther Plus pads on all corners, except you can modulate the abs at 120 mph, not kph (210 kph, roughly). And, 3 successive 135 mph to 0 stops produced 0 fade.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:28 PM

Big brakes are not going to stop you in any less distance than your stock brakes. Axle hop limits the amount of braking force our cars can put down, and even the stock brakes with good pads will reach this limit. What bigger brakes will buy you is repeatability, as they will take more heat, and durability of parts. Big brakes can theoretically hurt braking performance, as they generally weigh more and move the weight out farther from the center of the hub.

That being said, I am pretty happy with my LG G-Stop brakes.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 PM

i have stock brakes with premium canadian tire brake pads. I cannot get the ABS to kick in on dry pavement. Does that mean something is wrong with ym brakes? Ijust assumed lt1 stock brakes are crappy
Old 05-12-2004, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by med_reject
i have stock brakes with premium canadian tire brake pads. I cannot get the ABS to kick in on dry pavement. Does that mean something is wrong with ym brakes? Ijust assumed lt1 stock brakes are crappy
is that pad supposed to be a really hard pad? With any half-assed pad you should be able to invoke the ABS on dry roads.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:15 PM

depends on tire grip too, but i can't lock up my LT1 brakes in a straight line (dry) w/ PFC -4 pads

that's why i got LS1 brakes and Hawk HP+ sitting on the floor ready to go in.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:25 PM

I could lock engage ABS on my stock LT1 brakes with the stock factory pads. Of course that was on the stock crappy Firehawk SZ (non SZ50) 6 year old tires that came on the car. With the LS1 brakes, I can engage ABS on my Nitto 555R II race tires with either street pads or the Carbotech XPs. The difference is that the Carbotechs have the same stopping power over an entire session and are much easier to modulate.