Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Battery relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 10:41 AM

Battery relocation?

Does anyone know the rules regarding battery relocation in autocross?

thx
Old 12-15-2004, 04:21 PM

Re: Battery relocation?

Depends on class and organizing body. The largest is SCCA. Go to there site and look under the rules.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:15 PM

Lol I answered my own question right before I saw your post telling me to answer my own question

In case anyone cares in the future...

"14.9 Electrical System

B. The make, model number, and size of the battery may be changed but not its voltage.

C. Relocation of the battery or batteries is permitted but not into the passenger compartment. If the battery is relocated and the original battery tray can be removed by simply unbolting it, the tray may be removed, or relocated with the battery. Holes may be drilled for mounting or passage of cables. Longer cables may be substituted to permit relocation. The number of battery or batteries may not be changed from stock. The area behind the rearmost seat is not considered to be within the passenger compartment."

Not that anyone on this board reads this section anyway.....
Old 12-15-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sandman_97Z
Not that anyone on this board reads this section anyway.....
I do.

Rather than relocate my battery, I replaced it with a Genesis high current gel cell. It only weighs 14 pounds, which is thirty pounds less than the Optima yellow top. I had to make a custom battery hold down, but it mounts in the original location quire nicely. I'm also removing 18 lb. of mass from the hood by going fiberglass, 9 lbs by replacing the bumper support with an OEM aluminum one, 9 lbs(approx.) by using an aluminum water pump, 50 pounds by going to aluminum cylinder heads, 46 pounds by converting the car to NON-A/C, and about 25 pounds of reciprocating mass by using an aluminum flywheel with steel insert.

That's all off the front end, for an approximate mass savings of 160 pounds.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:40 AM

Yah, it is a bit slow around here. Didn't mean to come across, as a smart ***. But there are a lot of different orgs. and they all seem to have just slightly different rules. Then if you're running local, not regional they'll let lots of little stuff slide, as long as it's not unsafe.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:30 PM

Hey no worries Z28SORR

ws6transam: I have thought about going with a smaller lightweight Hawker or similar battery, but my car is a daily driver and I've heard some stories about the lack of power in those smaller light batteries... And I really dont want to be switching batteries out when I go race.

I also want to take he weight off the nose and put it in the rear. The car is front and driver side heavy, and relocating the battery to the passenger rear where the spare used to be will help with both of these.

And more room in these cramped engine bays couldnt hurt
Old 12-16-2004, 01:54 PM

Sandman, I've run the Hawker/Genesis battery all summer, with no problems. I got me a battery tender and kept the car plugged in when I wasn't driving. Even on September 15th, when I took the car to up north for the M9 event, there was no problems that evening when it was cold out. I also run an underdrive pulley, but dont have any A/C. I also left the stereo amps turned off. That night the battery tender told me the battery was fully charged.

I bought the battery used, and it seems to be a fine summer battery, so long as you keep it topped off, and use low resistance, short battery cables. I have heard problems crop up when you try to relocate the Genesis/Hawker to the trunk.

Now, onto the weight relocation thing: It seems to me that unless you are having traction problems, you would be better served removing mass than just relocating it. I'd rather lose the mass, then compensate for weight distribution with suspension adjustments, including preloading the left springs to shift the load distribution to the right. However, it can't be *that* much of a problem, can it? Have you put scales on your car? If you are assuming that your mass in the driver's seat is throwing off the center of gravity, consider where your sear is located: Only two feet from the center of the car. 200 pounds located two feet from the centerline of the car isn't *that* out of balance.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Yah, it is a bit slow around here. Didn't mean to come across, as a smart ***. But there are a lot of different orgs. and they all seem to have just slightly different rules. Then if you're running local, not regional they'll let lots of little stuff slide, as long as it's not unsafe.
try

frrax.com

Old 12-17-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
try

frrax.com

Thanks.