Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Autocross Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Autocross Tips

I might be entering in my first Autocross event this sunday. I was wondering if there is anything i need to know?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Red1992V6Rs
I might be entering in my first Autocross event this sunday. I was wondering if there is anything i need to know?
Hit all the cones for teh prize.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Well at least a LITTLE info on yourself, what your driving and what your experience is, would have been helpful.

So very general. Wear comfortable clothes, cotton.
I have driving shoes, but any light weight shoes, like tennis shoes are fine.
You'll need a late SNELL certified helmet. Most orgs. have loners for first timers, check before you get there.
PREP your car. Check all the fluids, check general condition, make sure things are secured, especially suspension components, battery etc. Clean your car, especially the interior. Take out any loose equipment, floor mats, etc. Unless you have an air tank you can't fill your tires once there, so over fill them before you leave or at a near by gas station. Take a tire gage, so you can adjust them before your run/s. Ask the people in your class what they are running theirs at.
Get there early, see how things are setup. What the general lay out is, where you wait, where you line up, that sort of thing. Most orgs. let you walk the course before running. This isn't just for exersize. Look for area's, cone layout, that may be confusing. If there is a slalom section, do you enter on the right or left?
You should get several runs, so don't try and kill the course on the first one. Take it easy, learn the course, save the "all out run" for last. Don't let ANYONE rush you, it's you first time, your going to make mistakes, don't worry about it!!!! This is supposed to be FUN!!!
Finally, let people know it's your first time, LOTS of them will help. Some orgs. allow you to ride along with someone before you have to run.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Well at least a LITTLE info on yourself, what your driving and what your experience is, would have been helpful.

So very general. Wear comfortable clothes, cotton.
I have driving shoes, but any light weight shoes, like tennis shoes are fine.
You'll need a late SNELL certified helmet. Most orgs. have loners for first timers, check before you get there.
PREP your car. Check all the fluids, check general condition, make sure things are secured, especially suspension components, battery etc. Clean your car, especially the interior. Take out any loose equipment, floor mats, etc. Unless you have an air tank you can't fill your tires once there, so over fill them before you leave or at a near by gas station. Take a tire gage, so you can adjust them before your run/s. Ask the people in your class what they are running theirs at.
Get there early, see how things are setup. What the general lay out is, where you wait, where you line up, that sort of thing. Most orgs. let you walk the course before running. This isn't just for exersize. Look for area's, cone layout, that may be confusing. If there is a slalom section, do you enter on the right or left?
You should get several runs, so don't try and kill the course on the first one. Take it easy, learn the course, save the "all out run" for last. Don't let ANYONE rush you, it's you first time, your going to make mistakes, don't worry about it!!!! This is supposed to be FUN!!!
Finally, let people know it's your first time, LOTS of them will help. Some orgs. allow you to ride along with someone before you have to run.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Winning advice.

I highly recommend a ride-along with someone that's experienced.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Great, thanks for the info z28sorr. As per my driving skill, I guess I would say I'm decent. I'm no expert but no novice as I don't do anything stupid on the roads. But I do know how do correct oversteer and avoid most spinouts. I don't have a helmet but they do have loners and my friend said I could borrow his.

As for the tire pressure, what do you suggest I run at? Some one told me to stay around 40psi to prevent tire roll.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 AM

Great, thanks for the info z28sorr. As per my driving skill, I guess I would say I'm decent. I'm no expert but no novice as I don't do anything stupid on the roads. But I do know how do correct oversteer and avoid most spinouts. I don't have a helmet but they do have loners and my friend said I could borrow his.

As for the tire pressure, what do you suggest I run at? Some one told me to stay around 40psi to prevent tire roll.

I'd say carry a compressor, and experiment. i'm no expert on any of this, but you should adjust the pressures for the handling you desire. But someone might've been right by saying to start at a high pressure and bleed it down. (temps will spike your pressure, too)
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM

Correct pressure is dependent on many factors, weight, suspension, tires, etc. To do it right you really need to take tire temps. after each run. Or just experiment with different pressures. The problem is that you usually dont get enough runs to gain much info.
So most people just run them up to 40psi. or so and leave them.
Probably more info then you need for the first time, just fill-em and go have fun. Worry about this stuff later if you deside you like it!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Yea, I probably won't even worry about changing tire pressure. I probably won't really feel a difference anyways. Plus, its going to me the first time im going to drive my car really hard.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 AM

A ride-along with someone is probably a good idea, but I will just forewarn you ... DON'T LET THEIR DRIVING SCARE / INTIMIDATE YOU!! I had an instructor drive MY car for me, for the first ~3 laps around Mosport International, and it scared the living crap outta me!! I'd never even been to that track to WATCH a race, let alone DRIVE the track! And I couldn't believe how damn FAST my own car could go around corners!! My instructor was a phenominal driver, so he was pushing my car to its limits, but I actually felt a little "intimidated", thinking "how am I possibly going to be able to do this??? " but once I got behind the wheel, I just took things slow (well, within reason ) and gradually worked up my speed until, by the end of the day, my lap times were only ~10 seconds off what my instructor was posting with his '06 Mustang GT (1:48 for me, vs. 1:38 for him).

It's such a blast taking your car on a road course . Contrary to popular belief, F-Bodies really DO handle quite well, and it's nice to know that there is life beyond the 1/4 mile .

Well, since I guess it's Monday, hopefully you had a good time yesterday??