Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Auto Xing with an A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 PM

Auto Xing with an A4

Has anyone ever auto xed with an A4. I kept bouncing back and forth between getting an M6 or an A4 when i first bought my car. My dads friend who is a mechanic happened to be selling his A4, so i figured i should take a safe bet on a car, and buy it. But i've always been interested in trying out auto x, but i'd imagine doing it in an auto wouldn't be the best. Has anyone ever done it?
Old 08-22-2004, 09:41 AM

Re: Auto Xing with an A4

I do it, although I'd highly recommend holding out for a M6. I just hold it in 1 until I need to shift into 2, then leave it there unless I find a spot where Im bogging real bad, then Ill shove it into 1 again.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:42 PM
WOT

www.frrax.com There are two guys that have heavily autocrossed A4 4th gens in ESP. Breucksteve and ESPCamaro. Ho check the board out sometime-they're both helpful. Steve posts here sometimes.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
I just hold it in 1 until I need to shift into 2, then leave it there unless I find a spot where Im bogging real bad, then Ill shove it into 1 again.
That's exactly what I do and I autocross mine regularly. I will tell you that downshifting an automatic to first is tough on the tranny but is necessary to be competitive. I lost my stock tranny at an autocross and had it rebuilt with better parts and it has held up very well every since.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:30 AM

I've autocrossed 3 different F-Body's with an auto and love it. I actually ran a CP 1970 Firebird with an auto and it was very quick. My current car is a '94 with an A4.

I manually shift mine between 1st and 2nd. I'm going to be installing a ratchet shifter to avoid missing or going too far with the upshifts. Downshifting back to first is not an issue.

I feel like the auto has several advantages. One, you can drive with two feet, one on the gas and one on the brake, I think it gives you better control. Two, as long as you don't add a wham bam shift kit, the shifts, both up and down, are smoother than with a manual.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by bruecksteve
....as long as you don't add a wham bam shift kit, the shifts, both up and down, are smoother than with a manual.
I disagree. I find the 1-2 shift to be very unsettling in my 94 Trans Am. If I am turning at all, I have to lift off the throttle to keep from spinning when it shifts to second. The manual down shifts are very hard as well.

Original Poster:
You’ll learn to manage it after a while. I would leave it in second for your first few events. Don’t try down shifting until you learn some of the fundamentals of autocross (the limits of the car, when to brake, when to throttle, look ahead, pick your lines…) then you can try downshifting and left foot braking.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Difference in transmissions I guess.

I've done a lot of re-programming with mine too. I suppose 315 Kumho V710's don't break away as easily as what you might be using!!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 PM

Autoxing with an A4 is doable and can be very competitive. I ran a 95 A4 Z28 in CENDIV events from '95 to '02. If your A4 is not modified and computer controlled, there are actually some advantages. Launch in 2nd as starting in 1st and then upshifting to 2nd has a long delay. Try to avoid a shift, initated by computer in a corner as the tail will jump to the outside. If you have room on the course and know it's coming, no harm. Downshifting has to be done cautiously. Approaching a slow turn around, you can shift down (easy with the pull back on the lever) and quickly rotate the car on the shortest path. Get on the gas and then either shift when you're up to the rpm's or let it shift and then catch up with the lever. Watch the upshift as it's easy to go past 2nd to 3rd. A lot depends on what comes after the corner. If it's open enough, taking a tight line and then stomping the gas after the apex will be effective. The A4 will be a definate disadvantage in a Pro Solo, (if the tranny is stock) due to the tight corners and potential for numerous shifting by the computer. The car will autox better on slippery courses as the power to the wheels isn't as quick as an M6. Again this is all assuming your A4 is a bone stock 4L60E with the computer calling the shots on shifting. Just keep your brain ahead of the computer. If it will stay in gear, then it can't run stock class, but you may have more fun. Only 2 pedals is nice but I'll keep my M6. The A4 was very competitive at Divisional and National events.

George Williams
Team Scruffy

Last edited by George Williams; 08-24-2004 at 08:10 PM.