Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 08:57 PM

A-arms

I am looking to upgrade the stock A-arms on my 93 TA for autox and road race events. what are some good ones to use and possibly some links where I can get these.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 10:00 PM

Im guessing that since no one replied , everyone is still running stock A-arms?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:22 PM

i have stock a-arms, but with all i've seen, most people seem to only upgrade one of the a-arms (as far as i can remember). i'm not sure if the upper a-arm will yield better improvement by itself than the lower a-arm would by itself, but i can't remember seeing anyone who has actually replaced both. as far as companies that make 'em....

lgmotorsports
bmr
tbyrnemotorsports has one listed

that's the only one's i can think of...as to which one's are better.....couldn't tell you. don't remember any testimonials of a certain company's a-arm's failing or not fitting right, or about an a-arm that somehow "excelled above the rest"....so, you might have to wait for someone else to chime in, or do some more research.....

hope i helped a lil....
Old 04-05-2004, 05:00 PM

Hey , You replied, that helps some I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for the info, I have already checked out LG and BMR but both seem to be more about drag stuff than road race. Is there a difference ? Anyway thanks again for the help will check out Tbyrne
Old 04-05-2004, 05:04 PM

I have both the upper and lower BMR A arms on my '93. I have pics of them scattered throughout my website. See for yourself.

CLICK HERE

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:36 PM

Damn dude, you have spent some serious bucks on that car.

I think that I will be going with the BMR stuff, It is pretty competively priced and seems to look better than everybody elses.

Have you been satisfied with them , or is there been any problems with them?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-05-2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by BloodshotLt1
I have already checked out LG and BMR but both seem to be more about drag stuff than road race.
Uhm, one can surely say that about the latter, but certainly not the former. I'd have no problem putting the LG arms on my car--but I would not us the BMR arms for roadracing.

In addition, Global West makes some nice upper control arms--I'm running those right now.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Jon A
I'd have no problem putting the LG arms on my car--but I would not us the BMR arms for roadracing.
Just out of curiosity....... why?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:28 PM

Well, the rear tube (which will be in compression over every bump) is bent and not properly gusseted, the shock perch should have some vertical reinforcements running laterally being stood off from the tube as much as it is, I'd like to see more enclosure around the ball joint, etc....

It simply doesn't look very well Engineered to me--unless you're trying to save weight on a drag car. If anybody at BMR had any experience roadracing and this thing had been tested on roadcourses before they put it out, I'd feel differently. But they don't and they haven't. Take them on a roadcourse and you are now their "Product Testing Engineer"--with your own money and neck on the line.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:54 PM

Location: You know when they Quit Suckin that something is Wrong!!!!
Originally posted by '93 formy ...
I have both the upper and lower BMR A arms on my '93. I have pics of them scattered throughout my website. See for yourself.

CLICK HERE

Hope this helps.
You have all that suspension work and no subframes
Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Jerm
You have all that suspension work and no subframes
I tell you what, you paypal me the $$ and I'll buy the subframe connectors okay?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:30 AM

Well I guess I'm there guinea pig because they are holding up fine to the abuse at the Nurnburgring. It would've been nice to have gone w/ LG but at the time the price was out of my league and their upper a-arms weren't available.

Now if they can just build the k-member I'd be a happy camper.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:12 PM

Any driving impressions from those who upgraded their front upper or lower a-arms?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:48 PM

ill let you know in a few weeks dude, gonna order the GW uppers later this week. think ur right been riding the GSXR to much, think I forgot how to drive lol

Last edited by kookamunga; 04-07-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM

Don't bother with the lower arms, the stock units are pretty good. If you just have to have new uppers go to globalwest.net and get their upper arms with te del-a-lum bushings. I had a friend that's really into autox (and mild roadcourse) put these on his car and he said they made a big improvement. The offer a lot more positive caster and more negative camber than stock. Having said that, I personally don't really see a good reason to mess with the front control arms, they are a pretty good design already and there are lots of other places for improvements on the car. I'd do all the following before the front arms:
shocks
springs
bushings
front sway bar
tires/wheels
brakes
panhard rod
LCAs

Quick Reply: A-arms