Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Anyone use the Gigliotti Coil-Overs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 03:12 PM

Anyone use the Gigliotti Coil-Overs?

Just seeing if anyone has used them on a 4th gen car. Looking to buy something in the future. My Eibach/KYB set-up has served its purpose.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:13 AM

I had considered them myself, but the kit is pretty expensive. The kit appears pretty well engineered. Do a search, as there have been alot of discussions lately on this. Steve C looks like he wants to sell his set.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:05 PM

I have had them on the car for over a year now. Probably the best shock/spring combo I would say you could ever put on the car.

When I first started looking I was after the Carrara coil overs some of the guys used in world challenge and couldn't find them anywhere, and they had stopped making the kit.

So I found LG online on one of the boards and saw the new coil over kits they were making, designed after what they had used on the winning F cars they raced. So hell if it won races I figured it would be good enough for me.

After figureing up what it would cost to replace the Koni 1LE shocks and put new springs on, the difference wasn't much and the coil overs weigh less and you have adj. ride height to boot.

I know I sound like I'm pushing it, but I tell ya they are pretty damn bad a$$, hell even with has high of spring rates as it has it rides better now with 650in# springs than what it did stock 1LE and the body doesn't freakin move. Its pretty sweet.

If you are needing springs and shocks, call them up if you really want that car to handle....go for the coil overs. You won't regret it.

There are some pics in my sig of the car and coil overs.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:31 PM

I think I'm going to go ahead and get them next month. I've got a 1LE also. After trying different aftermarket shocks and springs i'm getting bored.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:45 PM

I've been on the track with it... not a bad setup indeed.

I think that its awesome for high speed off camber, or banked turns (60-100mph), actually i think it's the only setup i've driven that can handle it. The free movement from the bearing mounted assemblies makes the car hug and react to every undulation or camber change on the road/track.

It's a different driving style but I can see the advantages from going from track to track.

Also, the amount of grip that the setup delivers is rather deceptive, the rear end is sometimes extremely hard to break coming out of a high speed turn. I still haven't put on the 21mm rear bar (still on 19mm). And I have the hollow 32mm front.

I wouldn't say it's the best setup for tight slalom or flat turns (i.e. autox) where car transitions are quick. But you do have the benefit of precise feedback and smooth turn-in.

Steve
Old 12-12-2002, 08:51 AM

I looked at the LG setup, but wanted Koni DA's so I built my own upper shock mount with a spherical bearing. Spring changes are now a 5 min. job.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:30 AM

Are the shocks that come with the Gigliotti set up adjustable? Where can I get more info on the Koni DAs??? How much are they?
Old 12-12-2002, 09:53 AM

The shocks are a alum. bodied Blistien that is valved especially for LG and are not adj. I believe you can request an adj. Penske shock but that adds a lot more money to the kit. I think the Penske shocks are like $2500 or something by themselves.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:05 AM

Ok cool thanks. Would you do the Shocks it comes with or just put soemthing together with the Koni DAs???
Old 12-12-2002, 10:10 AM

I have Koni DA's on my '99 SS 1LE and the 94 with the LG kit will hand that car its a$$ in the corners. This is why I went with the LG kit because the price difference really isn't that much and I wanted to be able to set the ride height of the car and be able to set corner weights on it as well.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 AM

Ok cool. So in your opinion the DAs arent really a big deal?? Just got with the G2 set up?
Old 12-12-2002, 12:44 PM

Koni DAs are a great shock, but it's a serious shock meant for
the track, not the street. There is alot of high speed compression adjustment in these units which makes reactions with sharp bumps, broken pavement and potholes a curse. Therefore the SAs are a better application for a street/autox car and occasional track.

Also these are twin tube units so they don't displace alot of oil like a monotube does (bilstein/penske). The difference between
a monotube and a twin tube is night and day in terms of road feel.

Furthermore the Koni DAs are only good up to 600# because
of their design.

I think the ultimate setup is to get the LG coilovers with Penske 8100/8760 series shocks.

The 8100 series (double adjustable) goes for $700 a corner, the 8760 series (triple adjustable) goes for $1200 a corner.

Steve
Old 12-12-2002, 01:10 PM

I'll probably just got with the G2 set up then. Penske shocks are too much money for what I'm dealing with. I have them on an old trans am car and they're great, but thats a racecar.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:53 PM

I think this is a good thread to ask this: I auto cross a lot on my LG Coilovers, and I've noticed that in long sustained turns (like and exit ramp or something) Ill get a moaning sound from the rear inside wheel. I think its the spring on the perch. I was told its probably because the rubber mount is removed and its steel on steel. Do any of you ever hear this noise? I know its not ideal for autocrossing, but road racing is what I plan on doing, auto crossing is just easier here.

Thanks!
--Kevin