Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Advice for first auto cross.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Advice for first auto cross.

I'm thinking of taking my 94 Z28 to a SCCA auto cross event next month just for fun. Its an a4 with 4.10s and a hotcam. I was just wondering what I needed to do to get the car ready to go zig and zag through some cones, and if anyone has some advice for me. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Most of this is obvious.
Tech your car. i.e. check your tires, brakes, fluids, etc. Clean out the interior. No floor mats., or loose stuff inside. No junk in the trunk.
Tire pressure should be higher then normal. You can always lower them once your get there. There is not always a convenient place to add air.
Wear comfortable clothes, and light shoes.
You will need an up to date helmet. Most have loaners, but don't count on it.
Get there early so you can get a feel for whats happening and the setup.
You should get several runs, depending on how many people show. So take the first run slowly and learn the track.
These are primarily social events, so be sociable! Talk to the other drivers. Ask them about there cars, tires, experiences, listen to their advice, even if you think they are full of it.
Most importantly is to, Take Your Time, don't allow yourself to feel rushed, your not going to win anything, so just have FUN!!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Well thats simple. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM

I went to my first auto x a couple weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. The battery in my T/A was loose, so I ended up getting a ratchet strap to keep it in place, but it was fun. Finished 2nd in my class by .04 seconds...
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Start by doing everything that the above posts recommend, especially the "empty the car" thing. You don't want anything that is loose to distract you.

Check your power steering fluid and make sure it's topped off. THis is important.

Set your tire pressures to 33 PSI in the rear, 45 PSI in the front.

Walk the course as many times as you can before the race to get familiar as possible. When you walk the course, you visualize yourself in the driver's seat of an F-body, which means when you go to the left of a cone, put five feet between your feet and that cone to represent the remainder of your imaginary car. When you walk to the right of a cone, put twelve inches between you and the cone. If you are physically fit enough, take one lap and RUN the course instead of walking. I actually put my hands in the air, and make steering wheel motions to try and visualize when I will input the steering into the wheel in relation to the cones. The more trips through, the better your memory will be when you are on the race course with your car.

Smoother is better. If it is your first time through, Go easy so that you do not get lost. Use the first lap to cement the course in your head and figure out the braking zones, apexes, and places where you can accelerate. Don't run over cones or get lost, if possible. Even going slow & easy, you will still feel like things happen fast. Save your fast efforts for heats # 2, 3, and 4.

Autocross will show you how important an apex is, and how you cannot just saw your steering wheel to make a turn. If you upset the chassis, or go too fast, you'll oversteer and simple go straight. You'll have your wheel cranked to make that turn, and your car will go straight and over a cone. If you go too slow, it's okay: You will still be faster than if you go too fast. Each cone is a two second penalty and if you get lost, you DNF and don't get a time. Therefore, be smooth, think about what an apex is, and see if you can develop your spatial awareness enough to set your tires onto the bead of every cone through the slaloms without knocking them over.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm searching youtube for vids of ws6transam running through cones with his imaginary steering wheel.

All good info above, I'll check back here if I ever get to do some cone slaying this year.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM

LOL I'd love too see a guy running driving his imaginary car! Sadly I read this after the event. :P
Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Lots of good advice in here. As with anyone who's doing an auto-x or HPDE for the first time, a mechanically-sound car and a willingness to learn is all you need.

How was your first event OP?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM

I might be doing this on Sunday morning at the local Air National Gaurd base. First time as well dont know what I,m getting myself into.

I might just go and watch the first time and get used to whats going on watch other cars and then run next time. Besides I,ll save some money that way.

You can also do an SCCA search and see if there is a local group in your area.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Take it from me, just sitting on the side and watching is going to be hard to do! When I did that, I wanted nothing more than to get in a car and join in!

As said by others, there is alot of good advance in this thread. The only thing I would add, is that it is not the car with the biggest engine or horsepower. There is alot to be said for good suspension and driving skills. Personally, I like road course racing and autocrossing much more then drag racing! They put a steering wheel on the car for a reason!