Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

4 Koni DA for $850.00

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:13 PM

Arrow 4 Koni DA for $850.00

DA Koni set of 4 $850.00 shipped GMPD
I have ordered 1LE parts for my car including the Koni DA. I got them from GMPD.

1LE (2) Front shock absorber - Koni yellow: (GM p/n 22140240)
(Pair) $355.73 (Shipping / Handling) $71.15 (Total) $426.88

1LE (2) Rear shock absorber - Koni yellow: (GM p/n 22140228)
(Pair) $353.24 (Shipping / Handling) $70.65 (Total) $423.89

I haven't dealt with Jason or Dal yet, they should be able to beat this price some.

SLP was the lowest I could find and they wanted $1149.95 plus shipping.

I have seen quotes for $700 + on Koni SA, so this looked like a deal to me.

When I get the shocks in my hands I will post and let everyone know if they are the real thing or not.

Now everyone can post and tell me how much I over paid for these shocks, just to torment me.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:23 AM

This isn't new, and it's a mistake. They've messed this up before, but some folks have gotten lucky.

Here's what happens: Koni prices the shocks individually, but boxes them in pairs. Folks tend to think that the price is per box, when it's really per shock.

If you happen to get 4 shocks for that price, you can consider yourself lucky, though it's not honest IMO. It's a mistake, I promise you. I can prove it too.

Below are prices on Koni:

List Jobber Sale price
Front SA: $322.00 $236.67 $225.00
Front DA: $492.00 $316.62 $344.40

Rear SA: $216.00 $158.76 $151.20
Rear DA: $408.00 $299.88 $285.60

My prices on Koni's are very, very competitive. SA's sell for $752 a set. You can figure the discount out with the above prices, and you'll see the DA price is incorrect (and you see that the GMPD price on single DA's isn't so great).

Edit: I just clicked on them @ GMPD to see what happened, and it brought up the "right" pricing. *22140228 Struts & Shocks ABSORBER, 2 in package, unit price $353.24, quantity 1, ext. price $706.48, S&H $141.30, Total $847.78. And that's just for the FRONT shocks. the freight is outrageous. We sell the pair of front shocks for $688 plus shipping, which would be about $20.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 07-16-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:41 PM

Not honest? What a load of crap!!!

Sam,

I checked with them on pricing and quanity, part of the emails are listed below.

It is possible that GM gets a better price than you do.

Nothing I have done gives you the right to call my honesty in question.

I asked, I asked again, I was given a price, I sent the money.

They have not contacted me wanting more money or anything of the sort.

If it is a screw up I will know soon, if I am shorted then I will fight that battle when I get to it.

I made the best choice I could with the info I was given.

....Each part number contains two absorbers. You would only have to order
one of each.

Thank you for choosing www.GmPartsDirect.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 3:43 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Customer Service Request

Please retry as I think I have fixed the site on not adding two of them
to your cart. Let me know if it does it the other way again please.

Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: Customer Service Request 1725......
Old 07-17-2004, 09:48 PM

I just did what Sam did - added the front shocks to my shopping car. Total for just the two front shocks came to $853.75.

QTY 1 p/n 22140240 pack qty 2 list $355.73 ext price $711.46 you save $711.46 core charge $0.00 S&H approx $142.29 total $853.75
Old 07-19-2004, 06:47 AM

Re: Not honest? What a load of crap!!!

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
Sam,

I checked with them on pricing and quanity, part of the emails are listed below.

It is possible that GM gets a better price than you do.

Nothing I have done gives you the right to call my honesty in question.

I asked, I asked again, I was given a price, I sent the money.

They have not contacted me wanting more money or anything of the sort.

If it is a screw up I will know soon, if I am shorted then I will fight that battle when I get to it.

I made the best choice I could with the info I was given.

....Each part number contains two absorbers. You would only have to order
one of each.

Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 3:43 PM
Subject: Customer Service Request

Please retry as I think I have fixed the site on not adding two of them
to your cart. Let me know if it does it the other way again please.

Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: Customer Service Request 1725......
Shoulda' called Sam first to start with.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 AM

Re: 4 Koni DA for $850.00

Wow....... I don't know where I called you honesty into question. Could you point that out to me, please?

I tried it myself and came up with something totally different, as did Jeff 97T/A. Maybe they figured out *they* made a mistake. I don't know, just passing along that I'm sure that wasn't the correct pricing. Ok? Just calm down.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
Wow....... I don't know where I called you honesty into question. Could you point that out to me, please?

I tried it myself and came up with something totally different, as did Jeff 97T/A. Maybe they figured out *they* made a mistake. I don't know, just passing along that I'm sure that wasn't the correct pricing. Ok? Just calm down.
S.S.,

Here you go, you wrote it so why I have to show it to you is beyond me.

"....you can consider yourself lucky, though it's not honest IMO...."

I take the line above as an insult. I thnk anyone would. The, "Calm down", crap is almost as insulting. I am not excited, just insulted.

The site has changed, why I don't know. What the site is doing now, was according to them an error that added double the number of shocks to the cart. The prices you guys are now getting are double what they where when I ordered.

I am going to continue waiting for the order to arrive. Then I will know what they actually shipped.

I should have bought the '03 Mitsu EVO, this project is turning into a pain in the ***, and I haven't even got to the hard work of installation yet.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
S.S.,

Here you go, you wrote it so why I have to show it to you is beyond me.

"....you can consider yourself lucky, though it's not honest IMO...."

I take the line above as an insult. I thnk anyone would. The, "Calm down", crap is almost as insulting. I am not excited, just insulted.

Well, if you were to take those shocks knowing the price was incorrect, that's wrong IMHO. I don't know you, and don't know you'd do that, but others have in the past. You could consider yourself lucky if that price sticks, and if were, I'd think that was a little shady.

It wasn't intended as a insult at all, I'm sorry you took it as such. On the other hand you quoted this awesome deal and haven't gotten the parts at all, and then told everyone to tell you how you overpaid etc. I didn't tell you that, I simply told you the truth. Sorry if it hurt.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Z28barnett,

We've seen this kind of pricing on Koni DA's before. The price was an error. I believe the vendor honored the price (not sure), but the shocks had been sitting on the shelf for years. They may be trying to move old stock. You could get lucky and get them to honor the cheaper price and, as Sam said, you'd be lucky to benefit from their mistake.

You do run the risk of getting shocks with seals that may fail in short order, if they haven't already. There may be some posts here on the last lot of "inexpensive" Koni DA's and people's experiences. Maybe someone will drop in who bought the inexpensive DA's and offer their opinion.

BTW, 01 FS Z28 is a Koni dealer. He sees Koni pricing and knows the market...

We are trying to help you and give you a warning out of experience...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:27 PM

Cool Re: 4 Koni DA for $850.00

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
Well, if you were to take those shocks knowing the price was incorrect, that's wrong IMHO. I don't know you, and don't know you'd do that, but others have in the past. You could consider yourself lucky if that price sticks, and if were, I'd think that was a little shady.

It wasn't intended as a insult at all, I'm sorry you took it as such. On the other hand you quoted this awesome deal and haven't gotten the parts at all, and then told everyone to tell you how you overpaid etc. I didn't tell you that, I simply told you the truth. Sorry if it hurt.

I chose to order the shocks on the basis of the price I was given. I am not a Koni dealer, so how could I do anything else? I also ordered another $1600.00 worth of suspension parts based on the prices given to me. It is their job to give accurate prices. They don't post profit percentages for me to check.

All this email does is confirm, that you were saying what I thought you where, and is no apology.

I thought I could help some people out, but I am only getting attacked by people with a financial interest in shocks.

My comment about how I overpaid was a joke, and I think most people would take it that way.

I have better things to do than continue this thread, good luck on the suspension bussiness. I agree with most of what you are telling people on F Body suspension.

I don't like your manner or tone in these emails. That is my problem, and no, nothing you said hurts. You give yourself too much credit, at best you are an annoyance.

I will leave this as a cliff hanger,

Did he get the shocks in a shady deal?

Did the vendor send old leaky shocks?

Have pangs of guilt lead to a donation of $850.00 to the vendor?

Did he only get two shocks, and is now doomed to only turn left?

Was the whole thing only in my mind?

You will never know.

This thread dies now.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:56 PM

Boy, someone's pretty sensitive here...

If you feel you need to buy an Evo, by all means, go ahead. I guess you haven't been reading about all the problems Evo's are having, all the warranty issues, all the rods out of the sides of the block...

You have some VERY experienced people here trying to give you sound advice. As I said earlier, you probably should have asked BEFORE you bought but you didn't.

If you feel you've done nothing wrong and are getting a great price, take it and run. No one really cares. Obviously you knew something was up because you were getting them SO cheap. Bragging?? I don't know, but either way, no one here was attacking you or insulting you. Maybe you just feel guilty??

You want to know why a lot of us are on another board now... it's because of attitudes like yours.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=Z28barnett:
I don't like your manner or tone in these emails. That is my problem, and no, nothing you said hurts. You give yourself too much credit, at best you are an annoyance.

I will leave this as a cliff hanger,

Did he get the shocks in a shady deal?

Did the vendor send old leaky shocks?

Have pangs of guilt lead to a donation of $850.00 to the vendor?

Did he only get two shocks, and is now doomed to only turn left?

Was the whole thing only in my mind?

You will never know.

This thread dies now.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, smoke a joint. Calm down. You can assume anything you want from my tone. I was simply discrediting some bad information you passed along. And have done so if I sold shocks or not. But because I do sell shocks, and know the pricing structure you (of course) think it's about making money. Well, if you knew the first thing about me, you'd know that often times I tell folks what they DON'T need to spend money on. It's not at all uncommon to talk folks out of parts. If you think I did this to line my pockets, ok, but you are wrong.

And I agree, it can die now. And you don't have to post up about the results, I'll already know.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:43 PM

some people
Old 07-27-2004, 04:28 PM

Undead Thread

The shocks arrived today.

They are the correct Koni Double adjustable shocks. I got all four, two fronts and two rears.

They appear to be in good shape, with some small paint chips from shipping.

The rear shocks included the "Koni" **** for adjusting, and the rubber mounting donuts and washers. They also sent a small rigid stick on emblem that says "Koni Improved".

The front shocks include the upper shock nut, washer and spring perch. They also have a black plastic piece that appears to be a large washer or spacer for the top or bottom of the spring.

I tried the adjustments on the rear shocks and that did not cause any leaks at the upper end of the shock stem.

No date codes that I know how to read appear on the boxes or the shocks.

So what info can I pass on,

1). You can get Koni DA from GM, these have GM partnumbers on the boxes. The P/N's I listed are good.

2). They could be old stock, since no date of Mfg. is stamped into the shocks where I can find it. They do not appear to be leaking, but only time will tell.

3). At the price I paid ($850.00) they are a good deal. I thought somebody might have gotten a better price somewhere I hadn't heard of. But it looks like this price is as good as it gets. If they are charging $1700.00 now. You would be better off buying from Sam, tirerack, or SLP.

4). If the price comes up as $1700.00 email them and ask if it is right. When I did that they told me that it was a mistake on the website and changed it.

So thats all the useful info I have.

Now my critics can, "Flame On", and talk about my bad attitude and criminal tendencies.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:32 PM

well you do/did have a bad attitude towards sam. your not the first to post about the "deal" you found on koni DAs. it looks liked it worked out for you though, congrats i do hope they work well for your setup and you have trouble free life out of them.

Quick Reply: 4 Koni DA for $850.00