Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

2001 vette front brakes on an 95Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 PM

2001 vette front brakes on an 95Z?

whoe makes the conversion brackets to mount the calipers? will they fit behind/inside 5" skinny drag radials? (I have 17" budniks Id use on the road course, but I wont put them on if I cant use my drag wheels)

also, what brake pads work good? how are ceramic pads on the street? will that get rid of the brake dust problem with stock vette pads? will they slow the car quicker? hold up longer/better on a race track?

what brake fluid do you guys use for mostly street driving, some roadcourse?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:35 AM

Re: 2001 vette front brakes on an 95Z?

Don't know about the drag rims. These guys make them.
http://kore3.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The ceramic pads will rid you of the dust and should last a little longer. I believe there are both racing and street versions. Check out E-Bay under brakes. I use DOT 4 or 5 silicone based fluid for the street and the expensive stuff for racing.
As far as which pads to use your going to have to do a little research. But it sounds like your going to need one of the "compromise" pads. One that works well when cold and still do good when hot. Do not get an all out racing pad for the street, there require lots of heat to work at all, and in street driving can be dangerous.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 PM

thanks, what about those UMI brackets on ebay? good stuff? wondering if I can use the stock LT1 braided hoses I already have or will I have to use the vette hoses? Im goin to be getting a full set of brakes off a 01 c5 in exchange for installing his Z06 brakes and braided lines. I might have to buy the abbutments though. I just have to make sure my front drag lites will fit though (Im sure I'll need a spacer, like on my car now).

also curious how much weight they will add over the LT1 stuff? I will weight it all once its all off the car, but wonder if anyone else has already done that.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Do not get an all out racing pad for the street, there require lots of heat to work at all, and in street driving can be dangerous.
Hmm, I was thinking, this is going to be on a drag car right? I was thinking since drag cars never really get to bring thier brakes up to temp, he still might not want high temp track pads for his drag racing, since they'll never really reach optimal temps? Since drag cars usually only do one stop every hour or 3..
Old 03-22-2006, 05:23 PM

well, its a multifunction use car. I do tons of street driving, hit the drags hopefully more then a few times a year, and want to start road course racing with it. atleast I want to try it out before I start stripping the car to go faster on the drag strip.

Z28S0RR- do you have to flush out the dot 3 fluid to use the dot 4 or 5? or can I just drain it, and bleed it out really good? not sure if there are any adverse affects of the two mixing a little. ---also, I got a buddy with an 85 Iroc and he's looking to upgrade his front brakes, do you have an aftermarket setup on your car? his is a drag car that he also street cruises (in that order, backwards from mine) so light is what he's looking for, and hopefully better braking performance too.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
well, its a multifunction use car. I do tons of street driving, hit the drags hopefully more then a few times a year, and want to start road course racing with it. atleast I want to try it out before I start stripping the car to go faster on the drag strip.

Z28S0RR- do you have to flush out the dot 3 fluid to use the dot 4 or 5? or can I just drain it, and bleed it out really good? not sure if there are any adverse affects of the two mixing a little. ---also, I got a buddy with an 85 Iroc and he's looking to upgrade his front brakes, do you have an aftermarket setup on your car? his is a drag car that he also street cruises (in that order, backwards from mine) so light is what he's looking for, and hopefully better braking performance too.
The DOT 3,4, & 5.1 fluids are compatible so you don't need to hit this to hard. If you replace the fluid correctly, you will be doing a flush. i.e. remove as much of the fluid from the master cylinder as possible, fill with the new stuff, then start with the right rear(RR) and pull or bleed until you can see the new fluid, change in color or clarity, keeping the master cylinder full. When go to the LR, RF, and LF. By the time your done you will have vertually replaced all the fluid. You can get a cheap vacuum bleeder from the auto parts that will allow you to do this alone.
Well the 84 is a road racer, so yes I have a very large Baer Claw Kit (the GT+) on both the front and rear. The leading manufactures are probably, Brembo, Wilwood, and Baer but there are lots of others, (check E-Bay). For a cruiser and occational racer something like what your doing, the C5 kit, would be fine. The brackets are available for the 3rd Gens. also. These guys: http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp :have some good info in their brake sect.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 03-23-2006 at 09:11 AM.