Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

What HID kit do I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 01:00 AM

Question What HID kit do I get?

If i get the housing that the bulb goes into from AutoOptiks . What HID kit do I want? i was thinking this kit . But in the other thread Ryan94ZA4 (not putting you on the spot, just so they can find it) states I would need a "D2S" bulb. So is this combo going to work? plenty of information in this thread and later in this thread. but not much on what ppl are using. I guess I want to throw this out there and see what kind of combos you people are using/like/dont like and so on.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:00 AM

Re: What HID kit do I get?

Originally posted by MYPEARL
If i get the housing that the bulb goes into from AutoOptiks . What HID kit do I want? i was thinking this kit . But in the other thread Ryan94ZA4 (not putting you on the spot, just so they can find it) states I would need a "D2S" bulb. So is this combo going to work? plenty of information in this thread and later in this thread. but not much on what ppl are using. I guess I want to throw this out there and see what kind of combos you people are using/like/dont like and so on.
#1 - DO NOT get the AutoOptiks housings - they are crap. They do not fit into the stock brackets, and they are very cheap. A paper clip is what holds the bulb in. If oyu want to trust some very expensive HID bulbs to that, be my guest...

#2 - The "kit" link doesn't work...

#3 - I didn't bother reading those other threads, but here's a few scenario's for you.

•If you want to do a HID upgrade, without changing housings, just get a 9006 (low beam) HID kit and silicone the bulbs into your stock housings. There's a guy that has done this...can't remember his screen name right off, but here's his pics.

•If you want a little better setup, then I would suggest getting the Hella Free Form FF75 Housings, that a few on here have (pu12en12g to name one) and get a H7 HID kit to go into those housings.

As far as what brand of HID kit is best, I really don't know...I think McCullough? is one of the better brands though. Watch e-bay, and find a good deal. But beware, a lot of e-bay sales aren't true HID kits, or they aren't really good ones.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:22 AM

Bogie, if you want to see just how ****ty those autooptiks setup is, I have a few of the housings around here somewhere.

DO NOT get the autooptiks housings ! !

Also, there are only a couple people on the entire board that have done a HID conversion so far. And only ONE that I know of on a LT1. In other words, there isn't alot of examples / installs to go by...
Old 01-02-2003, 11:13 AM

sorry about the broken link here it is in plane style

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=1329

wow, i thought auto optiks was a good way to go. glad im asking, ill scratch them from my favorites,
Old 01-02-2003, 12:52 PM

Re: Re: What HID kit do I get?

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
#1 - DO NOT get the AutoOptiks housings - they are crap. They do not fit into the stock brackets, and they are very cheap. A paper clip is what holds the bulb in. If oyu want to trust some very expensive HID bulbs to that, be my guest...

•If you want a little better setup, then I would suggest getting the Hella Free Form FF75 Housings, that a few on here have (pu12en12g to name one) and get a H7 HID kit to go into those housings.
Ditto about the Autooptiks!! I had some, the reflector is even worse than the sealed beam lights (if that is possible! )

The only way I would even consider to upgrade to HID is projector headlights. Like the 90mm units from Hella that I just installed (still halogen tho..) Anything with a reflector creates just WAY too much glare. JMHO tho.

Sam
Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM

The best and most reliable kits that I know of are the ones with either Hella or Phillips/Osram ballasts. They are better because if bought brand new, AFAIK they are warrated, and they have a built in ignitor. DO NOT get one of those cheap Japanese knock off's, they are junk.