Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Water leaking into back seat HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 05:07 PM

Water leaking into back seat HELP!!!

http://pics.viperfire.com/keith/waterinbackseat.jpg
I have had my car for 1.5 months now and I just noticed this on Sunday. It rained hard on Sunday and at first I thought is was just water from a spilt water bottle on my rear passenger floor. That part of the floor was covered in water so I cleaned it up with a towel and thought that would be the end of that. Then later on the water was back again. (it kept raining). At first I thought it was coming from under the floor since there were no drip marks anywhere, then today when I got home from work, the rear passenger floor was full of water again after I just dryed it the day before, I didn't drive the car at all today and it rained pretty hard all day which leads me to believe that the leak is not coming from the floor. The car as T-tops but there are no signs of a leak from them or the side window. All the seals look good too. It doesn't leak when I wash it..

I don't want to take it to the dealer because they will charge me up the @$$. Please HELP.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or do I have a freash water spring in my back seat?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:35 PM

Open the hatch and look in the channel. There is a body seam there on both sides. Mine was leaking there and filled the rear seat well damn near full. If it isn't the t-tops leaking, i would look there. Mike
Old 05-29-2003, 10:03 PM

read this, helpful info w/in.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:06 PM

If it's still raining just sit in it while the car is in the rain and see if you can see where it's coming from
Old 05-29-2003, 11:10 PM

I had the same problem with my car not to long ago. Don't take it to the dealer. Go ahead and take the interior apart and take the carpet out. That's what I did and let the carpet sit out in the sun to dry. Taking the interior is not that hard at all. Save your money don't bother taking it to the dealer. After you take the carpet out, have a friend spray water on the car and see if you can see where the leak is coming from
Old 05-29-2003, 11:37 PM

Lightbulb

The problem is this.
The Fender edge is higher than the weather stripping for the hatch. The water has to go somewhere! If your car is parked nose down on a hill it will leak!! If you are faced nose up the hill it won't because the water will run out and over the back of the tail lights.

On the third gen cars it wasn't a problem because the fender edge was lower than the weather stripping and it would just run over the fender instead because the water level never got high enough to make it past the weather stripping.

I had almost forgot totaly about this problem until I was at my parents house last week and it got me again! Guess what, nose down on a hill!

It got me thinking of making a drain hole in the channel and hooking up some sort of drain hose to it and running it out the drain plug under the spare!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:33 AM

Its most likely the weather stripping around the door, Not sealing any more. GM doesnt glue this down it just floats, and over time the bead deosnt seal anymore. Just seal it down and it should be good. I havent had a problem since. If it still leaks you most likely need to adjust you t-top height and window.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:06 AM

I don't think the water is coming into my car from the door because the water is also under my back seat. All my weather stripping looks fine, also the water is not dripping from above onto the floor, it is some how coming from under the carpet. and it is not coming from the rubber plugs under the floor, those were in tight plus I still got the water problem when the car was parked all day.

It is going to rain this weekend, so I'll see if I can find the source of the problem this time.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:35 PM

Once the bottom of my trunk was soaked with water but there was no rain and it still has only happened once, I have no clue. could have been condisaton I guess but I doubt it.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:22 AM

After it's been raining and you notice the water in the floor. Which usually happens more often durring hard rains! Remove the spare tire panel and look at the metal area behind where the seat belt mounts and you will most likely see water!