Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

TTop Conversion Structure Strength?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:55 PM

TTop Conversion Structure Strength?

I am hoping to do a ttop conversion and have done most of my reasearch (Read guides, talked to knowledgeable people, and talked to people on the internet that have done it.) Well, my mom wanted to know exactly what ttops were before i attempted the modification. I took her to a dealership to show her a car with them. She blurted out to a salesguy that I was trying to do my own conversion and he told her that i was crazy and said a whole bunch of stuff about how the conversions never work out right (I think the guy just wanted to sell another car or something).

Well I was kind of curious is the frame of cars with ttops very much different than those without them. I understand that I will be cutting out the two support beams on the side but i still have the back of the top and the middle bar for support. The guy apparently thought the roof was all metal and it would collapse in when cut. I was wondering if ttop cars are reinforced in other areas or do they just cut out the side pillars?

I feel that I know enough about the modification to do it once i get all the parts my problem is that I don't know if this guy was full of it (was a salesguy after all) or was he right that my car would fall apart?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:29 PM

Re: TTop Conversion Structure Strength?

Same frame.