Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

There has got to be cheaper TB plates than $47 !

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 08:31 AM

Thumbs down There has got to be cheaper TB plates than $47 !

We all know who is making them. And I'm not bringing the company name into this post, but, $47 bucks for a 2.5" X 3.5" aluminum TB plate for an LT1 is short of ridiculous.

Anyone know who is selling these for a little more realistic price? Did not find any on Ebay.

I wish I was still in Korea. I would have them made for about 8 bucks apiece inscribed with anything you want. Some of you may remember the WS.7 metal look-a-like badges I had produced over there. Identical to the factory OEM "WS.6" badge. I was selling them for $20 to your door.

Oh well, sorry about the rant, but $47 is way out of line for a very small inscribed plate of anodized aluminum and 4 stainless screws.

Ron,
98 TA / Heads, cam, headers car
95 TA / Procharger
Old 05-29-2003, 09:00 AM

Well, I did a Search and came up with this:

MISKEIM@cs.com

This guy was selling these plates in the $10 - $15 range. I sent him an e-mail. We shall see what I get back. Someone had posted that the TB plates appeared to be fairly high quality, but had some gaudy sayings scripted in them. Oh well, we shall see.

Ron,
Old 05-29-2003, 09:21 AM

I agree with you 100%. The quality of the $47 plates is excellant, but, I still think the price is way out of line for the standard flat (non-raised) sheet of aluminum.

I wish I was still in Korea. I am [absolutely] sure that I could have duplicated the quality of the standard flat $47 TB plate. But, that's one of those "Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda" deals.

Ron,
Old 05-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Banned

I have a TB plate from said company. Black with Z28 inscribed non-raised. No complaints on the wuality, but I do agree that the price could be lower, but it's all about supply and demand.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:56 AM

Kimchee&Rice,

Do some searching. The Engine Dress Shop sells the above"unmentioned" companies products at a pretty decent discount. The outline plate
you mention is $ 36.95.

As far as the rest of your comments, the quality and workmanship cannot be beat. If you wnat the best it cost more than the plastic Korean made stuff you buy at Pep Boys.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:14 PM

I have a few of the products from the company you guys are talking about. I must say the quality is really outstanding. I do have to agree that the price is a little higher than I would have liked to have paid, but pay it, I did.

I'm just baffled that GPs for these items haven't been established. I haven't seen a one from the manufacturer or its distributors during my 2+ years of being a member of this board. A GP woudn't help me out now, but it sure would help a lot of other people out.

Just seems to me that a long term sponsor could come out with something to help the guys out and promote their products at the same time every now and then...

E
Old 05-29-2003, 07:40 PM

Just seems to me that a long term sponsor could come out with something to help the guys out and promote their products at the same time every now and then...

Ditto to that statement !
Old 05-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Kimchee & Rice

Ditto to that statement !
The unnamed company often times doantes plaques and prizes and awards for some of the larger F-Body events... so, they do stuff for us F-Body guys while at the same time promoting their product. They also have been long time advertisers for this site which in turn keeps it available for all us to use. So, the comany does help us out

People in the USA don't work for a buck a day like they do in some areas over seas. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. If you can get an American company to "set up shop" in some foreign country, spend $1,000,000 on machines, and hire people for a buck a day, then you might be able to get these suckers for $10 a shot for the same or close to the same quality. Until that happens, if you want a quality plate you're going to have to fork out some money... if you want a $10 plate then buy the stamped home made junk on eBay.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:33 AM

Doesn't Thunder Racing sell their products for a few bucks less?
Old 05-30-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Shempy
Doesn't Thunder Racing sell their products for a few bucks less?
They sure do! That's where I got mine!

E
Old 05-30-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
The unnamed company often times doantes plaques and prizes and awards for some of the larger F-Body events...

People in the USA don't work for a buck a day like they do in some areas over seas. Sorry, but that is just the way it is...

...if you want a $10 plate then buy the stamped home made junk on eBay.
I do agree with you on those points. I don't believe that things should be given away. That is definitely not part of the free enterprise system that we all enjoy and benefit from.

There are sponsors here who really help out with discounts on all kinds of items. Right now you can look at the GP section and even see the recent 10% off most items offered by TByrne.

I don't think that's giving stuff away, but it is like throwing in free shipping. And what little they lose in profit, they may make up in volume. At the very least, they succeed in making happy customers who will return to purchase more in the future after getting a discount and finding out that the vendor offers GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE (which is a big part of doing business).

There are a few other sponsors or highlighted companys who offer things such as TB plates and even superior show wax. They stand firm in their pricing which is their perogative as a business, and their products will get their price. Still, a discount every now and then would be nice for the end user...

And about the eBay stuff...I also have to agree with you there...That's why I paid the higher price of the oustanding quality products...
Old 05-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Personally, I find the statement about Korea somewhat disheartening. I would rather know that my money is going to a US company who busts their *** to make the best product on earth than something less, but that is just me.

MBA makes the best quality stuff out there, period. You want the best? You pay the price. I am not saying this because they advertise here, I am saying it because it is the truth.

The reason they do not set up GPs here is because they would be undercutting their own distributors who also advertise here. Those distributors are able to set up GPs AFAIK. Even that, they still support us and this site, which is appreciated.

Imagine that, am Amercian company that has ethics and morals and won't screw another company for a buck and probably doesn't have a sweatshop, either.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by ArcticYT95TA
... I had a few questions for MBA, and they were answered with emails extremely fast. Excellent company to do business with. Nice to see that somewhere, customers are still important.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:56 AM

Yea i agree, 47 is a lot but their stuff is definetly worth it and if u see the pics, its awesome quailty.
You get what u pay for