Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Are t-tops worth it or not? To buy a Z28 or SS with em or with out em'!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:03 PM
PureMuscle

Are t-tops worth it or not? To buy a Z28 or SS with em or with out em'!

I found an 02' Z28 with about 9,000 miles on it and has basically everything I want EXCEPT t-tops. This is kind of a problem because I love the look of them when their off, gives ya a little sun & freedom at the same time. The color of the car is my first choice and has a 6sd, leather, etc so do you think that not having t-tops should make me reconsider looking at this car.

For all you with t-tops: have you ever wished you hadn't had them?; do they have any problems leaking over time?; are you glad you have them?; do u use them as often or not?, etc and why?

Is there anything I should look for when buying a used LS-1 considering I have never owned one before.

Last edited by PureMuscle; 06-18-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Old 06-18-2004, 07:31 PM

Honestly, I have an LT1 with the T's and I just could not have a sports car with out them. It's kinda of the best of both worlds: hardtop and convertibles. And I like the look alot better when they are on than a plain hardtop and I just can't stand that Bulge that forms at the tops of Converts when you are going highway speed, nor the fact of the rigidity issue with the ragtops.

Yes the seal over time may not hold up as good. But that will take a while and you can always redo them and they will last another long time. I just love them and so do women, they go nuts.

The only down side is if you live in a hot place like me, forget about taking them off during the day, you will fry. Vice Versa if you live up north. I just can't picture my car without them.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:41 PM

I gotta agree. The t tops are awsome. I love mine. I have a 94 and no leaks so far. The seal is as good as new.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:14 PM

Single best appearance mod i have ever done to my car. Buy the car and then do the t top conversion.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:23 PM

gotta get t-tops
Old 06-18-2004, 08:32 PM
PureMuscle

Yeah I was afraid people were gonna say they love them. This car seems pristine though, and it's hard to find a Z28 with really low miles. On the other hand I am saying to myself that I shouldn't settle and make sure I get exactly what I want. I'm also thinking if I should just wait and find an SS. I'll love either car but if if I'm going to go through the hastle of selling my car and loosing a loit of money on it for another it better be what I want you know. Hmm decisions decisions.

Oh yeah, how much do you think it would cost to do a t-top conversion including labor.

Old 06-18-2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by PureMuscle
Yeah I was afraid people were gonna say they love them. This car seems pristine though, and it's hard to find a Z28 with really low miles. On the other hand I am saying to myself that I shouldn't settle and make sure I get exactly what I want. I'm also thinking if I should just wait and find an SS. I'll love either car but if if I'm going to go through the hastle of selling my car and loosing a loit of money on it for another it better be what I want you know. Hmm decisions decisions.

Oh yeah, how much do you think it would cost to do a t-top conversion including labor.

As far as i know there isnt a shop that will do a t top conversion. I guess they dont want to take the risk. But it really isnt that hard. And there are plenty of "how to" manuals floating around the net. Its something you should really look into doing if you really want this car. It cost me about 500-600 bucks in total.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:56 PM

I have T-Tops, and while i do think they are pretty friggin cool on nice days, they sure are a pain, probably one of the biggest pains my car has given me.
In South Texas, where it gets 90 degrees plus, its gotta be at least 110 in the car with the black leather interior and the hot sun just shining on in.
Gets Hot inside sooner, takes longer to cool down.
We get alotta pretty days down here, but when its that hot, sometimes i just wish i had a hardtop that didnt let the sun just fry me.
My car leaks like a waterfall as well, but i know that differs from car to car.
They're fun, but they're a hassel in the conditions im in.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by MrDino
I have T-Tops, and while i do think they are pretty friggin cool on nice days, they sure are a pain, probably one of the biggest pains my car has given me.
In South Texas, where it gets 90 degrees plus, its gotta be at least 110 in the car with the black leather interior and the hot sun just shining on in.
Gets Hot inside sooner, takes longer to cool down.
We get alotta pretty days down here, but when its that hot, sometimes i just wish i had a hardtop that didnt let the sun just fry me.
My car leaks like a waterfall as well, but i know that differs from car to car.
They're fun, but they're a hassel in the conditions im in.
i guess not all cars came with sunshades?
Old 06-19-2004, 12:11 AM

Yeah I was afraid people were gonna say they love them. This car seems pristine though, and it's hard to find a Z28 with really low miles. On the other hand I am saying to myself that I shouldn't settle and make sure I get exactly what I want. I'm also thinking if I should just wait and find an SS.
Another vote in the "Love 'Em" column! I've got a couple friends who have 4th-gens w/T-tops as well, and they love 'em too . Mine are out as often as A) the weather is good, and B) my car is clean!.....I won't take them out if the car is dirty! You can't try to make a dirt bag look sexy!

I'd consider what "stang_killa94" is saying.....if the car is a good deal, then buy it, and if you decide that you want T's, then do the conversion . A few guys on this board have done it now, and I think all of them have been happy with the outcome . Also, unless you REALLY want an SS, don't pass up a good deal on a Z28. The SS is mostly an appearance package anyway, so buy the hood/spoiler down the road if you want, but the engine under the hood is the same, so I'd take the Z28.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:23 AM

I would not have a Z28 without them. I had the same problem when I was looking for a Z28. I wanted T-Tops, 6-speed, Leather, and CD. It took me over 6 months but I finally found a car with everything plus it was the best deal that I came across.

After you get your Z with T-Tops don't forget to latch them after you put them back in, I did about a month ago and it flew out while going down the interstate and landed in the road and busted into a million pieces.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:27 AM
PureMuscle

Thanks for all the opinions, keep em' coming. Has anyone ever had any major problems with them leaking even when just washing the car?

Old 06-19-2004, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all the opinions, keep em' coming. Has anyone ever had any major problems with them leaking even when just washing the car?
If I focus the water from a hose on the top corner of the window where it meets the Ttop - I can get a trickle of water on the inside.
As long as I don't do that, no water on the inside.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:03 AM
PureMuscle

Cool thanks. I got a couple questions also: Did the 02' LS-1 cars come with the stupid skip shift or CAGS?; and the car is supposedly a 35th anniverary edition so is there anything that was added to these cars or were all 02 a 35th anniversary since it was the last year?

Old 06-19-2004, 11:41 AM

Cool thanks. I got a couple questions also: Did the 02' LS-1 cars come with the stupid skip shift or CAGS?; and the car is supposedly a 35th anniverary edition so is there anything that was added to these cars or were all 02 a 35th anniversary since it was the last year?
All six speed F-bodies came with CAGS (skip shift)
Don't let this deter you from making a purchase - it's easy to eliminate.

All 02's are 35th ann. Camaro's and will have the badging on the headrest of front seats............but, a few are the special anniversary SS model, red with white checkered stripes.

Quick Reply: Are t-tops worth it or not? To buy a Z28 or SS with em or with out em'!