Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

SILVERSTAR vs 100watt NOKYA STAGE II ARTIC WHITE

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 01:57 AM

Re: SILVERSTAR vs 100watt NOKYA STAGE II ARTIC WHITE

Yea, bulbs can only do so much. So I'm replacing my foglights with some Pilot fogs to "supplement" the headlights. To be honest, I think the peanut style lamps are adequate and about pretty much the same as other automakers halogen lamps. But after seeing HIDs...man. The Silverstars are 18 bucks for one compared to about 12 for regular. Just a tad brighter and a little whiter. I don't feel safe with any other bulbs, they are either harder to see or HOT. So I don't have much options. I know there are higher wattage bulbs, but they prolly come with shorter life and hotter temperatures, not good when considering GM plastic
Old 08-19-2004, 11:23 AM

Will the 100watt Nokya stage II bulbs, or the 5000k hellas burn my stock harness?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:12 PM

are you looking for looks or more illumination on the road?

Here is a lighting guide.
http://lightguide.cz28.com/custom.html

I'm about to install some Pilot fogs on my car, just like this guy, look how BRIGHT they are!!
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/259814/5
Old 08-19-2004, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure yet.

Whats a good one that wont melt my wires for seeing better?

And whats a good one that wont melt my wires for better looks?

98 Z28 6m
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Well, I might as well throw in my experience with the Nokya's and Silverstars also. Im not terribly pleased with either one of these bulbs. The Nokyas are supposed to be more wattage, but dont seem to put out much more light, if any. The silverstars seemed a TAD brighter than stock, they looked better than stock, but I dont think they were worth it for the price. Way to expensive for the modest help they give in an LT1 Camaro. Next up,im going to be getting some FF75's and attempting to put them in my foglight locations, and hopefully that will give me all the light I need, so I wont have to really worry about my headlights putting out all that much light. Anybody got any sites on what exactly needs to be done to make them work in the stock fog locations? Im sure once I get them ill start messing around with them and ill figure it out, but gettin some help before hand is always a good thing! However, I wont be doing this until Spring rolls around, cuz that is the first time ill be driving my car, cuz ill be at school with my car sitting at home all year basically. At least its something to look forward to for me!

What wattage and colortemp were your Nokya's ?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 98ztwiz
I'm not sure yet.

Whats a good one that wont melt my wires for seeing better?

And whats a good one that wont melt my wires for better looks?

98 Z28 6m
1) Heavy duty headlight harness

2) 100w 5000k FX bulbs

Anything else will give you the frustrated results seen in this thread.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:57 PM

I was under the impression I was getting 100W Stage II Arctic White 9006, however, after siliconing them into the housing, I noticed that on the bulb itself, it said they were only 80W. But the packaging said 100W, so I dont know what was up with that. I think ill be trying the 100W FX bulbs, they seem to be getting decent reviews. Also, I dont really like the very blue tint that my lights have. Its too much for me. But, youre bound to run into these things when you experiment with stuff, so its not a real big deal, just something that will have to be done.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:00 AM

Also, in your sig it says that you have 5000K Hellas. What wattage and in what do you have them? How do they look? Thanks
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
I was under the impression I was getting 100W Stage II Arctic White 9006, however, after siliconing them into the housing, I noticed that on the bulb itself, it said they were only 80W. But the packaging said 100W, so I dont know what was up with that. I think ill be trying the 100W FX bulbs, they seem to be getting decent reviews. Also, I dont really like the very blue tint that my lights have. Its too much for me. But, youre bound to run into these things when you experiment with stuff, so its not a real big deal, just something that will have to be done.

You'll run into that a lot...

"55w=80w" or "80w=100w" which translates to real wattage = alleged output

With any tinted bulb, I won't go with anything lower than 80w (real wattage). 55w is stock wattage...add the heavy tint to it and they probably put out less light than stock.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:13 AM

Anyone know if actual HID's (with ballasts) generate less heat? I dont know the specifics, suffice to say the stock housings are horrible, and I have no desire to upgrade to FF75's simply because the beam pattern was too extreme (though awesome) it was too hard on oncoming drivers IMHO. But I dont want to bake the stock housings... I am in process of upgrading my wiring harness now.

Unless both digital cameras are identical, there is no point in comparing shots from one camera to the next. They could look the same and be different, or look different and be the same. No way to know.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:53 AM

eagleknight97,

I am running the 5000k FX H7 100w (Actual wattage) bulbs in Hella FF75 housings with upgraded headlight harness. My colortemp is exactly like that of a Lexus HID, not blue or purple... just a perfect white. I was also happy with the 4300k Nokya 9005's 100w (Actual) in the 9006 STOCK housings, but I think the FX bulbs are great. I also like the Ichibahn 100w.

I can't stress enough, the importance of upgrading the headlight harness, providing higher CONSISTENT voltage to the bulbs.

Geoff makes a great point about the FF75's. By far the Hella 90mm + HID are the best option available. There is a reason Le Mans cars use them

Geoff... HID does generate less heat
Old 08-20-2004, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I already got my harness kind of upgraded. I put in some 30amp relays for my lights. So they get a consistent amount of power. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM

The stock wiring harness for the headlights is actually not that bad... I checked the voltage at the terminals of the H9 light bulb (65W) that I run in my Hella 90mm housings and it was 13.5V with the bulbs on. With the battery terminal voltage being ~14.4V, the harness really only drops it less than a volt.

However, considering I got my winter project ready (upgrading my Hella 90mm low beam projectors to HID), I am going to install an upgraded harness because the HID ballasts pull up to 10Amps each during startup (after startup, the current is only ~3Amps each).

Just wanted to share my recent findings...

Sam
Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sam95ZNoTop
13.5V with the bulbs on. With the battery terminal voltage being ~14.4V, the harness really only drops it less than a volt.
Huge difference
Old 11-12-2004, 04:07 PM

After reading this, what's a cost effective route to go with better than stock results? I have a lowbeam out and I want to fix it, but being the performance junkie I am I want something better than stock, but not something that will rape my back pocket.

I would assume that you should not only replace both lowbeams but highbeams and perhaps even fogs so everything doesnt look out of place?

What are the costs of these various options? Stock kit?

I care about function more than looks, but looks dont hurt...

Thank you gentlemen.

-Dustin-

Quick Reply: SILVERSTAR vs 100watt NOKYA STAGE II ARTIC WHITE