Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Removing tint from rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:17 PM

Removing tint from rear hatch

I need to know the BEST way to remove bad tint from rear hatch. I have some BAD tint on the rear that isnt even dark from the previous owner. It is on there in 3 poorly laid strips. What is the best way to remove this without messing up the defroster lines?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:34 AM

I'd be curious to know as well. I've heard that it can't be done, but I don't believe that.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:08 AM

Well i took the back tint of my window myself. The way the guy told me (the one i was doing my tinting for me) told me to take a black plastic trash bag and cut it into the shape on the window.

THen open the hatch and spray some soapy water on the window and put the black trash bag on the window.

Then let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. It helps if you take a swigue (sp?) and flatten the air pockets inbetween the window and the trash bag.

Then after that take the trash bag off and get a razor blade and pull up on of th edges.

To make sure you have all the glue off take some more soapy water or i also used opps and get a white britto pad and that shouldnt take the defrosters off. The white pad is kind of like the green one you use when your doing dishes.

Need anymore info just ask or pm.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:07 AM

I may go ahead and try to remove it today, we'll see what happens.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by kgkern01
I may go ahead and try to remove it today, we'll see what happens.
I will be doing it this evening, and will let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:34 PM

The tint pulled up pretty easily, given that I was able to get under the edge where it was beginning to peel. I found that acetone broke up the glue fairly well, and used some dawn and water to clean up the remaining residue, then finished it off finally with some window cleaner.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:33 AM

kgkern01, that sounds like you had a lot of the glue left on the window. I think what I did is easier overall.

The sprayed the rear tint liberally with Simple Green. I covered it with cling wrap to keep it from drying or running off. I did this to the entire rear hatch and made sure to cover all of the tint. Then I went inside and ate dinner. I came back out and turned the rear defrost on. I left it for about five minutes. Then I started at the bottom of the glass and picked the tint off with a razor blade, just enough to get my finger on it. Then slow and steady I peeled the tint off. I left the defrost on while pulling the tint. I left almost no glue behind, it all came off with the tint! Once it was all off, I windexed it a few times to get any glue and make sure the entire window was clean. The black "dots" held a little glue, and the edge of the tint left a little behind as well, so I made sure to get that all clean. It was really a lot easier than I thought, and the defrost is still intact! It sure is a lot better than the $110 the tint shop wanted to remove it. Just be careful with the defrost, take your time, and it truly is a breeze to do.