Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Care and Maintenance > Appearance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Garage
Plasti Dip what it is, and what does it look good on

Ok guys im seeing allot of posts about plasti dip and people recommending it. I did some research and found out its basically a plastic like coating that people use for tools. I have seen youtube videos of people doing their rims in this. My question is what are the advantages and what looks good on 4th gen coated in this?

Here is info if your new to hearing about this like me
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...FUWW7QodCFr_wQ
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
383 stroker, .202 heads,headers, Team G intake, Holley 750, .410 gears,12.16 1/4 mile
OutlawPerforman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

Re: Plasti Dip what it is, and what does it look good on

The biggest advantage is its temporary, as in you can peel it off if you don't like it. Thats also the biggest downside though. It's not gonna last forever, and if it ever starts to peel, the whole thing is gonna come off. That being said, its great to see how things might look on your car.
I snagged a can of black plastidip andtest painted a spare berger panel just to see how it looked and it was pretty good, but not at nice as my actually painted panel. I tried my mirrors too just because I was bored and those came out pretty nice, but I peeled everything off after a week. It comes out looking really close in color and shiny-ness to flat black.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #3

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/paint-...-faq-pics.html
(1 of 905 1996 Camaro RS Convertibles) Arctic White, GT2 Cam, CAI,True Duals magna flow bullets, Corsa Clones, SS 10 spoke wheels, Harwood 2.5" cowl hood, UMI SFC's, J&M LCA's, J&M Panhard Rod, 32/21 1LE sway bars, ebony leather interior conversion.
fbodyrs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #4

Garage

Thanks guys, this stuff is pretty cool, basically can temporally paint anything you want. Now I can play around with paint combos and stripes without it being permanent. Just curious how easy does it come off? What would you recommend painting on our 4th gens?

Thanks So Much
383 stroker, .202 heads,headers, Team G intake, Holley 750, .410 gears,12.16 1/4 mile
OutlawPerforman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

Garage

I dont believe this stuff would hold up very well to outdoor conditions or car washes nor would it be very scratch resistant. I think it would be hard to apply too, although the work people are doing with it looks good. I dont know, If I was doing some wheels I would Just pay the $$ to have them painted or powder coated. and it is silly to use this stuff for stripes when vinal stripe kits are available.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #6

did a 1,000 miles in the explorer to Disney world and back not a single chip in the plasti dip, also went through a car was.
(1 of 905 1996 Camaro RS Convertibles) Arctic White, GT2 Cam, CAI,True Duals magna flow bullets, Corsa Clones, SS 10 spoke wheels, Harwood 2.5" cowl hood, UMI SFC's, J&M LCA's, J&M Panhard Rod, 32/21 1LE sway bars, ebony leather interior conversion.
fbodyrs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to johnny6 Send a message via AIM to johnny6 Send a message via Yahoo to johnny6 Send a message via Skype™ to johnny6

Used plasti dip on my grill on the CTS-V, it's my daily driver and it gets detailed every Friday and not chipping or peeling here. The stuff isn't going to come off unless you want it to. Everyone that's saying it won't hold up to daily outdoor conditions obviously has never used the product or knows anything about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #8

It comes in clear...

anybody use it as a clear bra or behind their wheels to prevent tar and gravel from sticking to the paint?

Theoretically couldn't it be used as a substitute for claybarring your car? Or at least remove the brake dust from your wheels when you remove it from the inside of your wheels? Seems like it's almost like a girl getting her legs waxed. Hey... there's an idea...

The inner t-top area on that ls1tech topic looks cool

This is a topic I saw awhile back in the Grand Prix section and I thought it looked great. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/paint-...xperiment.html
Brangeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #9

Sounds like a good solution to the inevitable cracked dash piece on all fourth gen F-bodies.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Reply Post New Thread