Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

pass side door light dim?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 AM

pass side door light dim? FIXED!!!

I r2 the lights for the window controls and the pass side is so dim you can see the light through the window switches brighter. I checked the intensity and when its not installed in the little hole its bright.(these are LEDs and dont need much to light up) Is there a fix for the plastic "optic" path? would this be due to age or is this the norm? I guess I can just remove the piece but it looks like a pita. Anyone else find a fix?

Last edited by chevy_dude97; 02-14-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Re: pass side door light dim?

The real problem is that the opening at the surface is not big enough to let enough light thru.

you could take a chance and try to drill it out to expand the opening but it might be better to just get some regular interior accesory lights and tape or screw them up near where the stock lights are and just wire them to the same wires, but I dont think you can put led's on the dimmer so research that or just get regular bulbs. I dont know, maybe the LED's would be fine on the dimmer?

I'm kind of liking this idea, I might do it myself.

but the switch layout is so simple you really dont even need lighting there. It would just be for looks.

Last edited by Evolution223; 01-30-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223
The real problem is that the opening at the surface is not big enough to let enough light thru.

you could take a chance and try to drill it out to expand the opening but it might be better to just get some regular interior accesory lights and tape or screw them up near where the stock lights are and just wire them to the same wires, but I dont think you can put led's on the dimmer so research that or just get regular bulbs. I dont know, maybe the LED's would be fine on the dimmer?

I'm kind of liking this idea, I might do it myself.

but the switch layout is so simple you really dont even need lighting there. It would just be for looks.

Yes looks and its damn dark inside at night... no floor lighting ect... the LEDs are awsome and on my drivers side its bright really bright, Im going to open the pass door again and check if the light element is melted or dirty.... this is the only reason I can think of. Oh they are nice
Took it off and cleaned it, it was a bit dirty but still doesn't let as much light through as the drivers side.

Last edited by chevy_dude97; 02-01-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Nobody has had this problem? Even the factory light is very dim light coming thru. I tried cleaning the outside as it was very dirty. Has anyone tried polishing the optical plastic before with luck?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Ok so I fixed my pass side door,
first I pulled out the optic using my soldering iron.
then I polished the 2 surfaces the light starts and ends... this did do a little but it was still weak, so with it out I put the bulb in and noticed the led was firing just off of the start part of the optic, so I modded the led to fire straight at it and now it is just as bright as the drivers door!!! Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.