Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Painting calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 AM

Painting calipers?

How difficult is it to paint my brake calipers? I assume not hard? I'm figuring I just have to pull off the wheels, take the calipers off, clean them, spray paint them with caliper paint, put them back on and bleed the brakes? Is this true? And how does one go about bleeding brakes?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 AM

Re: Painting calipers?

Although removing the brakes completely is the best way to do it thoroughly and cleanly, it's not neccessary. I painted mine on the car with the brush on Duplicolor kit (comes with a spray can of brake cleaner, masking tape, can of paint and a brush.)

While I was at it, I mixed the Duplicolor blue paint with Duplicolor silver and got a really awesome pearlescent blue color on my calipers. Here is a picture of it... Even though you can't really tell how awesome this hue really is from the pic, you can get an idea.

http://www.porteighty.biz/uploads/NZ28010.jpg
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 AM

Thanks Z. That really does look good. I've got a red SS, so I'm figuring on painting the calipers red too (unless anyone has a better idea). And where do I get this caliper paint kit you speak of? How much did you pay?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cmw214
Thanks Z. That really does look good. I've got a red SS, so I'm figuring on painting the calipers red too (unless anyone has a better idea). And where do I get this caliper paint kit you speak of? How much did you pay?
Any auto parts store should have it, unless it's a real small mom and pop type store. But I think Napa, Autozone, CarQuest, Kragen, Checkers? should have it.

I got mine at Pep Boys, so I'm sure any of the big chain auto parts stores would have it, like Autozone and Napa. I want to say the kit was $15. It comes in a box and looks like this:

Oh and I agree with the red on your car. Should look killer.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 AM

I've heard it is very difficult to get the calipers completely clean in every spot if you don't remove them. Also, if you don't take them off, you might accidently paint your rotor or brake pads.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I've heard it is very difficult to get the calipers completely clean in every spot if you don't remove them. Also, if you don't take them off, you might accidently paint your rotor or brake pads.
That's what the masking tape is for.

Also, I turned the wheel from lock to lock as I needed to get into a different position.

Here's a couple more pics:

Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 AM

I would assume its like painting the valve cover on my srt4....just take your time and make sure they are clean before you spray them.....
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned

You don't necessarily need to buy high dollar paint to do your calipers. Clean your brakes really well, I used throttle body cleaner. The paint I used was the 97 cent colorplace crap from wal-mart. I did the job about a year ago now and it still looks great. Hit it with a couple coats of color and then a couple coats of clear and you'll have a good looking set of calipers.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:59 PM

I used a really coarse wire brush to get all the rust/crap off. It worked pretty good, it's 1 year later and its still there but black from brake dust (I dont clean em enough). I also left my callipers on, no need to take em off.