Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Paint guys in here

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Paint guys in here

Finally am going to grow a pair and fix my bumper that somebody hit a few months back. It cracked the bumper on the passenger side next to the blinker light. I have an artic white TA and just want to paint the bumper not the whole car. Im first going to fix the bumper and then sand it, prime it, paint it,

I have never done any painting before except for my ceta panel and really want to give it a shot. I know if I mess it up i can get it professionally done for about 100 dollars. I know you guys are just going to say spend the cash and get it done right. But i kinda want to start learning how to do paint and body work and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to start.

I plan on turning my whole garage into a paint booth. My questions to you guys would be Where can i get the materials that match the stock paint? Also do you guys know of any tips on how to mix the paint? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM

i no that o reilly ad autozone and stuff has paint that match chevy paint codes, but they are in spray cans.so i dont no if thats what your looking for.

and i have done my berger panel, i used like 1000 grit sandpaper and wetsanded it, washed it off with a garden hose, and did that till all the clear coat was off.
then, i primed it, once i got the primer on, i then, sanded it some(not to much though or else you might sand all the primer offf)
the painted it in several light layers.
but i used flat, so i didnt use a clear coat.

hope this helps some
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Yes it does thank you I did the exact same thing to my ceta panel. But I was thinking more with an air gun instead of a rattle can just cause eventually i want to take on my whole car and want to get as much practice in that i can.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM

i'd contact an auto body supply shop and talk to them. they should have what you need and be able to answer some questions.

we have a local place called Ned's Auto Body Supply, i'm sure you have something similar in your area. http://www.nedsautobodysupply.com/
Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM

If you can get it professionally done for $100 why would you even attempt to do it yourself? That's a heck of a bargain. You can't even buy a good paint gun for that much. Unless I'm remembering wrong, $300+ is pretty average for a front bumper.

If you want to just learn to paint, I'm sure you could go to a trade school and then get a job in that field and you wouldn't have to buy your own expensive equipment.