Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Old-School styling on a 4th gen - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Old-School styling on a 4th gen - ideas?

Alright guys, this is a rather open-ended thread, so let me try and set the scope of how I want this answered.

1) My 94 bird recently went from bolt on daily 350 daily driver to brutal 355 weekend/drag only.

2) Recently I ditched the 17x9 street rims in favor of 15" weld rodlites (These are the less common ones relative to the prostairs or draglites - however look equally as badass and potentially more oldschool which I do want)

3) I wont do this paint job until I get the VFN or Glasstek 4" cowl/ram air combo hood on because not only does it scream muscle car it just looks wicked as well.

So in light of these body/wheel mods and given the type of car and purpose it serves now (less show - more go) what are some styling cues, paint combos, etc that can be done to really make the car unique. I am also doing this on somewhat of a budget, especially in light of all the engine and wheel mods that have just occured.

Oh also the car has that raked look already because of the MT's on the rear and the eibach springs that are up front only. (again, playing into that old school look)

Some of MY ideas in no particular order or combonation:
~flat black the entire car
~old school pinstriping
~ghost flames?
~striping of any sort?
~color combos if not flat black...etc
~1960s badging?

If you have pics or ideas for any or all of the ideas above, even if they arent on a firebird, please post them, or at least just include the link for them to save space. Interior is fairly stripped and I like the idea of a T-handle Hurst shifter and other items which give the car a retro feel. Feel free to include these as well.

I really want to do this right the first time - again, I do not want a $10,000 kameleon paint scheme - this is back to the roots. dare i say even a ratrod of sorts without looking like it is permanently under construction. I just want something to compliment the wicked motor and the true duals which could wake the dead!!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 AM

Re: Old-School styling on a 4th gen - ideas?

only one thing.......firechicken
Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 AM

white with a single blue stripe down the middle like a 2nd gen t/a.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:53 PM

not a bad idea at all...i dont want to make a carbon copy of an older 2nd or 1st gen though - so keep that in mind, i just want to take cues from it.

(doesnt that sound like the episode of OCC where paulie is doing leno's bike?!?!)

anyway, i recently found the thread to the poll on flat black and most people dont like it. i think i could pull it off cause the car is sort of in that realm of drag car only now - plus i love the movie american graffitti in case anyone knows what i am talking about. i am kicking around the idea of some sort of old firechicken like smokey and the bandit, but that might be a little too much.

what about some sort of faint ghost flames or other creative ideas? again, pics dont even have to be on an fbody, i just need to get some ideas flowing. thanks guys

oh also - any good sites to find inexpensive (if possible) older badging, etc?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 PM

Here's what I am going for on my '93Z.....
Old 08-17-2006, 01:25 PM

I actually really like that - you should try and condense it into 2 fat stripes but keep the exact font/formatting - that should look killer on a 4th gen.

anyone else?