Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Never seen a 4th gen rusting out til now

Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Never seen a 4th gen rusting out til now

I'm shocked. I'm impressed the LT1 Z28 has 276,000 miles on it though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...3A1|240%3A1318

Now I fully understand why everyone tells me to only buy a Camaro from Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona. I've been under our Z28 many times, and thank god there isn't a bit of that! The SS, well, it's rarely even seen rain nor winter, so it's spotless.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Makes me glad they don't use salt on the roads here in the winter. It's pretty rare to see rusty cars here. I bought my Camaro when I lived in California and the proximity to the ocean and neglect by the previous owner absolutely trashed my clear coat.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 PM

I've got rust on the passenger side rear floorboard, some small spots on the core support, and there was a little surface rust where the rockerpanel/quarter panel area ends. It's inevitable. That looks really bad for a 4th gen though.... I see 4-5x's more beaten out 4th gen's now then clean ones. It will only get worse till a clean 4th gen becomes a classic...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 AM

Not suprised, it's a 14 year old car from the rust belt, driven almost 20K miles a year. If it was a 95 Lumina no one would be suprised, 4th gens still have a good bit of metal. Thats not the first one I have seen rotting though
Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 AM

Is there any really good way of preventing rust neil350? Like, can you have the underside of the car and wheel wells coated in something? Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Is there any really good way of preventing rust neil350? Like, can you have the underside of the car and wheel wells coated in something? Any ideas?
POR15 will keep rust from getting a hold of your car. http://www.por15.com/

It ain't cheap, though.

Pint............ $29.95
Quart......... $44.95
Gallon........ $143.00
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Wow that's bad, definitely the rustiest 4th gen I've ever seen. It's a purple one like mine too

Mine is from Wisconsin and it does have some light rust spots underneath and the driver's side rear inner fender has a small hole through it in one spot But that can hopefully be fixed without exorbitant effort... Some of the suspension stuff though was just beyond saving. The rear axle looked like it came off of a car sitting outside in a field for 50 years! I just broke the ring and pinion in it and when I took the whole thing out yesterday, a couple of bolts just broke up due to the rust..

edit: Also glad to see the seller was at least somewhat up front about the rust.

Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 05-06-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

Now I fully understand why everyone tells me to only buy a Camaro from Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona. I've been under our Z28 many times, and thank god there isn't a bit of that! The SS, well, it's rarely even seen rain nor winter, so it's spotless.
Really, just about any southern car is going to be pretty much rust free. My cars are rust free at 13 and 17 years old.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM

ugh. thats disgusting. i took a pic of my underbody last fall before putting it away for the winter. it has almost 124k but hasn't seen a single northern winter. boy what a difference. it was a hawaii/FL car (with a year in NC in between where it got one dusting that melted in a few hours) i brought it back here in the summer of 2007 and stored it that winter and last winter. I've been down the rust road before with my last car. this one won't see winter EVER. when i was moving back to Indiana from AZ in 2007 people asked me why didin't just sell my T/A and buy one here when i got back. this is EXACTLY why. and what people say about the salt air down there can be true, but the car was in Weston FL which is about as far away as you can get on the east coast (ft lauderdale) without swimming with the gators in the glades.

it looks to be the same exact area as photo 2 above.

Name:  100_0619.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  101.4 KB

Last edited by 1995blackttopta; 05-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM

See, that's how our Z28 looks underneath. I didn't know these things would rust as bad at that purple one. I know for a fact GM used something to prevent rust on the bottom of the cars, or offerred it as a dealer coating. I'd have to look in some paperwork to figure out what that is, and I'm not doing that today.

We have it, because it looks a little like cement, but it's only along the edges of the underbody. It appears like the image above shows it in the top right corner. Not sure if all Camaros had that or not...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM

See, that's how our Z28 looks underneath. I didn't know these things would rust as bad at that purple one. I know for a fact GM used something to prevent rust on the bottom of the cars, or offerred it as a dealer coating. I'd have to look in some paperwork to figure out what that is, and I'm not doing that today.

We have it, because it looks a little like cement, but it's only along the edges of the underbody. It appears like the image above shows it in the top right corner. Not sure if all Camaros had that or not...
here's a better pic of it, and yeah its some sort of coating. the white i'm not sure what that is, maybe road paint at some point

Name:  100_0612.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  74.2 KB

the black in this one is a little paint overspray from when my gfx on that side were painted (shop broke the other side so they didn't want to remove that side i guess) and i'm guessing the bend in the rail is from a jack. thats about the only underbody damage i have anywhere and even that is still clean.

Name:  100_0608.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  132.1 KB
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Yeah, that's the stuff!

We originally thought we ran through wet cement at some point, til we discovered we didn't have it all over the underside. That's what happens when you have a car in the family so long.

Don't remember specifically what it was called via GM.

Concerning the bend, just about any time you jack up these cars something bends. We have jack stand indentations and such on the bottom of the Z28. I've never done any work whatsoever on the SS, so I've never even had it jacked up before to get a look at the underside.

Last edited by Brangeta; 05-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Yeah, that's the stuff!

We originally thought we ran through wet cement at some point, til we discovered we didn't have it all over the underside. That's what happens when you have a car in the family so long.

Don't remember specifically what it was called via GM.

Concerning the bend, just about any time you jack up these cars something bends. We have jack stand indentations and such on the bottom of the Z28. I've never done any work whatsoever on the SS, so I've never even had it jacked up before to get a look at the underside.
yeah i'm 99% sure i know where/when it happened. a couple months after i bought the car i had a blowout on my way up to tampa just west of alligator alley. i knew i didn't have a jack but i hadn't gone to a junkyard to get one yet. i had to call florida helpers and they had a floor jack that barely fit under the car and that is the exact area they used to jack it up. i had the spare, lugnut wrench, key, and the little plastic instruction piece, but no jack. i have one now, lol
Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM

My 93 is so oil soaked I dont think it will ever rust. I live in Tx btw. Under the rad support there are a few tiny rust bubles, but I have plans to prevent them from spreading. Going to sand it down an hit it with a few coats of rustolium. Should that do it?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by powerslide350
My 93 is so oil soaked I dont think it will ever rust. I live in Tx btw. Under the rad support there are a few tiny rust bubles, but I have plans to prevent them from spreading. Going to sand it down an hit it with a few coats of rustolium. Should that do it?

mine had that, i think al LT1's do. its called the factory 5w30/10w30 leaking intake manifold rustproofing. I fixed mine last year though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never seen a 4th gen rusting out til now