Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

My T Top Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by twozs
why wouldnt you just sell the car and buy one with t tops? you know that they're going to leak
Had mine for years, never leaked once. I don't understand how anyone couldn't figure out how to fix most leaks from t-tops.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Wow i didnt relize they t-top formation is actually still intac under the roof panel. Doesnt actually look to hard to convert over to t-tops. My buddy picked up a bargain retardedly cheap and the only downside is its hardtop.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Wow i didnt relize they t-top formation is actually still intac under the roof panel. Doesnt actually look to hard to convert over to t-tops. My buddy picked up a bargain retardedly cheap and the only downside is its hardtop.
That's no downside if he's going to make a dragster out of it.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
Had mine for years, never leaked once. I don't understand how anyone couldn't figure out how to fix most leaks from t-tops.
X2. I was lucky with my Trans Am, the factory T-Tops didn't leak in mine (not even in the carwash) but I know a lot of people whos tops did leak from the factory. That being said, the few that I know that have converted theirs haven't leaked at all. They took the extra time to fix up the trouble spots and the tops fit more snug than my factory job.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 PM

I think most people's t tops leak because they never take the time to properly adjust them. To get to the mounting brackets you have to remove the headliner which can be a PITA since they are very frail and break very easily. I really dont understand where they could possible leak from either, unless the glass was not touching the weather stripping all the way (assuming the weather stripping was in good condition).
Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by RacingTiger04
hmm, I never knew that underneath the fiberglass roof panel the t-top holes were still present. Has anyone ever thought of just peeling off the top piece and making a new fiberglass piece with two pieces of plexi or glass? or perhaps two very small electric moon roofs O_O
Thats exactly what i was thinking when i saw that. It would look cool and keep structural integrity.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Great looking job so far Derrick! Man, you got some ***** to take that saw to the car for the first cut! Dunno if I could do that..

Keep the pics coming!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 AM

Looks good Captain. Might want to tan those legs. Sometimes I wish my car didn't come with t-tops.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Captain
I think most people's t tops leak because they never take the time to properly adjust them.
Exactly.

Good job dude!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM

I put a bunch of that weatherstripping RTV all around the drains, making it waterproof. No leaks so far.

New headliner is going to cost $250+ unless I find a bargain. I guess I will just save up the money and hope I find one before then.
I got a headliner from a junk yard for like $15 after I did my conversion. Then I just bought some fabric and re-covered it. I also only paid $20 for my t-tops (person spelled everything wrong in the ebay auction and I was the only one that saw them I guess. They were pissed).
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by notstock4long
I got a headliner from a junk yard for like $15 after I did my conversion. Then I just bought some fabric and re-covered it. I also only paid $20 for my t-tops (person spelled everything wrong in the ebay auction and I was the only one that saw them I guess. They were pissed).
The only junkyard near me that has one for t tops wants $100 for it, and I am not even sure what kind of condition its in. I put my hardtop one back in and cut out the holes for the t tops, but when I took it back out the wind caught it and snapped it in half I think it would have worked too.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 PM

The only junkyard near me that has one for t tops wants $100 for it, and I am not even sure what kind of condition its in. I put my hardtop one back in and cut out the holes for the t tops, but when I took it back out the wind caught it and snapped it in half I think it would have worked too.
for that kind of money you should just get one of the ABS plastic ones which are around $200 i think. i made the mistake of trying to recover mine a few years ago and i think it cost me around $160 and while it looks pretty good, its not perfect. my original board broke during the process and i had to get a new one. luckily i had enough material from year one to recover 2 boards, but the glue was pricey too. so $60 for the material, $40 for the used board and $60 in glue (the glue was $15 per can and it took 2 cans each time it was done) so total cost was ~ $160 not counting a 100 mile round trip down to miami to get the used board from trans am creations. hindsight is 20/20 but if i could go back and do it all over again i would have just gotten one of the ABS plastic ones covered in graphite.

you can see where it doesn't wrap around the corner perfecty on the back side of the headliner in the first pic and in the second pic you can see where the faboric didn't completely cover the board in one spot.

Name:  100_0897.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  100_0913.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  154.2 KB

Last edited by 1995blackttopta; 04-09-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Yeah I am planning on buying a plastic one, but its really not bothering me right now. Hell, I might just leave the headliner out.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 AM

Got pissed at mine about 2 1/2 years ago and yanked it out.Still haven't put one back in yet.The old one was falling apart and I got tired of all the crap falling on my head.Don't really miss it to tell ya the truth.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:51 AM

way to go! looks good as far as i can tell.

Quick Reply: My T Top Conversion