Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

most unusual find of the week: '95 Firebird in the UK with only 27 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM

most unusual find of the week: '95 Firebird in the UK with only 27 miles

This is just really odd to me. I'm just a Camaro fan and history follower, so seeing this is just weird. It's a '95 Firebird with only 27 miles that has never been titled. Check out the export mirrors.

http://www.americancarsuk.com/Pontia...995/page01.htm

I wonder just how rare it is to see Firebirds and Camaros in the UK. Do you think they think of them about how we think of Lotuses and Aston Martins?

If I remember correctly, the cost of the new Z28 in the UK was around the equivalent of $50,000.

Last edited by Brangeta; 02-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Re: most unusual find of the week: '95 Firebird in the UK with only 27 miles

It's a '95 Firebird with only 27 miles that has never been titled.
The add says the car has never been "registered" for the road. (In England)!
It has Ohio plates so it was titled at one time.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Oops, my slip up. Still kind of neat that there's a V6 Firebird in England that's basically never been driven.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
It has Ohio plates so it was titled at one time.
Not necessarily. The owner of the car could've bought the plates from someone who had them sitting around, solely for display purposes. In fact, I have plates from about 5 cars that I no longer own hanging on the garage wall. EDIT: I read the ad, and the car was sold new in England and used as a showroom display model, so I'd say the plates are just for show.

I just thought of something, though. Why does an export car have a front license plate bracket from the US? As I recall, the UK uses those short, wide plates. I may be mistaken, but I don't think that bracket belongs on that car at all.

Last edited by TD95Z; 02-23-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Had an "AH HA!" moment.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
This is just really odd to me. I'm just a Camaro fan and history follower, so seeing this is just weird. It's a '95 Firebird with only 27 miles that has never been titled. Check out the export mirrors.

http://www.americancarsuk.com/Pontia...995/page01.htm

I wonder just how rare it is to see Firebirds and Camaros in the UK. Do you think they think of them about how we think of Lotuses and Aston Martins?

If I remember correctly, the cost of the new Z28 in the UK was around the equivalent of $50,000.
Any American car not Ford is rare in the UK
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Check out the export mirrors.
Take a good look at the turn signals. Notice anything unusual? And no, I don't mean the extra ones. Take a real good look at the amber turn signals and you'll notice they have a distinct bubble shape to them. Talk about rare.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Is that unusual? Not being a Firebird person, I don't notice the details like that.

I wonder what those little clear blinkers are for?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Is that unusual? Not being a Firebird person, I don't notice the details like that.

The turn signals on a US model are flat, just like on the Camaros. The lenses on that car have a convex shape that is not present on our cars. My car is at the shop getting its new Performabuilt trans put in, so I can't snap a picture for reference right now.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
Not necessarily. The owner of the car could've bought the plates from someone who had them sitting around, solely for display purposes. In fact, I have plates from about 5 cars that I no longer own hanging on the garage wall. EDIT: I read the ad, and the car was sold new in England and used as a showroom display model, so I'd say the plates are just for show.

I just thought of something, though. Why does an export car have a front license plate bracket from the US? As I recall, the UK uses those short, wide plates. I may be mistaken, but I don't think that bracket belongs on that car at all.
Could be right, this whole thing seems rather od. The plate is why I thought it was probably titled. Why would an English dealer put U.S. plates on a car??
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 PM

The white lights might be parking lights- some Euro countries require parked cars on streets to be illuminated. I like the turn signals on the sides of the front fenders, too. If it has fog lights, Euro regs require a red rear foglight, also. Some European cars "cheat" and just illuminate one brake light when the fog lights are on. Makes sense, in reduced visibility, foggy conditions, to make the rear end brighter also.

Wish I had some import mirrors for the Camaro. They are built to fold in, but the rectangular format makes them more functional, too (though less stylish and aerodynamic)