Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Make your own airdam extension!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned

Make your own airdam extension!

If you've got ground effects and the stock airdam, chances are you're probably overheating no matter how fast you're driving. I know I was...~255ish on the interstate going 80 mph! How I didn't blow a head gasket, I'll never know. Anyway, get in the car and go to Lowe's. But before you go, you'll need to know what you're looking for. I don't remember the name of the metal I got, but it shouldn't be hard to find. It's galvanized aluminum (i think it's galvanized at least) and it's in the shape that you see below. It's got something like a 40 degree bend in it, which is perfect! Get that and a couple 3/4 inch nuts and bolts. You can get away with shorter, but it's easier to work with the slightly longer bolt. If you've already got tin snips, then you're set. If not, you might (definitely) need some. Pictures next and then some basic information.

Ok, you're back from Lowe's and you've reviewed the above pictures somewhat carefully. You'll notice that the piece of metal you have is considerably longer than the airdam. That's cool. Measure about 34.5 inches and cut yourself 3 pieces that size. You should have a little left over, you won't be needing it. Stack the 3 pieces on top of eachother. Take the tin snips and cut little notches every 5-8 inches around the bottom 3 edges of the airdam extension. Those will make folding the edges over a LOT easier.

Get some pliers or whateve and start folding the edges back to join all three layers together. Once you've more or less got them bent back, get a BFH and smack em down tight. Drill a few holes in your airdam extension for your bolts to go through. If you've got clamps, awesome! Use them to hold the extension to your existing airdam and drill the holes through the factory piece. Now all you need to do is get out the bolts and tighten them down. You should be good to go. There, not even 20 bucks later you've got a great airdam extension that will keep your engine running much cooler.

Side note: The airdam may hang too low for your liking. It's always possible to cut some of the bottom edge off to get yourself a little more clearance, although you won't be hurting much if this extension drags. You can see mine's beat to hell and back but still performs flawlessly and has more or less held it's shape.

Also: The angled edges of mine are so I can get in and out of my curbed driveway easier. You may or may not need to do this to yours. Oh yeah, and be careful from now on when you get under the front of your car. The only danger of this new piece is that it may cut the crap out of you if you're not careful.

Last edited by shock6906; 05-25-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:57 AM

Why would you want to extend your airdam? Mine is barely not on the ground as it is, haha...

Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
If you've got ground effects and the stock airdam, chances are you're probably overheating no matter how fast you're driving. I know I was...~255ish on the interstate going 80 mph!

That's why. The GFX deflect some of the air that would usually hit the air dam and be forced up to the radiator. That's a major piece in keeping these cars from overheating.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

You probably wouldn't consider ground effects anyway with how low your car is. Most of the Camaros I've seen are at stock ride-height. Either that, or using a drop kit OTHER than the Eibach Sportline springs. I know I'd never consider lowering my V6 Camaro. I've got Sportlines on my Z and it's far too low to consider adding ground effects.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM

I'm no metal expert, but I don't think galvanized aluminum exists. I could be wrong, but that looks like galvanized steel in the pic too me, especially based onthe thickness of it.

Probably not worth saying here, but just in case... don't go welding on galvanized steel. It releases a toxic gas similar to mustard gas.

Oh, and what is that you have ziptyed above your airdam? a pipe?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what kind of metal it is. I actually made this thing about 6 months ago so my memory is very cloudy at this point on the particulars of it. That thing you see zip-tied up there is a neon rod. I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to ask.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:31 PM

no thanks, mine scrapes the ground enough as it is.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Schismblade
no thanks, mine scrapes the ground enough as it is.
Ferrari 360's have front airdams?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
Ferrari 360's have front airdams?
LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I'm no metal expert, but I don't think galvanized aluminum exists. I could be wrong, but that looks like galvanized steel in the pic too me, especially based onthe thickness of it.

Probably not worth saying here, but just in case... don't go welding on galvanized steel. It releases a toxic gas similar to mustard gas.

Oh, and what is that you have ziptyed above your airdam? a pipe?
No your right, you don't galvanize aluminum. It's steel, which is fine because the aluminum you get at the hardware store isn't thick enough or strong enough to hold up anyway.
I think I would have done it the other way around. I would have built the top out of metal and put the rubber on the bottom. But it just has to work!