Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.
View Poll Results: What do you think would be better?
Purple car + red wine and black interior with purple headliner
14.29%
Purple car + purple and black interior with purple headliner
85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Interior idea poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Interior idea poll

Well, since I'm day dreaming again (not enough work to keep me busy right now) I thought I'd ask you guys what you think about this idea I have.

Background: My plan is to have a Z28 show car in a few years when I can afford to have a second car. I am a graphic designer and naturally love really vibrant colors, so being to "pull off" a color isn't even a concern. This car would ideally never be a driver, and would be just for show, special occasions, and whenever I am essentially NOT running errands when I would need to park it and leave it somewhere.

The car will be Bright Purple Metallic. Ex:

If I can't find one when I'm ready in that color, I'll buy a black one, and may have it repainted a slightly different purple I like a bit more. The same color as the purple Samsung Rant (my phone), which is a little brighter, and has a ton of pearl in it so it has blues and bright purples, dark purples, medium purples, etc. in it. Gorgeous.

http://www.anything4wireless.com/ima...etail/rant.jpg

And I'm thinking that I would want the interior customized. Graphite leather just doesn't do it for me anymore. I've looked around, and I can't find a color of purple leather I like. Purple can be an extremely girly color, and to me, a lot of the purples I find are just too darn purple. They don't compliment the paint color at all, they make it look cheap. From what I've seen the only colors available are a vibrant medium purple, a disgustingly girly lavendar, and a you-just-spent-$1000-getting-custom-leather-that-just-looks-like-graphite-with-a-purple-tint-to-it?!. So none of those are going to work.

When I saw this interior redone in a Porsche in a color called (well... translated to) red wine, a lightbulb went on in my head, and I thought it would look really good in my dream Camaro. The majority of my interior would remain graphite/charcoal, but the seat centers, door panels, steering wheel ring, shift ball, and e-brake handle would be this color.

Name:  080526-7.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  113.9 KB

Do you think that would look good?

When I saw this suede headliner, I also thought that would look good. What do you think? Do you think they would look good together? I love the way this headliner looks, so let's pretend that this is mandatory.

Name:  080424-9.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  103.2 KB

Thinking about this reminded me of a friend of mine who owns a Callaway Speedster. His car is purple haze with a pink clay interior. The combination works rather well to me, but the pinkness of his interior is too much for me. I like what I chose. Opinions?

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  226.5 KB
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM

I like the red seat idea, but not to sure on the headliner, btw I love BPM ever sense it was new back when I was in high school.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Nay on the headliner, keep it graphite.

That corvette looks pretty good. Just don't overdo the red wine or else it will look like a late 80's interior.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM

4 votes out of 47 views. And it's a tie.

You guys must be sick of me to not reply.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
4 votes out of 47 views. And it's a tie.

You guys must be sick of me to not reply.
nah, lol. i voted! i actually think the red is a great idea. i like your taste man so what ever you go with i think im going to like.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM

yea what ever you like more. but i chose the second one.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Discovered that red wine color is actually really close to a Porsche stock interior color called Magenta (which I at least told Shock6906 about a year ago) and is trim code 938 from most aftermarket suppliers. It was used from about 1985 to 1995 in Porsche 944 and Porsche 968... whatever the hell those models are... I don't know my old Porsches

What do you think of the color?

Yay? Nay? Clash or Compliment?

From that picture, I anticipate a high likelihood of complete badassness. Wonder how much it would cost to get those cool ridges put in the seats?!

This is at least a leather I can find. I can't find a color exactly like what that Korean company used.

Last edited by Brangeta; 08-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM

I would keep the interior black, headliner black, leave the purple color. Your red wine idea i dont really like, but hey its not my car.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM

I don't think the seats will look right being red while the car is purple. It will look off...kinda like wearing black pants and a different darkness black shirt. They need to either match perfectly, or be different enough that it looks right.

Name:  purple.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  64.3 KB
Old 08-19-2009, 05:42 PM

I've tried finding that Cosmos Purple leather, but didn't have any luck. I even contacted GM and they had no idea who the supplier in Australia was. I'd contact Holden specifically... but am I really going to have leather shipped from Australia to Texas? Nahhhh. So it isn't worth the time and effort.

The problem (in my opinion) with the majority of purple leather is that it looks cheap and cheesy as hell.

The GTO leather seems a good color, but most are cheesy shades that look at home in a ricer, amusement park, or 1980s sitcom. My goal is to have an interior that reminds me of the Maseratis, Aston Martins, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris I love so much. Heck, even Porsches since so far I like the Porsche Magenta color.

Trying to match the purple exterior, to me, is too much purple. So I'm afraid it would look as cheesy as this Viper GTS with blue seats:

I don't want to overwhelm the car with the same/similar shade of purple. It's not as interesting as something that looks a bit different.

Katzkin has a color of purple but doesn't send samples of their leather and doesn't have good fit and finish IMO from what I have seen, so they won't be getting my future business. They deal in bulk sales and mass production, and I want something well crafted, custom, and fits right.

There's a place my friend used somewhat locally that does really good work from what I could tell from his car. I think I'd rather supply the material myself and tell them what I want and show them drawings rather than depend on some predefined pattern from katzkin or leatherseats.com

I ordered a sample of the Porsche Magenta leather along with some other color called "New Magenta" from a company, so we'll see what it looks like in person. If it looks even remotely like this old Porsche, I may throw up and change plans once again:

The color of the steering wheel makes my stomach sick. It's different from the dash leather, which looks a more pleasant shade. If that dash leather is the same color I ordered a sample of, there will still be lots of graphite/ebony in my car, so maybe it will work out. I'll have to see.

With the actual samples in my hand, I'll be able to get in my sister's Z28 and mom's SS and test the color against the interior plastics and see how it works. It's either going to clash with the graphite/ebony or it's going to compliment it.

I haven't looked into Alcantara (suede) yet because it is extremely expensive and holds moisture like cloth does. But I can't lie and say I don't like this shade of purple:

Unfortunately, I would be lying if I said I thought that shade of purple Alcantara would look good in a BPM Camaro. I think it would clash. :-\

Here's some of my inspiration pics:

Name:  DSC01111.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  36693000_sc6zQ-O.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  176.8 KB
Name:  DSC01107.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  142.2 KB
Take note that the last images are the '93 PPG Pace Car, and the color does not even come close to the same color as the exterior, and it looks badass. That's my biggest inspiration of all.

They used a darker, redder orange than the exterior paint and it looks great.

I can't go darker, because it would be like wasting $1000 on an interior that everybody thinks is actually still graphite colored, or even just plain black. I've found dark purple leather, and honestly, it just looks too close to black to me.

So my thought is to go to the next closest color on the color wheel, which is a magenta/raspberry/pink. We'll see in a week or so when my tiny samples show up.

Last edited by Brangeta; 08-19-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:51 PM

This is great! There's some '91-'93 Porsche 964 door panels on ebay! They took pics in different lighting, and I pretty much dig the color. Not sure how it'll look with the graphite/ebony/whatever plastic though.

The color is really pushing it... it's a little overwhelming... but we'll see when I get my samples if I can stomach it, or even love it.

To me, the Callaway Speedster looks awesome with the dull salmon color, so maybe the Magenta will work...?

Last edited by Brangeta; 08-19-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:20 PM

I'm not getting much feedback from you guys. What happened to all the guys with opinions?

Don't tell me I have to post this on LS1tech to get some input... I don't want to betray my favorite forum like that.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM

Go all black or all tan or combo black & tan. Purple / red wine
Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Well, I received my samples of everything I ordered from various companies yesterday and Friday, so I've been able to make some possible decisions.

I really, really like the Porsche Magenta leather. I haven't had an opportunity to take it out in to natural light inside my mom's SS to check how it looks in sunlight, but it looks great from what I can tell. I don't think it clashes. The "New Magenta" color on the right is a little too pink for me although they are almost exactly the same thing. The camera flash in the car pics really brings out the pink in it, which I don't really like.

Keep in mind I am not modifying a 35th Anniversary Edition. This is just to check whether the plastic color clashes with the leather colors.
Name:  IMG_6890.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  137.6 KB
Name:  IMG_6889.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  140.7 KB
Name:  IMG_6886.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  140.3 KB

Does anyone know if the plastic in an '02 is the same color as the plastic in a '97? I'm not really sure. I know the leather is ebony instead of dark gray, so that's a major difference, but the stock '97 leather would be removed anyway. I need to know if the plastic dash, center console, doors, etc. appears the same color as your '97 if you own a '97.

Based on the price of a hide of this Porsche leather from GAHH, (not Global Upholstery who is the company nice enough to send me the samples, yet does not have prices on their site), I might be limited to only using it as an accent color. ~$760 for one hide is very expensive compared to some other real leather options at ~$260 a hide.

I'm not excited by ANY of the carpet samples I received, they are all too red, so it looks like I'll be sticking with some sort of gray/charcoal replacement carpet. The headliner samples I received weren't too exciting, but if I'm going with the luxury/exotic sportscar theme, I would rather have a somewhat matching headliner than stick with the stock dark gray one. The sample below sort of matches the leather nicely.

Name:  IMG_6891.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  160.2 KB
Name:  IMG_6892.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  218.5 KB

I haven't found any place that has purple leather that will send me a sample, but I did get the neon purple (only purple carpet available) carpet sample from stockinteriors, and it's a disgusting color. I hate it. It reminds me of an easter egg. Here it is pictured with the purple colored Boltaflex I received (which is an okay color honestly, but I don't really want to put fake leather in my dream car).

Name:  IMG_6900.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  133.1 KB
Name:  IMG_6901.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  188.9 KB

The '69 Camaro Hot Wheels car is just there to represent Bright Purple Metallic. It's close enough.

Thoughts? Anyone's opinion change of the Porsche Magenta? I'll try to take some natural lighting pics later today.

Last edited by Brangeta; 08-23-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 AM

97-99 interior pieces were a lighter gray than 00-02.

Quick Reply: Interior idea poll