Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Installed Recaro seats, I have a seat belt issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:26 PM

Installed Recaro seats, I have a seat belt issue.

I drive a 2002 Z28, black leather.

I removed the OEM seats and installed a set of Recaro Style seats.

The OEM seats had a seat belt loop screwed to them which routed the belt over your shoulder.

The new seats have no provision for this and no place to mount the OEM plastic loop. Because of this the belt rides on my neck and besides being uncomfortable it could cause severe neck trauma in an accident. There is no way to move the plastic loop over, which is held in place by two screws, because the new seats are nothing but foam. nothing hard to mount to.

Surely I'm not the first person with this problem. Is there a solution for me? Thank you.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:31 PM

Every person I know who got those types of seats just got a harness type seat belt.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:32 PM

This seat doesn't even have holes for that. I also don't have a roll bar. These are more touring seats than racing seats.

http://home.attbi.com/~bartlane/seat.jpg
Old 05-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1COOLPC
This seat doesn't even have holes for that. I also don't have a roll bar. These are more touring seats than racing seats.

http://home.attbi.com/~bartlane/seat.jpg
Always plan ahead
Old 05-13-2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by SloMofo
Always plan ahead
I wish I was that smart. Sort of an unforeseeable problem on my level of thinking.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:17 PM

COOLEST SEATS EVER!!!

How about taking the plastic thing and the seat, and go to an upholstery guy? Maybe he can "drill" the plastic thing into the seat?
Old 05-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

i had the same problem........then i came up with the master plan i mean it took a while to do it

its custom

DONT PUT YOUR SEAT BELT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

thats what i do.....or dont do

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE.......

but i think wearing race harnesses is illegal

u can probably make something that u can mount to the car that makes the seat belt come out more
Old 05-13-2003, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the help everybody. I came up with a good solution. Here are the installed photos.

:cheers: I know my car is dirty. Needs a bath and a vacuum badly. Going to do that soon.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:04 AM

You didn't drill into those did you? It is a pain to get the seatbelts not to decapitate you, especially without the harness slots. I believe Steve2000SS has them on his, you could ask him how he did them. I finally bought my 5pt harness today to run through my Sparcos. But I have a cage.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by MadKilla
You didn't drill into those did you? It is a pain to get the seatbelts not to decapitate you, especially without the harness slots. I believe Steve2000SS has them on his, you could ask him how he did them. I finally bought my 5pt harness today to run through my Sparcos. But I have a cage.
All fixed with no permanent alterations to the seats. They work great. See the post directly above yours for installed photos.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:19 AM

Hey 1coolpc,

Can you post pic on exactly how you're mounting the loop? I'm guessing you fabricate something that goes arount the headrest or something? I anticitpate the same problem when I get my new seats.

Thanks!

Aria
Old 05-15-2003, 05:26 PM

Here are a couple shots of the bracket I made. It was 1" wide steel and I had to bend it in a vice. Very sturdy. I covered them in black cloth tape but you can't see them regardless. They stay fast in place because my measurements were tight. Even if you pull up the head rest (For taller people.) the belt bracket will rise up with it, staying fast directly under the rest. This will raise the shoulder point for taller drivers as it should be. If you notice I cut a notch on each side of the bracket instead of two on one side. This makes a sturdy locking mechanism should the belt be pulled forward as in an accident. Any other way could turn that flat piece of steel into a knife being pulled forward. Make sure you make your notches like mine. When you tug forward on the belt the bar can not move no matter what.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bartlane66/bracket1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~bartlane66/bracket2.jpg
Old 05-15-2003, 05:45 PM

Nice customizing. I am amazed sometimes at the simplicity of things that work so well. Wish I could think of things like that.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:57 PM

Thumbs up

Many thanks! That helps a lot.

I wonder if the Mitsubishi Evo 8 has a belt guide. I was looking at pictures of sports cars, and I could've sworn a couple don't have the guides...

Thanks again for the pix!

Aria
Old 05-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Banned

your lucky cuz those seats have a removable headrest....some dont and it is harder to fabricate something

but nice work nonetheless

Quick Reply: Installed Recaro seats, I have a seat belt issue.