Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Install switch for neons

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM

Question Install switch for neons

I'm installing a switch for my 2 neons so they have a nice clean looking install (instead of them being plugged into the cigarette lighter). I have made a schematic of how I think it needs to be hooked up. It's posted on the top of my webpage. Does this look right?

Also, I'm installing the switch in the ashtray. Anybody have any idea on how to make a small panel to fit in there?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:16 PM

When I installed my switch, I just pulled out the ash tray and drilled a hole for the switch to fit through and then attached the switch. Pretty easy.

As for wiring, I'm not very good at it so someone else will probably chime in and help ya. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:19 AM

Pic is in the sig somewhere....I also got a switch in the ashtray. It wasnt too hard. When you wire it up, just run the power wires to one lead on the switch, and then run your power source to the other lead, and make all your grounds. Thats all you gotta do.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by The Captain
Pic is in the sig somewhere....I also got a switch in the ashtray. It wasnt too hard. When you wire it up, just run the power wires to one lead on the switch, and then run your power source to the other lead, and make all your grounds. Thats all you gotta do.
I've read that I need an in-line fuse. Looking at the diagram on my webpage, is this the right spot?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Heh, I have my manual fan switch right below the cig lighter input, my underdash neons switch concealed in the ash tray area & my ac vent neons switch in a nice custom switch box that I made in the tape holder spot of my center console. There's room for about 4 more switches in my box too.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by SloMofo
Heh, I have my manual fan switch right below the cig lighter input, my underdash neons switch concealed in the ash tray area & my ac vent neons switch in a nice custom switch box that I made in the tape holder spot of my center console. There's room for about 4 more switches in my box too.
Although that doesn't really help me. I'm intrigued by the "ac vent neons". I've seen a couple Camaros with LEDs . How did you wire it? How are they mounted? How big? etc.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:28 PM

I just got my underdash neons today. I mounted one perfectly under the passanger side footwell and I am having trouble mounting one under the drivers side because of the pedals. Also I haven't wired them up yet(because it's to dark out) I heard that somebody tried doing this and they cut the cigarette lighteradapter off and now it doesn't work. Would this happen? Thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Bom2000
I just got my underdash neons today. I mounted one perfectly under the passanger side footwell and I am having trouble mounting one under the drivers side because of the pedals. Also I haven't wired them up yet(because it's to dark out) I heard that somebody tried doing this and they cut the cigarette lighteradapter off and now it doesn't work. Would this happen? Thanks
I mounted the driver's side right in front of the pedals.

Check out my diagram on my webpage. I think that's how it's wired. Can someone give me some input?
Old 08-05-2003, 12:33 AM

the inline fuse should go from the power source to the switch. On mine, I have a wire connected to my windshield wiper fuse, then from there, a wire running to one lead on the switch, with an inline fuse on it, then the neons on the other lead of the switch.

EDIT***
that diagram looks right. The only reason your switch would have a ground on it is if it is a light up switch. Other than that, everything is right. by the way, did you use "electronics workbench" to make that? just curious, cuz those symbols look like the ones on that program.

Last edited by The Captain; 08-05-2003 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BradleyPeart
Although that doesn't really help me. I'm intrigued by the "ac vent neons". I've seen a couple Camaros with LEDs . How did you wire it? How are they mounted? How big? etc.
I used the lite glow LED "screw lights"

I screwed them in behind the vents & ran all the wires to the switch box in the cassette storage area. They are not big at all. I think it looks good
Old 08-05-2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by The Captain
the inline fuse should go from the power source to the switch. On mine, I have a wire connected to my windshield wiper fuse, then from there, a wire running to one lead on the switch, with an inline fuse on it, then the neons on the other lead of the switch.

EDIT***
that diagram looks right. The only reason your switch would have a ground on it is if it is a light up switch. Other than that, everything is right. by the way, did you use "electronics workbench" to make that? just curious, cuz those symbols look like the ones on that program.
Close, I used circuit maker. I couldn't fing a light symbol, so I used a resistor.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by SloMofo

hey how did you make the switch box for the tape holder? ive been wanting to do this for a while and havent figured out a good way to do it
thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 01:07 AM

isnt is funny how most posters are v6??