Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How do I remove my seat belts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:33 PM

How do I remove my seat belts?

I just purchased a Wolfe roll bar from raging motorsports and now I'm trying to install my Crow 5pt harnesses. How do I remove my factory seat belts? I noticed that the bolt for the seat belt has a large star. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Administrator

The "star" is a Torx T-47. You can get by with a T-50 if you already have one, but it might need to be tapped into the bolt with a hammer. Getting the shoulder harness anchor out of the roof is a bit more difficult. The headliner has to be pulled down, but I think the mount uses conventional hex-head bolts... too long ago hard to remember. Just be sure to remove it before the roll bar hoop is installed, or you may have a problem getting the headliner far enough from the roof.

Are the Crow harnesses "DOT" certified? If they aren't you might have a problem if your car requires periodic safety inspection. Many racing harnesses are not DOT certified and technically not a legal replacement for the factory seat belt/shoulder harness.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:48 PM

Injuneer - Thanks man. That really helped. I removed the entire seatbelt but ran into some difficulty doing it. Mostly, I had difficulty trying not to damage the roofing. Other than that, it came out sweet. The "star" bolts didn't fit in my Crow harness. I'm going to replace the "star" bolts with some other bolts. By the way, the Crow harnesses are not D.O.T. certified. However, I'd rather risk getting a ticket around the city than get into an accident with the factory seatbelt. What do you think? Do you think the 5pt harness is much safer than the factory seat belt?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Administrator

I think my dual Simpson Camlock 5-point harnesses and custom 6-point chrome moly roll bar is a much better combo than the stock seat belts and airbags, both of which seem to have disappeared from my car . But my car is seldom driven on the street. I figure if a cop wanted to give me a hard time about the seat belts not being DOT certified, maybe he'd overlook the open headers and slicks.......

The 5-point is most effective if you install it per NHRA rules, which means the shoulder straps should not be mounted more than 4" below the shoulder line, and the crotch strap should be anchored behind the spine line... sort of hard to do with stock seats.

I had the same issues with the stock bolts, and could not find a general purpose bolt that would fit the threads in the floor pan. I just carefully opened up the holes in the mounting brackets so they would fit on the bolt shoulders.

harness-roll bar-seat
Old 08-07-2003, 07:44 PM

OMG that's a clean setup you have in your car. I really like the way you kept the interior clean? Like you said, you really don't drive the car that often on the street. your signature says that you might not reply to all the emails/pms sent to you, but I think you're great with at responding. I sure would like to see your car. Where are you located?

I'm going to do what you did and open up the holes on the mounting brackets. That will save me a lot of time.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! I figure no matter what I do with the car, it will never look sloppy... couldn't stand it, even is it is only a "track" car. Of course it won't have any neons, indiglos, biplane spoilers, etc, either. .

I bought the car new in Pasadena, CA. In 95, I had it shipped to NJ. Still there, in East Brunswick.