Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Hood Inlets

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 PM

Hood Inlets

correct me if I am wrong but on my 96 Z28 and 97 RS on the hood I have the two "inlets" some people call them "nostrils" but although they are there they are just blocked off with a stupid rubber thing that makes it "look" like it actually has a grill or something. It is so annoying to me.

Some people say opening that up will make little to no difference if not make performance worse. I just wanted to see if anyone here has ever cut the opening out or did any kind of mod to it to make it look legit and or help with performance in any way

FYI- Im talking about the ones on the hood in the picture for the link below.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-co...6-2012-022.jpg

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Re: Hood Inlets

If you opened them up, they would probably dump water directly on the engine and PCM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Well i understand that much but isnt there a way of allowing air in/out without letting water in? I.e. the evo 8. Not to mention I live in las vegas it rains like 4 times a year anyway lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM

The issue is where they are placed. So no cooler air is drawn through the bay. The air will just enter and abruptly stop since at back of bay.

You will see no cooling improvment with them. And like said water will be entering the back of engine bay. And dump water onto pcm.

Even the actual ram air style hoods. Have a lip to keep water from dumping in.

Last edited by MeanTA; 07-14-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM

Oh ok got ya. Thanks!

How lame though. I hate it when there is something that serves no function. This may be a dumb wuestion but has anyone ever designed something to re route the air from those to the CAI? Most people will say that the air is cooler closer to the ground but not in vegas. The asphalt gets hot enough to fry eggs. The closer to the ground you get the hotter it is.

Last edited by chevyfanboy; 07-14-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by chevyfanboy
Oh ok got ya. Thanks!

How lame though. I hate it when there is something that serves no function. This may be a dumb wuestion but has anyone ever designed something to re route the air from those to the CAI? Most people will say that the air is cooler closer to the ground but not in vegas. The asphalt gets hot enough to fry eggs. The closer to the ground you get the hotter it is.
Not enough air would enter them. Along with all the bends, and passing overs the manifold/headers. It would be a waste time to do.

Only real option is a ultra Z or SS hood with a box. Other then that CAI.

Sorry man the LT cars really limit out iintake options
Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Lame. Oh well thanks for the input. Ive been thinking about the SS hood for quite a while. Might just have to quit being cheap and just buy one. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Even the factory 96/97 SS hood has a complicated air flow, with the air making a 270-degree turn through the ducting, which, along with the airbox is sitting directly on top of the hot engine, picking up heat. SLP used to make a WS6 style ram air hood (single opening, not two) for the Z28 with the scoop at the leading edge, and using the WS6 airbox. I think it was called the "Ultra Z". Since SLP has pretty much abandoned the 4th Gens, there must be someone else making a replica of the hood.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=3908

Even the factory WS6 hoods have a complicated set of two baffles that force the air to turn 90-degrees down right after the air enters the nostrils, then makes a 180-degree turn at the bottom of the front baffle to drop the water out, and another 90-degree turn as the air come up over the rear baffle and turns toward the airbox. I've removed the baffles completely, but that's not good for a street driven car..... works great at the track. Previously I had cut back the bottom of the front baffle, and the top of the rear baffle, and straightened the air flow out a bit, while still having the water drop out.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:26 AM

you can do it

Fake Hood Scoop? - LS1TECH
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM

I have wanted to do that myself. i hate the fake hood scoops. I'd rather have a flat hood then pretend to be fast. Seems like any air flow in there would help with underhood temps a little. Its on my to do list for one day.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM

@fbodyrs96 ... thanks for the link to the thread that is exactly what i was looking for im still waiting to order my new hood but i think i might do the little mod just to see how it is. there are rows and rows of 4th gens at my local salvage yard so im going to get a set of inlets just to cut them and see how it works. all that talk in the thread about it lowering temps. I want to see for myself lol.

@Injuneer... I always see your signature about your website, it used to say it will be back in a few weeks, now it says ... "some day" I own a server and I host multiple websites as it is. If you need it I can set aside a some space for you if you need your site hosted.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM

I couldn't see the pics on the link to the ls site if someone could post them here that'd be cool.

avid member of LTxtech.com for lt1/lt4 enthusiast...&
HRFbody.com for F body fanatics in the Hampton Roads Virginia area!!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SMok3 Em A11
I couldn't see the pics on the link to the ls site if someone could post them here that'd be cool.
look through a few pages i think around page 5 or so people start posting pics of their own mods of it.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:33 AM

I like this idea of opening the fake hood scoops as well. I do not drive my Z in bad weather at all so rain isn't an issue with me. I like the idea of allowing heat to escape the engine bay. An old school method I have used for years on many vehicles is to remove the rear hood seal on the cowl which creates a gap with the seal removed that allows underhood heat to be removed while moving or sitting. I also remove hood insulator as it is no more than to keep engine noise from being heard in my opinion. Anyone have some good pics?