Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

HIDs or sylvania silverstars?

Old 12-28-2002, 04:19 AM

HIDs or sylvania silverstars?

howdy all, i'm trying to decide on whether to get an HID kit or sylvania silverstars? what would you guys do? should i get the sylvania silverstars and use more on mods, etc. or get the HIDs? the hid kit costs $500 compared to about $40 a pair for the silverstars. any of you guys have the silverstars? how are they? any info would be great, thanks? is there a big difference between the hids and the silverstars? thanks
-ben
Old 12-28-2002, 11:01 AM

Lightbulb

There was a thread about this topic about a month or so ago in the appearance section.....try a search.

P.S. I'm considering doing the Silverstar conversion.....if I don't like it, oh well only 40 bucks or so lost.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:29 PM

They're LIGHTS, heh...

personally I'd rather spend $500 on head porting, etc, etc...

If you have the extra money just sitting there at your disposal, go for it... but damn, a pair of brighter lights is NOT my idea of something to save up for and look forward to.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Classic Tech Moderator

They're not as bright as regular, untinted halogen bulbs. As soon as you add a blue tint to the bulb, you reduce the ammount of light being emitted from the bulb.

The sylvania web site claims the blubs are 20% brighter than other halogen bulbs... But which bulbs? bulbs with a heavier tint? Poor quality no name bulbs? Being that Sylvania doesn't claim that the blue bulbs are brighter than their clear bulbs, I'd be very suprised if the blue bulbs are as bright as the clear ones.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:19 PM

thanks for all the help guys....i'm probably gonna go with the silverstars and spend the money i save on mods...seems logical
-ben
Old 12-28-2002, 02:43 PM

Depends on what your priorities are. If you are on a budget and speed is your main concern, then go with the silverstars. If you are goin for the show look, then get hid's. Just dont expect to get an hid look from silverstars, because there is no comparison between the two.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Erik
They're not as bright as regular, untinted halogen bulbs. As soon as you add a blue tint to the bulb, you reduce the ammount of light being emitted from the bulb.

The sylvania web site claims the blubs are 20% brighter than other halogen bulbs... But which bulbs? bulbs with a heavier tint? Poor quality no name bulbs? Being that Sylvania doesn't claim that the blue bulbs are brighter than their clear bulbs, I'd be very suprised if the blue bulbs are as bright as the clear ones.
i dont know if the silverstars are tinted. they might be but i think ur talkin about the blue series of bulbs sylvania has. cool blue i think there called. these would probable drain out the light but silver stars shine white. the probable have some blue to drain out the other colors but these ones are not ment to look blue if u didnt know that. that would be the cool blue series.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:03 AM

US-spec silverstar bulbs are tinted, the european ones are clear and would actually be an improvement if you could find them.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jason Novak
US-spec silverstar bulbs are tinted, the european ones are clear and would actually be an improvement if you could find them.
save cahs and get regular

hey jason novak.....just out of curiosity are you czech????
Old 12-29-2002, 11:37 AM

I think the name comes from there way back when
Old 12-29-2002, 06:03 PM

HID's
Old 12-29-2002, 07:53 PM

i put the silverstars they made a defference good enuff for me.. 40 is a hell of alot better then 300-1200 for h.i.d
Old 12-29-2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by naztyz28
i put the silverstars they made a defference good enuff for me.. 40 is a hell of alot better then 300-1200 for h.i.d
Especially considering you won't even be getting a complete HID set-up for that price is there are none for our cars.

IBballastsandbulbsthatscatterlightaresameasBMW
Old 12-29-2002, 08:52 PM

hid4less and tybrne sell hid for our cars
Old 12-29-2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by White30th
Depends on what your priorities are. If you are on a budget and speed is your main concern, then go with the silverstars. If you are goin for the show look, then get hid's. Just dont expect to get an hid look from silverstars, because there is no comparison between the two.
yea defenetly...if u got thhe money...get the H.I.D's, cause nothing can compare to those exactly...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HIDs or sylvania silverstars?