Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Help me research: 1999 Fern Green Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 AM

Help me research: 1999 Fern Green Metallic

According to a lot of info online, a new color was available for 1999 Camaros called Fern Green Metallic. I'm no expert on colors I don't have a personal interest in, so I'm kind of like... Wait. What?????

I've never heard this information before, but it's listed on many websites.

I've read that the GM paint code is supposed to be 36. This can't be right, because 36 is something called Medium Dark Teal Metallic (may not be the exact GM name, because it is more of a description). And I wouldn't think a fern

would be medium dark teal metallic. I'm not exactly a pro at looking up paint colors though, I normally just have the information I have, and... have it. This bothers me though.

It was obviously not a color that made it to production, but I know next to nothing about it.

Any ideas green fans?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Thought the green in 99 was Bright Green Metallic or was that just 98?

Have you looked in the Camaro White Book?

You have me curious now for sure.

edit: here's the link from Camaro Source on colors - shows BGM, not FGM...
http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camar...trim&year=1999

Last edited by niknik; 03-13-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Yeah, BGM is the color that was actually used and carried into 1999.

But a LOT of sites show Fern Green Metallic being introduced in 1999. Even Camarosource does on their main page for 1999 in the 'changes' category or whatever. Very weird.

Trying to figure out this mystery.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

I can't say I've ever heard of that color, man. I know the bright green metallic, and have seen it on a couple of cars around here, but fern green metallic is a new one on me.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 PM

This is supposedly Fern Green. Doesn't look like a fern at all...

It's a BMW color, so fat lot of good that does me. I can't find a GM car in this supposed "fern green" metallic.

The problem with a lot of sites is that they'll accidentally spread lies/BS by copy and pasting content from other sites without questioning it. I sometimes have to do this too to verify and/or get my info I save, but man... I just ran into another one.

For 1999... on CamaroWiki...
Hugger Orange, Bright Blue Metallic, Light Pewter Metallic, Dark Amethyst Metallic, and Fern Green Metallic added.
Bulllllll. Somebody made up a name here, because in 1999 Monterey Maroon Metallic was introduced. A lot of sites have this incorrect information...

The Fern Green still has no correlation though. There weren't any greens added for 1999 that could be confused for this. There was a 1999 Chevy Venture color called Fernmist Green Metallic (paint code 31), and there was a 1999 Chevy Cavalier color that matches the paint code for this imaginary Fern Green metallic of 36, and it's name is Medium Green Metallic.

Which is apparently this color:

or this one...

I don't know Cavaliers, so it's one or the other. There was another '99 Cavalier green called Green Metallic (paint code 37), so these should represent both of them. Which is which is a mystery.

The above mentioned Chevy Venture color is this... I think:

There was a GM paint code 36 called Spring Green metallic, but the likelihood of a color from the 1970s being the same GM paint code in the 1990s is actually kind of low. Normally GM recycles paint codes as far as I know, because most if not all are only 2 digits.
http://www.chevellestuff.com/1972/paint.htm

If you click through that link and see the Chevelle pic, it looks almost exactly the same color as Bright Green Metallic, so perhaps the mystery is solved... why Fern Green Metallic is listed as being introduced, and Bright Green Metallic continued for 1999 is still a mystery.

For 1999, colors from the '69 Camaro were brought back. Hugger Orange, Bright Blue based on Lemans Blue I suppose, etc. If we have a '69 Camaro fan here, please show me a site that shows all the paint colors if you can. I'd be interested in seeing if there's a green that would correlate with Fern Green being a '69 color.

Last edited by Brangeta; 03-13-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM

See, I thought camarosource was a pretty good site to look for info like that. I'm definitely going to flip through the whitebook tonight and compare with their information...

Fwiw, looks like maybe Rally Green would be kinda like BGM, just not metallic.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM

You know what's funny? I've never brought it up, but I don't own the Camaro Whitebook. I've always gotten my information the hard way.

Apparently I like wasting my time.

It'd be great if you could look it up though. This isn't a subject I'm enjoying bothering me.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
If we have a '69 Camaro fan here, please show me a site that shows all the paint colors if you can. I'd be interested in seeing if there's a green that would correlate with Fern Green being a '69 color.
Was there not a color chart in any of that info I sent you? I was thinking there was, but I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to look. I know I have all of the info ever produced for Camaros around here somewhere, I just have to find it. I might see what I can dig up this weekend.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM

No, I don't think there was a color chart. I don't think at least!

You need to turn your away message off on AIM sometime. You're never at the computer I'm guessing.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 PM

No, I don't think there was a color chart. I don't think at least!

You need to turn your away message off on AIM sometime. You're never at the computer I'm guessing.
I'm almost always on from around 10 or 11pm till 3 or 4 am (EST of course). I typically come home from work and sit here and read and don't want some of the douches on my buddy list bothering me. Just try and shoot a message and if I'm there, I'll answer.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 AM

ok - here are the greens listed in the Camaro White Book for 69...
Fathom Green ( code 57)
Frost Green (code 59)
Rallye Green (code 79)

for 99 it states New Exterior colors were Light Pewter Metallic (code 11), Bright Blue Metallic (code 20) and Hugger Orange (code 99)
No mention of a Fern Green. It does show only 217 Camaros were made in Bright Green Metallic (code 31).

No 4th gen had a paint code of 36...
But here's a little history of that code being used on Camaros...
1972 - Spring Green
1974- Aqua Blue
1976 & 77 - Firethorn

Don't feel like doing now (I need coffee and breakfast)... but if you don't get to it, I'll see what images I can find with these colors... Unfortunately the Camaro White Book is in black and white and doesn't offer a color chart for comparison.

**All information is from the Camaro White Book

On a side note code 88 was only used for BPM cars.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Thanks niknik! No need for pics! Thanks!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 AM

Yeah, BGM is the color that was actually used and carried into 1999.

But a LOT of sites show Fern Green Metallic being introduced in 1999. Even Camarosource does on their main page for 1999 in the 'changes' category or whatever. Very weird.

Trying to figure out this mystery.
You are indeed correct and we have fixed this on our new website. One of our brochures had this stated in the list of colors. But after much research it seems this is incorrect. Thanks for pointing out this error.

Paul