Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Has anybody ever "shaved & smoothed" anything on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Has anybody ever "shaved & smoothed" anything on their car?

I've got my engine bay (almost) stripped down to sheetmetal. With all the changes I've made to the original setup, I'm going to have alot of unused bolt holes, (along with all the other holes which don't serve any apparent function), under the hood. I'd like to be able to fill them all in. Also, you know the thick gauge of metal that wraps over the top of each inner fenderwell which acts as reinforcement for the upper shock towers? I've always wanted to try using some type've filler around the perimeter of them and sand it all down smooth so that the whole inner fenderwell looks like it is one solid piece.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what kind've products/materials I should look at to attempt this? Durability is priority #1: I think that pretty much rules out bondo. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

TIA
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 AM

For the bolt holes, you're probably gonna want to weld. As far as bondo, ain't nuthin wrong with it as long as you use it right, but any filler will probably do ya. Btw, found out not long ago that better stuff is cheaper at your local jobber then the cheap stuff is at autozone, so check your prices before you buy... I mean like five dollars cheaper.
Check out autobody101.com. Lots of good info there.
Project sounds fun man. Lemme know how it goes.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 AM

bondo shouldn't be used to fill holes, it should be used over welded metal to smooth out any imperfections
Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I've got my engine bay (almost) stripped down to sheetmetal. With all the changes I've made to the original setup, I'm going to have alot of unused bolt holes, (along with all the other holes which don't serve any apparent function), under the hood. I'd like to be able to fill them all in. Also, you know the thick gauge of metal that wraps over the top of each inner fenderwell which acts as reinforcement for the upper shock towers? I've always wanted to try using some type've filler around the perimeter of them and sand it all down smooth so that the whole inner fenderwell looks like it is one solid piece.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what kind've products/materials I should look at to attempt this? Durability is priority #1: I think that pretty much rules out bondo. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

It has been done, see my car's pics...What we did was weld all of the unused holes, (then filled lightly with bondo) and made patch panels for any other place that was too "open". As far as the shock towers go, we used a paste (I will have to ask my painter) that filled it it in, and then they sanded it smooth. Looks very clean. We then painted the entire underside of the car and the engine compartment. I also re-routed all of the fuel lines and wiring, none is visable now.