Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by pu12en12g
Well, I have some true 100w H7's right here... I wish I knew the Lumens output tho
Yeah, that would be interesting to know. I guess at the same wattage the H9 and H7 would be pretty close, the efficiency (lumen/W) is pretty close. So I guess the only advantage of the H9 is that it is geometrically the same as a D2S HID bulb, making a HID conversion a little easier if you wanted to go that way.

You have Hella FF75's right? I am about to put the high beam 90mm housings in (got them Monday). Now that I am on a roll, I am thinking about also replacing the fog lamps with a better driving light. I am thinking of the FF75 (or FF50, I don't remember which one fits on there ) to do that.

BTW, I guess most fo the people on this board think that their lights are crap, this thread already has over 600 views!!!

Sam
Old 01-03-2003, 07:53 AM

Will the H9s fit in the FF75 housings? What kind of wiring would be needed...H9 wiring harness? Where would I find one?
Old 01-03-2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by silver97Z
Will the H9s fit in the FF75 housings? What kind of wiring would be needed...H9 wiring harness? Where would I find one?
Can you explain why you would want to do that ?

- The H9 bulb is more expensive

- The H7's which fit right in the FF75 with no modification can put out the same wattage and / or lumen rating as the H9
Old 01-03-2003, 02:30 PM

Red face

- The H7's which fit right in the FF75 with no modification can put out the same wattage and / or lumen rating as the H9
I did not know that...I'll just stick with H7s then. I just don't want to have to really mess with the wiring but would like to bump up the wattage...eventually I'd like to be able to run 100w bulbs but right now I don't know enough about the wiring to do that yet.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 01-03-2003, 05:15 PM

How about a 360 Modena-ish headlight cover? Not quite similar enough to look ricey or like we're pretending to be something we aren't (ala vette taillights), but enough to make those cheap-looking headlights look more threatening\classy.

If both this and Whistler's rear panel are actually made, then we'll have come a long way in the department of FBody appearance mods.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 AM

Are any of the fabricator guys reading this thread? I think it'd be real cool to get rid of the crap headlights and have something different to mount them in.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by superal
Are any of the fabricator guys reading this thread? I think it'd be real cool to get rid of the crap headlights and have something different to mount them in.

Here's a few headlight sites:
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/
http://www.lighting.philips.com/foru...i?maxmesgs=200
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/216460?it=0
Old 01-05-2003, 09:05 PM

I posted some pics of the high beams, just installed them today. It was actually about the same effort to install those, compared to the lows. I thought it would be easier because of more room available and the lights being smaller. But the fact that it's smaller makes that the bulb connector in the back is just in the opening in the frame, so I had to grind a lot of plastic away to amke room for the connector. (luckily I got a Dremel kit for Christmas ) Now I have to see how they light up the road!

Pics

Sam
Old 01-05-2003, 09:17 PM

WOW ! !

Sam,

I just gotta say, that looks 100% improved now with the high beams in place...

Also, it ROCKS that you are taking alot of HIGH quality photos and sharing them man ! ! It makes it ALOT easier for those of us considering this mod.

Anyways, I wish more people took great photos of their installs like that ! !

- pt
Old 01-06-2003, 11:45 AM

WOW ! !

Sam,

I just gotta say, that looks 100% improved now with the high beams in place...

Also, it ROCKS that you are taking alot of HIGH quality photos and sharing them man ! ! It makes it ALOT easier for those of us considering this mod.

Anyways, I wish more people took great photos of their installs like that ! !

- pt
Yeah, I think this does a lot better with all of them round! The car looks especially good from a little further away now! I still think I will put some kind of plate with round holes over it at some point to hide that space back there a little bit.

When I was doing the low beams, I did not take any pics during the install because (as far as I knew then) nobody else had ever put these lights on, so I was just trying to fit them. Then I took some pics afterwards and I remember pretty good what I did because it wasn't that much that needed to be modified. Now with the high beams, I didn't make that mistake and took some pics during the install, now I gotta put some words to describe the whole procedure. Also worth noting is that the mounting frame that needs to be filed to fit the lights is REALLY easy to do with a hand file, it's pretty soft actually. I got a Dremel kit for Christmas that I used for the high beams, and that worked even faster, went through there like butter

Hopefully, I can find some time to write some to put with the pics soon!

Sam
Old 01-09-2003, 08:39 PM

OK guys, Im gonna take all this info and call up my light shop tomorrow and see if they can get it all for me. Wish me luck.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:20 PM

So are the golden metal things just sticking out like that, or have you not screwed them in yet. It looks like there are 2 screws in the low beams and 3 screws in the highs. Is that correct??
And that link to the shop, did you buy em there? I guess that was the kit for the focus, but looks FANTASTICALLY GREAT.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Team Untouchable
So are the golden metal things just sticking out like that, or have you not screwed them in yet. It looks like there are 2 screws in the low beams and 3 screws in the highs. Is that correct??
And that link to the shop, did you buy em there? I guess that was the kit for the focus, but looks FANTASTICALLY GREAT.
The golden things are the mounting/adjustment screws. The housings are mounted with them and serve as adjustment screws at the same time. They supply a little plug that holds in a hole that you drill in a flat plate much like an anchor to hang something on the wall. The screw then "clicks" in that plug and that's it, sits tight! There are 3 screws on each light, I did two on the bottom and one on the top, because those were the places where I could drill a hole in the headlight bracket. That way you use the bottom screws for left/right adjustment and the top screw for height adjustment.

I bought my lights from Susquehanna Motorsports in PA. The lights are called "90mm low/high beam module for custom applications"

If you need more info, just post back here or send an email!

HTH

Sam

Last edited by Sam95ZNoTop; 01-09-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:13 PM

Just an update: I took a pic during the day of the front of the car, so you guys can see what the front of the car looks like now that I have all 4 lights on.

Front

Sam
Old 01-14-2003, 02:01 AM

Sam has put so much time into this thread and helping out everyone posting here, that we first need to give him a big Thank You, and a roundapplause :clappingsmilie:. So thanks Sam.
Im mailing you cuz I got just a couple more questions.

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)