Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by pu12en12g
'...and I think Puma (800) 333-7862 is the only one "gray" importing H7 Hella 90mm to USA."
, okay. I wasn't asking Puma, I was asking you, since you had all the part numbers etc.

But thanks anyway.

Last edited by Bawls; 12-31-2002 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Sam95ZNoTop
Just keep in mind that the H7 produces 20-25% LESS light than the H9, but still more than your stock selaed beams

Sam
Would that be with the bulbs that are included, or any bulbs in general ?

What is it that makes the H9 bulb 25% brighter than the H7's ?

Just curious... that doesn't seem to add up...
Old 12-31-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Bawls
, okay. I wasn't asking Puma, I was asking you, since you had all the part numbers etc.

But thanks anyway.
Sorry dude, I honestly don't know. I am still in the process of finding the lowest price myself. When I find a good supplier I'll let you know. (It was a different Paul that already has them installed, not me.. I have the Hella FF75's right now )

You could try their homepage if you are sure you need the H7's...

http://www.puma-access.com
Old 12-31-2002, 01:08 PM

what we need to do is start on a mold for around the headlights.
I have a friend here in indy that can carbon fiber it up as well.

I need to buy the lights first hah
Old 12-31-2002, 01:21 PM

Yeah I am thinking something similar to this, to surround the 90mm units and fill in the headlight area.

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owners/wsham/ws0002.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owners/wsham/ws0006.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owne...m/DSCN0004.JPG

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owne...m/DSCN0007.JPG

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owne...am/wilson6.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owne...am/wilson7.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owne...m/wilson21.jpg
Old 12-31-2002, 01:31 PM

Yea, I was looking at doing very similar, we've got all that headlight space to play with unlike those 98-02's
Old 12-31-2002, 02:00 PM

Yeah I am thinking something similar to this, to surround the 90mm units and fill in the headlight area.

Are you talking about filling the flat black area around the headlights and possibly moving them forward a little...LS1 style?
Old 12-31-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by silver97Z
Are you talking about filling the flat black area around the headlights and possibly moving them forward a little...LS1 style?
Hmmm not really LS1 style. Did you look at the links above ?...
Old 12-31-2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by silver97Z

No way...
Old 12-31-2002, 02:17 PM

I need to buy the lights first hah
I thought about this with the Piaa's. But given the space of the front end, unless you do something very clean and extensive to emulate the pics that pu12en12g just posted above, it will come out like an Integra to much. Provided you just mold around them to fill that back space and put no cover. .

If you tried placing a cover and then molding, you have other issues to consider. With the molding you have to deal with heat issues since you now have convers in front of the lights. With no room behind it or around the sides due to the "mold", you must evacuate that heat as well as keep whatever you use from being melted. Then if you have to alter mounting (such as moving the lights forward more), are you going to attach anything to the front bumper cover? If so, plan on having things anailated if you get in a fender bender enough to damage the cover. Then again, depending on the cover you use, will that impair lighting in terms of refracting and reduce lumen output to the road enough to defeat the mod in the first place.

Aiming is another issue to consider with any kind of molding or cover of the lights themselves. Is it going to take you 2 hours to change a bulb since you now have so many things to remove or take apart?

Yea, I was looking at doing very similar, we've got all that headlight space to play with unlike those 98-02's
Actually, the LS1 Camaro's have lots of potentials for headlight customization aside from what most people would consider. Although, I am not going to tell what that is just yet
Old 12-31-2002, 02:34 PM

Lightbulb

Hmmm not really LS1 style. Did you look at the links above ?...
Yeah I did, maybe the way I worded that wasn't really what I was trying to say...

Not really an LS1 style headlight, but more the way the LS1 lights fill the pocket that's present on the LT1s. That's one thing I like about the LS1 over the LT1, and I think filling that area a little would make a huge improvement in the way the front end of the LT1 looks.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Wraith
Then if you have to alter mounting (such as moving the lights forward more), are you going to attach anything to the front bumper cover? If so, plan on having things anailated if you get in a fender bender enough to damage the cover. Then again, depending on the cover you use, will that impair lighting in terms of refracting and reduce lumen output to the road enough to defeat the mod in the first place.
Great considerations...
The 90mm units themselves will still have to mount in the stock locations kind of like 95Zdroptop did. I like his setup, compared to pauls fabricated setup. The bumper as you know is too flexible to mount to. So.. the mold is the only thing that will be attached to the bumper/headlight area. Even that will be removable. It should clip in the front, and attach in the back. Carbon fiber would work great, but probably will not be cost effective.

The cover will be replaceable, at $30 that's not bad, and they actually tend to distribute the beam more evenly/wide. It will be sealed from the front, but not completely sealed from the bottom of the back. I am not sure how it will attach yet, but I will probably have to pop the hood to remove the clear cover.

I will check and see, because I don't know how hot HID's get, but with the alternative (high wattage bulbs), heat would be a concern most definately !
Old 12-31-2002, 02:42 PM

For those interested what the actual illumination looks like, I took 2 pics in my driveway, not a real road, but I think it gives a good impression of how well they light up the road, especially side-to-side evenness. (look at insidecar.jpg and outsidecar.jpg) The H9 bulbs are only 65W by the way, look what some god optics can do!

Beam Pictures

Sam
HOLY CRAP!! From looking at those 2 pics, these lights look about 100% better than the stockers!!

And that's with only 65w bulbs in place? That's an amazing difference!
Old 12-31-2002, 03:22 PM

Would that be with the bulbs that are included, or any bulbs in general ?

What is it that makes the H9 bulb 25% brighter than the H7's ?

Just curious... that doesn't seem to add up...
With H9 and H7 I was referring to the bulb itself. An H7 bulb produces 1500 lument at 12 V and an H9 bulb close to 1900 lumen at 12 V (at 14V i.e. engine running, the H9 will produce about 2600 lumen as compared to 3200 for a D2S HID bulb, not that much more for the HID!). The reason is that the H7 bulb is 55W and the H9 is 65W. I am not sure what exactly the differences are in the 90mm housings for both versions (except the shield as mentioned earlier), but they are probably pretty similar as far as optics go, they are probably just taking into account the different position of the filament.

Sam
Old 01-01-2003, 12:28 PM

With H9 and H7 I was referring to the bulb itself. An H7 bulb produces 1500 lument at 12 V and an H9 bulb close to 1900 lumen at 12 V (at 14V i.e. engine running, the H9 will produce about 2600 lumen as compared to 3200 for a D2S HID bulb, not that much more for the HID!). The reason is that the H7 bulb is 55W and the H9 is 65W. I am not sure what exactly the differences are in the 90mm housings for both versions (except the shield as mentioned earlier), but they are probably pretty similar as far as optics go, they are probably just taking into account the different position of the filament.

Sam
Well, I have some true 100w H7's right here... I wish I knew the Lumens output tho

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)