Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by My94RedZ28A4
How hot do the hellas get? I once spay painted plexiglas gloss black, and mounted a round Tachometer into a square A/C guage. It actually looked very nice, and if you flip the plexiglas backwards, it's scratch proof since the paint is on the back side.

Just a thought...
That sounds like good idea! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Oh, BTW, I have put some more pics up on that link I posted earlier. They show a little more on how I mounted them.

Sam

Last edited by Sam95ZNoTop; 12-27-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Sam95ZNoTop

I was thinking that after I fit the lights, I could always make some covers to hide things a bit. It will probably replace the flat horizontal part with something to fit the lights. Then you could put some clear covers over to finish the look.

Sam
Clear covers would REALLY help the appearance of them.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:40 PM

For those interested what the actual illumination looks like, I took 2 pics in my driveway, not a real road, but I think it gives a good impression of how well they light up the road, especially side-to-side evenness. (look at insidecar.jpg and outsidecar.jpg) The H9 bulbs are only 65W by the way, look what some god optics can do!

Beam Pictures

Sam

Last edited by Sam95ZNoTop; 12-30-2002 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:17 AM

That really does look good. I don't need the coolness factor of HID lighting, I just want something to see the road with and these look like they might work for me. You need a couple on the road pictures of the lights.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:46 AM

This is a great lighting mod. It seems like the beam would be more of a penic shape rather than an V type shape. So I cant get em at autozone, but can I get them from that site that is on the first page. And 125 aint that bad at all if I can figure out how to freaking put them in. And what do you know about our lighting harnesses. Will it be able to handle the power??
Old 12-31-2002, 12:49 AM

EDIT - Is it easy to aim these babies? Shoule it be kinda the same aim at the stock headlights. No one has these around SD so I would the the only one.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by superal
That really does look good. I don't need the coolness factor of HID lighting, I just want something to see the road with and these look like they might work for me. You need a couple on the road pictures of the lights.
Actually, even with the halogen bulbs, they look very white, almost whiter than the Philips BlueVision I had before. I will see if I can't take some better road pictures and post them here if I do!

I can write up some more detailed descriptions of what I did to fit them in if people are interested. Paul 94 Z M6 mounted them with a custom bracket. I wanted to be able to go back to the stock lighting if I wanted to, so I mounted them to the stock bracket without messing with the mounting points of the stock lights.

Sam
Old 12-31-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Team Untouchable
This is a great lighting mod. It seems like the beam would be more of a penic shape rather than an V type shape. So I cant get em at autozone, but can I get them from that site that is on the first page. And 125 aint that bad at all if I can figure out how to freaking put them in. And what do you know about our lighting harnesses. Will it be able to handle the power??

EDIT - Is it easy to aim these babies? Shoule it be kinda the same aim at the stock headlights. No one has these around SD so I would the the only one.
No, you can't get them at Autozone. But you can order them from Susquehanna Motorsports They are the 90mm for custom apps. I would advise you to also get a spare bulb, since you cannot get a bulb at Autozone either (for now at least...) I had to wait a couple of weeks for my low beams to get here, because apparently they sell like hot cakes and they had to get them from Germany. But it will tell you when you order if they are out of stock and you can just call them to see when they will have them. But who knows, maybe he still has some. BTW, I have not been able to find anybody else selling these.

The beam pattern is really a sharp flat horizontal cutoff line with a small offset in the middle (the right hand side is a little higher than the left side and there is a sloped part in the middle)

About mounting: I could write something up with some pics if you are interested.

The bulbs are only 65W, the same as your stock high beams, so that should not be a problem at all!

Aiming is VERY easy. If you look at the pics that I posted, you'll see that they are mounted with three screws that also enable you to do the adjustment. Almost easier than stock, because you can get your screwdriver on there!

Sam

Last edited by Sam95ZNoTop; 12-31-2002 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up

Sam, go ahead and make a writeup

Like I said on the other thread, its either Hella, or Piaa. (Since Piaa is only a couple more dollah's on ebay) But no one (Brent Franker) has posted his beam pics, just has install pics. I dunno which I would rather go with.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:50 AM

Here is a eclipse Hella 90mm conversion with alot of photos:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nloke1/FA...ehidretro.html
Old 12-31-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by pu12en12g
Here is a eclipse Hella 90mm conversion with alot of photos:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nloke1/FA...ehidretro.html
Don't trust the pics linked above to see what the H9 version (that Paul and I installed) beam pattern is. This guy actually used another version of the 90mm lights (with a different shield) and then modified the shield. You can see in the pics that he posted that the shield actually has a V-shape in it that he covered up with something to make a horizontal cutoff. The H9 version that you would get from Susquehanna has a shield that is composed of two horizontal parts which are at a slightly different height with a short, sloped part in the middle (as I described earlier). I suspect that the Eclipse has used the H7 version and retrofit it with a HID bulb that is not really meant for it. This causes the light source to be offset from where it is supposed to be (too deep in or to little in the reflector) and this changes the beam pattern. The H9 bulb has the filament in EXACTLY the same position as the light source of a D2S HID bulb (relative to the base). The only difference is the hole in the base plate to which the bulb mounts. It is therefore a LOT easier to get a good beam with a D2S bulb in the H9 housing because you only need to make sure the (bigger) hole is still concentric with the old.

Check this page for more info than you will ever want on headlamps, retrofitting HID in there etc. etc...

Hella 90mm and more

Sam
Old 12-31-2002, 12:17 PM

Yeah, bulbs for the H7 version would be ALOT less.

Here are the part numbers so that you can run H7 bulbs (vs. H9)

"Note that they use a 5 digit P/N here in North America, where in Europe they use a 12 digit one. Which means that if you look for the exact same H7 low beam projector, you should be asking for P/N 1BL-008-193-007. And I think Puma phone (800) 333-7862 is the only one "gray" importing H7 Hella 90mm to USA."

(SEE BELOW)

68136 90mm High Beam DE Module, H9 bulb
(SAE compliant)

68137 90mm Low Beam DE Module, H9 bulb
(SAE compliant)

68139 90mm Xenon Low Beam Module, D2S bulb
(SAE compliant)

68142 90mm Fog Lamp Module, H9 bulb
(SAE compliant)

68143 90mm Low Beam Module w/position light, H7 bulb
(ECE - available only in Canada)

EDIT: By the way ECE means EuroCode, which is very interesting in and of itself. A completely different cutoff/beam pattern design...
Old 12-31-2002, 12:23 PM

How much is:

?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Bawls
How much is:

?
'...and I think Puma (800) 333-7862 is the only one "gray" importing H7 Hella 90mm to USA."
Old 12-31-2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by pu12en12g
Yeah, bulbs for the H7 version would be ALOT less.

Here are the part numbers so that you can run H7 bulbs (vs. H9)

EDIT: By the way ECE means EuroCode, which is very interesting in and of itself. A completely different cutoff/beam pattern design...
Just keep in mind that the H7 produces 20-25% LESS light than the H9, but still more than your stock selaed beams

Sam

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)