Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Firebird door panels on Z...chickys95, some help plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 PM

Smile Firebird door panels on Z...chuckys95, some help plz

I'm in the middle of doing the conversion right now, but I ran into a few minor problems / differences not mentioned or maybe Chucky didn't have to deal with when he did his. I basically followed the info from his post on LS1.com
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=2

to do the install. First of all...i noticed that the color of my door panels don't exactly match the color of my charcoal grey interior. They off a '99 TA and the seller said they were ebony or charcoal gray...they looked pretty close until I installed them. The TA door panels were a little lighter...does the "ebony" match the stock Z's door panel color? I might just sell the ones I have and pick up another set that look closer if so.

Also, for one of the new holes (the one that is close to the door lever), there is about a 1" gap between the inside door skin and the door panel itself. Did anyone else have this problem? I made a temp spacer for it...but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I also noticed a little hole, with a part protruding out the backside, at the bottom center of the TA door panel. It looks like there should be a screw or body clip there, but it kinda keeps the bottom part of the door panel from sitting flush up against the metal.

The last 2 things are...i see that Chucky used the rubber gromets from the brackets he cut off the door skin. I was going to do this but, the second hole that goes slanted up that long shaft in the TA door panel, under the handle. So the screw goes into the door skin at an angle, so the gromets woudn't work the way they are in the pictures. And the final thing is, are all 3 mounting tabs cut off the inner door skin and are the TA doors held in place with all 3 of the screws from the Camaro door panel or just 2?

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate the help. Thanks

Last edited by Violat0rX; 06-08-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:17 AM

I know I'm not Chucky but I've done this mod as well and I'll do my best to help you out.
The door panels form the TA are darker than you stock interior. I have a custom leather interior so mine matches fine but you'll need to get door panels from a year that had the same color options as your Camaro.

Yes I have the space problems as you do. You'll just have to fabricate some spacers to keep the door panels straight. Just use the mounting points you cut off to make the door panels fit. I have a tig welder so I just cut them down to the size needed and welding them up.

If I'm reading your post correctly the bottom hole is for a screw and I just drilled and screwed it in with no problems. It was actually the easiest one for me.

You can reuse the gromets on pretty much all the holes but I can't say with confidence if you can use them there because I bought some from the hardware store.

You only HAVE to cut off two of the mounting tabs. The center one doesn't have to be cut off.

I hope this helps you out. For pictures of my install just click on one of the two links.

http://projectcamaro.com/walkthroughs.htm
http://projectcamaro.com/mycamaro.htm
Old 06-08-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by ProjectCamaro
I know I'm not Chucky but I've done this mod as well and I'll do my best to help you out.
The door panels form the TA are darker than you stock interior. I have a custom leather interior so mine matches fine but you'll need to get door panels from a year that had the same color options as your Camaro.

Yes I have the space problems as you do. You'll just have to fabricate some spacers to keep the door panels straight. Just use the mounting points you cut off to make the door panels fit. I have a tig welder so I just cut them down to the size needed and welding them up.

If I'm reading your post correctly the bottom hole is for a screw and I just drilled and screwed it in with no problems. It was actually the easiest one for me.

You can reuse the gromets on pretty much all the holes but I can't say with confidence if you can use them there because I bought some from the hardware store.

You only HAVE to cut off two of the mounting tabs. The center one doesn't have to be cut off.

I hope this helps you out. For pictures of my install just click on one of the two links.

http://projectcamaro.com/walkthroughs.htm
http://projectcamaro.com/mycamaro.htm

Man your site has come along way since last year!!!!! I think you left a message in my G-books so I'll compile all of my DYI stuff and submit it too. What size are your visor TV's? Are they pre-made tv visors or did you fit them in the OEM's? Thanks for the install instructions. I think I am going to switch my door panels over to TA versions too (they look waaaay better). I have a new thread where I'm making a fiberglass headliner (check it out) and I can give instructions for anyone thats wants to do the same.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:00 PM

Oh yea, Violatorx, I dont think he would like you callin him "chicky" lol lol, It's chucky. I think he had a few issues with the new TA panels also, but I can see where this mod is worth doing. Chucky's car is just so SICK!!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 04:48 PM

Mybad, it was a typo...funny that it happened to be in the subject. But i fixed it .

Project camaro: Thanx for your help man, i'll take a look at the site today. I'm going to finalize the install this weekend. THere was one other problem I forgot to mention: The end of the metal rod that locks and unlocks the door doesn't exactly line up with the slot for the plastic red/back piece that goes over it. The hook on the end extends too far foward when unlocked. To clarify...if I were able to snap the plastic tab back onto the metal rod, when the door is locked, the red part of the tab would be showing, and when it's unlocked, the end with the hook would have to extend past the slot and back behind the bezel. I'll take a look at it again this weekend, and maybe get some pictures up if i can't solve the problem.

As for the colors, the TA door panels I have are actually lighter than my stock ones. Do you know what year TA's and Firebirds had the same charcoal gray inteior as a 96 Camaro?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by stangkilla1
Man your site has come along way since last year!!!!! I think you left a message in my G-books so I'll compile all of my DYI stuff and submit it too. What size are your visor TV's? Are they pre-made tv visors or did you fit them in the OEM's? Thanks for the install instructions. I think I am going to switch my door panels over to TA versions too (they look waaaay better). I have a new thread where I'm making a fiberglass headliner (check it out) and I can give instructions for anyone thats wants to do the same.
Thanks but wait a month. I hired a software engineer to completely redo the site. I'm going to allow members to upload pictures and video's and you'll even be allowed to hotlink from the pictures.

I'd love to get all your DIY instructions. The screens in the sunvisors are 7" and I bought them from eBay already installed in the sunvisors.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:39 PM

The color of my door panels are a tad lighter than my interior. I'm going to go with an ebony interior out of another F-bod eventually. I have the hatch panels now from the same 99 TA I got my door panels from....but as for the color mismatch, its not a big deal. It is hardly noticeable.