Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Fake 35th LE on ebay... somebody call the cops!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 AM

Fake 35th LE on ebay... somebody call the cops!

This makes me kind of angry. The dealership selling the car doesn't know the car is a replica I doubt, but the original owner really went to SOME effort to pull this off as the real deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...lenotsupported

All 35th LEs had red C-pillars.

All 35th LEs came with ebony/pewter leather interiors with ebony/graphite/charcoal/whatever you want to call it carpet, headliner, and plastic.

All came with machined aluminum wheels with black accents.

This VIN is EVIL. Avoid it unless you WANT a replica. 2G1FP22G422109079

They really went through quite a bit of effort making this clone! But not enough to fool the people who know real from fake!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 AM

I knew it was a fake in the 1st pic.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 AM

Good eye. The majority of people who don't already have a Camaro wouldn't know that though. In fact, I'd still say half of Camaro owners couldn't spot this as a fake.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 AM

I sent the dealer selling it a message showing him this thread so they can properly advertise it.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Says, bidding has ended with zero bids. Wonder if they are just going to try and sell it off line.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
I knew it was a fake in the 1st pic.
The wheels are the main distinguishing factor.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

Smile Fake 35th ann

As the representative from Hawley Motor Sales Inc. I wish to thank those forum members who contacted us concerning our 02 Camaro SS eBaymotors auction where we had listed this car as a 35th Anniversary Edition. We want to apologize to anyone that we have offended and would like you all to know our dealership had no idea this car is a fake replica. We immediately ended the auction as soon as we were notified by forum members. This Camaro will be relisted with the correct information.
It was never our intention to deceive any potential buyer as we take our reputation (on eBaymotors also) seriously. Because of your fellow forum members, we have averted what could have turned out to be a litigated matter.
Thanks again forum members! This is truly a fantastic website.
Sincerely,
Jim Davis, TA
Hawley Motor Sales Inc.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Very nice response by the dealership.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM

I'm just glad we could help and prevent you from having an angry buyer.

It wasn't your fault that the car was made into a clone.

Still a nice car! Many people like to heavily modify the 35th Anniversary cars, essentially ruining the ability for the car to be turned back to stock, so I'm sure someone would be very interested in this one, because it looks a lot like one and wouldn't be like destroying one of the limited ones.

The 35th LEs came with some (not many... but some) unique parts that you couldn't get on other Camaros making them somewhat difficult to turn back to original. The brake calipers being anodized is the first feature that comes to mind. If somebody changed out the brakes with Corvette brakes, and threw away the originals, then there's no going back, because who's going to sell you their original anodized brake calipers? Not many people I would think.

Anyway, glad you guys were reputable and willing to change the ad. I've emailed sellers of fake 30th Anniversary cars before, and they wouldn't change their claims of legitimacy.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM

A vehicle of this nature, you would think the dealership would have check the VIN, to verify the authenticity of said vehicle...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 AM

Checking the VIN of the car wouldn't even be something I know how to do, and well... you know I know this stuff pretty well, so I wouldn't fault them for that. Unless they had access to a list of the VIN #s like the moderator on 35thle.com, they wouldn't know.

I don't think Carfax would tell you if it was a 35th LE or not. It might, I don't remember if it translates the RPO codes or not.

Only way to really check is the RPO code list, which has to have WU8 for SS, and Z4C for Anniversary Edition. Unless you were a member of a Camaro messageboard, or a Camaro fan, you wouldn't know those things either. There are some other 35th LE specific RPO codes like QG4 for the machined aluminum wheels too.

So I still don't fault them for not knowing. It'd be very, very, very easy to not know.

Last edited by Brangeta; 07-29-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM

yay Bangeta

+2 e-**** points
Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Also to clear up some confusion, every 2002 Camaro including V6 models has a "35th anniversary Camaro" tag next to the air vent above the hvac controls. Some people will try to sell it for more because they think it's a special edition Camaro.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Was there ever a Camaro with two-tone door panels?

Seems like even someone who knows nothing at all about Camaros would have guessed it was suspect because of that.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM

No, never two-tone door panels. Classic Soft Trim makes replacement leather/vinyl and have a pattern that allows for two-tone that looks pretty neat though.

That's factory for beige, so that wouldn't be considered two-tone technically. They never made the speaker covers and switches and such in tan.

Quick Reply: Fake 35th LE on ebay... somebody call the cops!