Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Factory Paint is cracking on me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:04 AM

Factory Paint is cracking on me.

I have been having this problem for the last 6 to 9 months. The factory paint just plain sucks on these cars. First the black t-bar on my car got these little bubbles in the paint. Now the driver's door has 5 1"-2" cracks in the paint, up near the window. The left front fender has a crack about 4" to 5" The rear spoiler has a 3 cracks ranging in size from 1" to 3" The area under the spoiler, up near the window has a couple of 4" cracks in it. Also the hood has a spot on the edge where it meets the right front fender where the clear coat is coming off.

My question is do I have any sort of recourse with GM on this issue? My car is of course a 1999 with 65,000 miles on it. It is waxed once a month, washed once a week, and always garage kept. Did GM issue any recalls regarding paint defects? My car is a 1999, Navy Blue Metallic with black mirrors and t-top hoop. I'm not sure of the trim codes, but if somebody would tell me how to read my door sticker, I'll give them to you.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM

Re: Factory Paint is cracking on me.

Couple of Questions:
1. Are you the original owner of the car? It's possible that the car could have been painted by a less than reputable body shop at some time.
2. If I remember right, did'nt GM offer a 100,000 mile warranty on the body of their cars? I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember a malibu commercial saying something like that. Maybe you can start there with a dealership.
3. GM uses water based paint as opposed to the solvent based paints normally used by shops, (not in CA) They have been notorious for peeling. You probably do have some sort of recourse through GM as this is definitely a quality issue.

Good Luck.