Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

ebay find of the week: One of my Dream Camaros, and one of... my nightmares

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM

ebay find of the week: One of my Dream Camaros, and one of... my nightmares

First, let's start with the DREAM CAMARO. This is a '96 SS (yes, a real one) in Bright Teal Metallic. This color was only used on SSes in 1996, and only 77 were made in this color. If you want to get really technical (and I always do), that makes Bright Teal SSes the rarest GM factory original 1996-97 SS (yeah, yeah, SLP did the SSes, but the reasoning still stands).

I haven't seen one with low mileage, in great condition, on ebay in several years now. This one is incredible at only 19,997 miles!

The only modifications are the wheels (owner still has the original ones) and the addition of a Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace.

I rather like the wheels, so if I was buying the car, I'd leave those on it. I'd lower the car with a some sort of koni, eibach, and bilstein combination to give it a really nice stance.

The last year of the nicer non-perforated leather seats... the nicer looking (in my opinion) dash... and the automatic transmission with performance axle ratio. What more could you ask for? Most would rather have a manual transmission, but I'm one of the minority who really enjoys the automatic in Camaros.

Look how clean that engine bay is. It's spotless. Yank that Hotchkis strut tower brace off, paint it black, stick it back on, and call it done!

Awesome to see one of these that is still low mileage. Wish I had the money and a place to put it!

Now... let's talk about the nightmare. I'm not even going to say much. Just look at it, and get sick to your stomach.

Please... don't make your Camaro ugly like this.

p.s. this one isn't a real SS.

Last edited by Brangeta; 07-23-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM

Loose that god awful hood and the badges and it would be fine.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:04 PM

My z28 was the teal originally, but I couldnt stand it, I had to paint it black =P
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM

The dashboard from the 96 SS is from the 1st half of the 2nd gens and IMHO looks much more driver-centric. It wraps inward toward the driver. The 97 SS, looks similar on the outside (except for amber rear turnsignals and running lights), but has the 2nd half of the 2nd gens dashboard, which IMHO looks plain and basic.

What SLP options came with it? Bilstein Lev II suspension? Performance exhaust?

In my opinion, the stock ZR-1 wheels are the best looking wheels...period.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

What's up with the top on that teal SS? Looks like a targa top, does it come off or is it just painted black?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Larsv8
My z28 was the teal originally, but I couldnt stand it, I had to paint it black =P
OK AC/DC.

I found a gorgeous modded Bright Teal '96 SS on the internet that I used as inspiration for my previous car ('97 Z28 M6 - Mystic Teal Metallic) but I didn't get very far before I found a Arctic White '97 SS for sale that I had to have. I was going to make my '97 Z a SS clone (no emblems, chrome wheels, etc.) which would've been pretty unique being Mystic Teal Metallic. It wasn't my favorite color but I wasn't going to spend the $$$ for a full repaint.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Found the pic on my photobucket (now that I'm not at work): I wasn't going to do the ugly decals and billet grille though.

Name:  DSC00170.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=6SpdLT1Z;6052880]OK AC/DC.

Actually it was the Rolling Stones.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Found the pic on my photobucket (now that I'm not at work): I wasn't going to do the ugly decals and billet grille though.

That's gorgeous besides the ugly billet grill!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM

So, I am the high bidder on the teal ss right now.... Does anyone have anymore info on this rare find? Is it a real SS? Why is there no bowtie on the front clip???? It is beautiful (that is why I am bidding on it!) but is it a real SS?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The silver car isn't great, but that's your nightmare?

Even if we accept that your nightmare is a poorly done Camaro, shouldn't your nightmare be something more like this?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM

The E-Bay add shows the decals from SLP and the codes, which has the WU8 code. So YES it is a real "SS".
Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by purplezgirl
So, I am the high bidder on the teal ss right now.... Does anyone have anymore info on this rare find? Is it a real SS? Why is there no bowtie on the front clip???? It is beautiful (that is why I am bidding on it!) but is it a real SS?
Real SS with 19,000 miles. How can you lose?

It looks like they put SS on the front bumper. The bowtie was just a decal I think anyway. I haven't looked at it lately underneath the license plate bracket, but I'm pretty sure it's just a thick decal that comes off.

Check the RPO codes somewhere like camarosource.ca and see if it has any rare hidden options.

What year purple Z28 do you have?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Real SS with 19,000 miles. How can you lose?

It looks like they put SS on the front bumper. The bowtie was just a decal I think anyway. I haven't looked at it lately underneath the license plate bracket, but I'm pretty sure it's just a thick decal that comes off.

Check the RPO codes somewhere like camarosource.ca and see if it has any rare hidden options.

What year purple Z28 do you have?
It's a badge basically, applied the same way as a Z28 emblem on the fender. Peel back the paper and stick it on.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplezgirl
You'll have to get the VIN and contact SLP to be 100% sure. The bowtie is removable. Some didn't even get them put on because (if I remember correctly) they were sent from the factory with the license plate bracket installed on them. If the dealers installed the bracket, the bowtie was usually under it.

Quick Reply: ebay find of the week: One of my Dream Camaros, and one of... my nightmares