Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Drilling hingest for aftermarket hood

Old 05-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Drilling hingest for aftermarket hood

So my SS hood doesn't fit quite perfectly. It needs to be over toward the passenger side like 1/8", and is raised up above the fenders about 1/8" on each side. I've read this is very common and that all I really need to do is drill out the holes in the hinges so that I'm able to give it some more play.

Which hinges are you guys talking about drilling out?

And it fits perfect up front. Lines up with the bumper just fine, and I have my rubber mounts adjusted OK. The only problem is on the sides.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Was it labeled as a direct replacement? If so send it back and demand they pay the shipping charges.

The last thing you want to do is start drilling holes and voiding their warranty or product reliability.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Captain
Was it labeled as a direct replacement? If so send it back and demand they pay the shipping charges.

The last thing you want to do is start drilling holes and voiding their warranty or product reliability.
Have you ever ordered an aftermarket hood before? I really doubt any company would say it's a direct replacement.

But if it's off ALOT and they are a reputable company (not eBay) than you MITE have a chance of sending it back.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM

I wouldn't say it's off a lot. It's probably off about as much as any other aftermarket fiberglass hood.

I'm not going to drill in the hood. I'm assuming I drill the hinges that are bolted to the hood?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM

???? You only have two hood hinges, so I'm a little confused. What other hinges would you drill? Anyway the hinges should already have slots that allow you to adjust the hood relative to the hinges. If you need more adjustment you can increase the length/size of these holes by drilling or grinding them larger. You may also need to adjust the fenders, they too should have slotted holes and/or shims that allow some adjustment.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM

If your factory hood fit fine dont go adjusting the fenders (not that you even can adjust the fenders from side to side) If it fits up front and the sides are off make the whole bigger on the hinges from left to right.To get the hood down in the back you need to elongate the wholes on the hinges that bolt to the car not where they bolt to the hood.There are 3 bolts that atatch them.If you need ne help let me know and i can send you pics of my hinges.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JC95Z
If your factory hood fit fine dont go adjusting the fenders (not that you even can adjust the fenders from side to side) If it fits up front and the sides are off make the whole bigger on the hinges from left to right.To get the hood down in the back you need to elongate the wholes on the hinges that bolt to the car not where they bolt to the hood.There are 3 bolts that atatch them.If you need ne help let me know and i can send you pics of my hinges.
If you already have pics of your hinges, send them plz. I'd appreciate that. That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

swoeman815@hotmail.com
Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Ok, so the hinges are not the problem. The hood looks great aside from being up about 1/8" higher than the fenders.

The problem is, I'm hitting the plastic radiator cover with the belt diagram. So I pulled that, and it fit much better, but not quite perfect. So I pulled the radiator cap. Now it sits perfect on that side, but the other side is hitting the top of my cold air intake.

So the problem is the clearance on the hood. My hood is an actual ram air with the ducts, and the tunnels are hitting.

If anybody has had this problem, what'd you do to fix it?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Have you ever ordered an aftermarket hood before? I really doubt any company would say it's a direct replacement.

But if it's off ALOT and they are a reputable company (not eBay) than you MITE have a chance of sending it back.
If I am going to pay $500+ for something, it better bolt right up and fit without any problems. I understand those rubber spacers would probably need to be adjusted, but thats it. No drilling new holes or having to modify it to make it look right. Thats just my opinion though.I work too hard for my money to just throw it away on junk.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM

If I am going to pay $500+ for something, it better bolt right up and fit without any problems. I understand those rubber spacers would probably need to be adjusted, but thats it. No drilling new holes or having to modify it to make it look right. Thats just my opinion though.I work too hard for my money to just throw it away on junk.
From what I understand, whenever you buy a fiberglass hood it is expected that there will be some prep in getting the hood to fit perfectly.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 PM

ill get you some pics by the end of the weekend
Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by raroz28
From what I understand, whenever you buy a fiberglass hood it is expected that there will be some prep in getting the hood to fit perfectly.
I understand that, but my point is I shouldnt have to start drilling new holes and wasting a lot of my time to get it to work. Just like anything aftermarket, there is going to be a margin of error.

Apparently the OP figured out his problem and didnt have to drill new holes. Im glad for you man, because if that was the case I would have been sending it back. Im not too sure about your other problems, but if it comes to you having to hack and chop the hood to make it fit, send it back for a replacement, and make them pay the shipping.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 PM

I understand that, but my point is I shouldnt have to start drilling new holes and wasting a lot of my time to get it to work. Just like anything aftermarket, there is going to be a margin of error.

Apparently the OP figured out his problem and didnt have to drill new holes. Im glad for you man, because if that was the case I would have been sending it back. Im not too sure about your other problems, but if it comes to you having to hack and chop the hood to make it fit, send it back for a replacement, and make them pay the shipping.
You haven't dealt with many aftermarket hoods have you? I've had three, on three different vehicles. I had Harwood on my camaro; it took some minor prepping and a good bit of aligning. It was still off then on the pass side fender it sat about 1/4" low - payed $270 through a hookup at a local speed shop - regular was 350. My silverado.. I spent $800 on a keystone styling ram-air hood. It fit PERFECT, and only required minor sanding on the edges where the resin did some bubbling/pin holes to the gel coat. Ebay superhawk hood... 10 hours of labor to make it fit and look right.... $360 on that one I believe + shipping. Honestly don't remember the price on the ebay hood, it may have been that much with shipping.. I forget lol.