Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Doh! Talk about bad timing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Doh! Talk about bad timing.

Well.. over the winter I painted my calipers red. I always wanted to get them powder coated, but I figured, nah it will be way to expensive, I can do it myself for a lot cheaper.

So yeaterday I finally got around to putting my caliper back on and bleeding them (getting ready for spring, my car is stored right now). Oh, but completely off topic... I spent around 1.5 hours trying to put the damn front calipers back on! I'm thinking, wtf is the problem? I've put them on hundreds of times. I kept thinking "I've got to be putting them on the wrong side" So... I look at the caliper, and they both have CAST in "L" and "R" which I assumed to be LEFT and RIGHT (and left and right side of the car is always determined by the perspective of sitting in the driving seat facing forward, correct??) Well I guess not! I was putting them on the wrong side! What does that L and R mean?? lmao! My friend and I had a good laugh over that one.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm walking out of NAPA and this guy said he put a flyer on my windshield, and then starts to tell me that he does powercoating. So I ask him how much would it cost to PC calipers. He says about $20 CAD each! 80 bucks Canadian for all 4? I almost spent that much doing it myself! Even if it turns out to be $150 in the end, I'd consider it.

My question is.. what should I do? My calipers are redily excessable right now (all four wheels are off) and my brakes aren't completely bled yet, so I have to bleed them again anyway. Should I get them PC? My painting is decent, but I'm sure it's not as good as powerdercoated. Will my calipers being painted already be a hasstle to clean off?

Sorry for the unecessaryly long thread lol and thanks!
Old 03-26-2005, 02:45 PM

Re: Doh! Talk about bad timing.

I think it would be worth it - and I don't believe it would be a problem getting the paint off, anyone with a sandspray booth can do fast and easy....
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Don't forget to figure in the cost of rebuilding each caliper after powder coat.

But if you think the paint won't last go for it.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:16 PM

hey man
for $80 - go for it
their is no prices like this in TO area
one thing hough - paint does last if you do it properly
Old 03-27-2005, 06:12 PM

I was worried about the quality of work he did as well. However, my friend works at a shop called Ajax Engines. The owner there is really into drag racing and does top notch work (and expects the same quality in work from other people who do projects for him) Anyway, this guy has had plenty of his parts PC from this guy, and apparently he is very good.

I think my paint job is decent... but it's not spectacular. I figure, the worst this guy could be, is probably still nicer than what I did (considering I have never painted before.. and it was just a simple out of a spray can job)

I will ask to see some of his work though... and I'll ask him for a dead absolute price before I let him do it.

Thanks for the help guys! Any other imput would be great.