Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Do you have a more upscale looking interior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Do you have a more upscale looking interior?

I don't mean just slapping on faux carbon fiber decals or white overlay gauges.

I like the dash layout on our cars, but the plastic looks a bit to shiny and cheap... I was thinking maybe someone had wrapped the instrument hood, console, etc with real leather, suede, etc as well as a real leather custom steering wheel, parking brake and leather covers? Has anyone changed the vinyl in the doors for real leather, or redone the interior with good quality materials all around (not just leather on the seat top or backrest front like the factory does)? Maybe someone sprayed some kind of flattening clear to make it look more like the Vette's finish?

My dash pad is cracked, and I was thinking that instead of getting a new one I could repair it and cover with black suede (it would not reflect the sun on the windshield)

how about fully integrated electronics (not a separate tuner, portable nav, separate sirius and radar detector, with pieces hanging everywhere and looking like add-ons) something that looks like the factory would have done it?

I know our cars are not that new if you compare them to a new Benz or Lexus, but maybe someone here has done something creative to make it look more upscale inside? maybe more technical looking with aluminum trim?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 AM

I'd like to do exactly what you're talking about in the future (5 to 10 years). I'd really like to make it look nicer. I can't find the picture I was looking for, but there is a Camaro in Japan that has a leather wrapped dash. The lower part is red, but the top part is black.

This is Camaro Casanova's car, he sanded everything down and painted it white.

I want to make my interior look as nice as this...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Well, I don't like painted plastic... that has been overdone and is a bit too cheesy, is not like you had a molded urethane part in a specific color.

I was thinking of a subtle combination of high grade materials and maybe aluminum trim (like a luxury GT car), not exactly colors that jump out at you like a modified import. It could be for example black perforated leather/black suede/aluminum, although the aluminum craze came on after our cars left the production line so it can be a little difficult to adapt or make some pieces to fit the interior, so at least satin black could do it.

I saw in a forum some time ago a guy that had machined and polished some metal bezels for his 3rd. gen T/A instruments (the car had a burgundy exterior), it looked classy and nice.

I guess that for the electronics you would have to go to a fully integrated system in a flip-up screen, like the latest kenwoods or alpines that can integrate a nav module/sirius/cd/dvd playback/backup camera. for a radar detector I would go with a concealed module unit, like the valentine one that has a remote screen, so there are no cords hanging to the lighter and no silly suction cups in the windshield.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM

not mine

Last edited by v7guy; 08-09-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Lethal93ta: Nicey! I love the TA vent gages... One other reason I'd like one... NICE !
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM

That looks cool, I like it.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by lethal93ta

I think he said upscale... not nascar... lol's...

BTW do the guages you used for the speedo and tach work well?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 PM

everything from autometer is top notch.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by lethal93ta
everything from autometer is top notch.
Did you ahve any problems wiring them in? Did you go to through the PCM or does Autometer have thier own seperate signals you have to use?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM

you have to use everything from autometer. its a load of work to wire everything up.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM

nice interior lethal, but if you went to all the pain to intall the gauges, why didn't you tuck in all the wires under the dash? are you missing the plastic cover maybe? sorry, It's just that I am very detail oriented...lol
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

His panel is off... but Lethal has one of the best guage setups I've seen on here in a long time.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 PM

When I posted the thread I was thinking along the lines of these pics...

Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 AM

You and I my friend are thinking along the exact same lines. I haven't done mine yet as I haven't priced it but overseas in Germany where I'm at currently a project like this would set you back 5-7K from what I've been told. But it's the top of the line materials.

My plan is this. Suede the dash, leave the center console as is unless it can be sueded and not look gawdy, all the interior panels covered in suede, door panels a combination of suede and leather figuring the top cloth piece in leather and the lower area in houndstooth. My seats would covered in suede and the insert leather houndstoothe. That's my goal and hopefully it'll be accomplished fall 08' unless I can find it done here for less.
Originally Posted by Interceptor1
When I posted the thread I was thinking along the lines of these pics...

Quick Reply: Do you have a more upscale looking interior?